Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tom Cairney

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
Be interested in how he would fit into a Newcastle side - Benitez plays 4-2-3-1 does he not? Shelvey and Cairney would be one hell of a 2 sitting in but not exactly combative. Unless you think he'd sit behind the front man?

Brighton fans should be warned that WHEN you go up, you will face the same problems as Burnley have had when it comes to signing the best championship players.

In 2014/15, we tried to sign the likes of Bryson and Lansbury but they were already earning MORE at Derby and Forest, respectively.

In 2016/17, Burnley have more tv money but the selling clubs know that and consequently increase the player's price eg: Burnley being forced to pay over the odds for Hendrick (£10 million) and Brady (£13 million) when we signed a a SUPERIOR player in Steven Defour from Anderlecht for just £7.5 million.

If you want players like Cairney, be prepared to pay well over the odds.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Brighton fans should be warned that WHEN you go up, you will face the same problems as Burnley have had when it comes to signing the best championship players.

In 2014/15, we tried to sign the likes of Bryson and Lansbury but they were already earning MORE at Derby and Forest, respectively.

In 2016/17, Burnley have more tv money but the selling clubs know that and consequently increase the player's price eg: Burnley being forced to pay over the odds for Hendrick (£10 million) and Brady (£13 million) when we signed a a SUPERIOR player in Steven Defour from Anderlecht for just £7.5 million.

If you want players like Cairney, be prepared to pay well over the odds.

I'll not give you false platitudes about not wanting to be rude, instead I'm just going to be rude :lol:
Brighton won't have the same problems as Burnley, because Brighton (Tony Bloom) isn't as stupid as Burnley!

Sure the season after a promotion is always tough, like every other season I have no idea if this years promoted teams will sink or swim.

But what Mr Bloom has attempted to do is future proof the Albion.
There's the stadium that Burnley could only dream about.
A training facility that ALL clubs, with the exception of Man City, can only dream about.
One of the most respected managers in football.
Backed up by a committed and most importantly consistent board.

I know feck all about the inner works of the club but even I know, for a fact, the Albion will not be 'forced to pay over the odds' for anybody.
With everything in place TB won't he held to ransom by some 2 bit, overpaid, overhyped, Championship mercenaries agent.

I don't imagine any player would be welcome if they tried to squeeze a bit more from TB after being presented with the whole package.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

I like the way some think that we are the only fans to realise how good he is and that joining us is in our gift.

I would love to see him join us, but I'd be amazed if Fulham or Cairney agreed that we are the club who will pay the most for his services and if Fulham go up too (still a solid possibility) then they will want to keep him.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Norwood and Sidwell are hardly starters. So, if it were to happen, you'd bin Stephens/Kayal.

I love modern football.

PS. We are still in The Championship.
What has it got to do with modern football?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think y'man has more pressing problems with his statement.

I'm sure he'll get there eventually.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea

Playing FIFA then adapting a similar 'throwaway' approach to players. Assuming that the PL, should we ever get there, is some perfect pinnacle full of milk and honey where perspective on possible purchases and money goes out of the window.

Stephens and Kayal are already being talked of in a sense of 'when we go up we need to break the bank' to replace one or both.

I just feel fans would enjoy the whole thing more if they simply took it game by game, rather than speculating on what League we might end up in next term and players we might wish for (even though they are clearly beyond our budget).

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Burnley have been helped by Sean Dyche doing an amazing job. I agree that Cairney is an unlikely signing, with much better value to be had from Spain than the Championship.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Playing FIFA then adapting a similar 'throwaway' approach to players. Assuming that the PL, should we ever get there, is some perfect pinnacle full of milk and honey where perspective on possible purchases and money goes out of the window.

Stephens and Kayal are already being talked of in a sense of 'when we go up we need to break the bank' to replace one or both.

I just feel fans would enjoy the whole thing more if they simply took it game by game, rather than speculating on what League we might end up in next term and players we might wish for (even though they are clearly beyond our budget).

So, you assume no players will leave Brighton next season?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
So, you assume no players will leave Brighton next season?

Making no assumptions. Watching the season pan out, enjoying the games then see where we are come May/June. Not even worried right now, just waiting for next Saturday.

Moves will depend upon which League we are playing in next year, yet to be determined.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Making no assumptions. Watching the season pan out, enjoying the games then see where we are come May/June. Not even worried right now, just waiting for next Saturday.

Moves will depend upon which League we are playing in next year, yet to be determined.

Come rain or shine squads change in the summer and ours will be no different. As is fan speculation about who their clubs hire for the coming season. This whole thread is precisely that, speculation. If you check NSC you will see possibly thousands of similar threads on here since 2003. Players come and players go, but speculating on it isn't really such a crime.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Come rain or shine squads change in the summer and ours will be no different. As is fan speculation about who their clubs hire for the coming season. This whole thread is precisely that, speculation. If you check NSC you will see possibly thousands of similar threads on here since 2003. Players come and players go, but speculating on it isn't really such a crime.

Crime. Strong words mate. Bit OTT?

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
Be interested in how he would fit into a Newcastle side - Benitez plays 4-2-3-1 does he not? Shelvey and Cairney would be one hell of a 2 sitting in but not exactly combative. Unless you think he'd sit behind the front man?

Yeah, we'd play Hayden and Shelvey with Cairney up ahead of him. We're also apparently sniffing around Sigurdsson from Swansea.

I'd be surprised if we got either as we're more likely to try an unearth some kid from Spain, or wherever.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Youngest son told me that he read somewhere that when we get promoted we will not splash the cash on players but stick with the present squad basically, which I find rather surprising as I would have expected TB to want us to be secure in the Premier rather than recoup his money.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
Youngest son told me that he read somewhere that when we get promoted we will not splash the cash on players but stick with the present squad basically, which I find rather surprising as I would have expected TB to want us to be secure in the Premier rather than recoup his money.

I think that your youngest was probably quoting this article;

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/151..._spending_spree_if_they_reach_Premier_League/

Personally I think that indicates we will be being shrewd with our acquisitions rather than relying on the same squad as this season.

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
Usually a bad idea to overhaul the squad after promotion. You might lose the spirit and unity that got you up, the comfort with the style/system, disrupt the momentum. Better to add a player or two and make further changes in January if necessary.

Newcastle will be after a centre back, a centre forward, a #10 and maybe a couple more. What do you think you'll need?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here