Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
My 3 mates I ran with all walked some of it pay but all finished 5-10 mins ahead of me. I'm worried I won't be able to run 26 miles which is the sort of thing I'll hate - I want to try and run it all but just don't know if I will be able to. Loads of walkers for parts today - my pace was barely above walking pace last 3 - I'd have been better walking a few mins then running for 5 etc I'm sure but I'm too stubborn!! I guess it's a marathon and it's about the distance so if you do have to walk a bit cest la vie...?!

I did my 50th marathon two weeks ago, have never not walked at least a bit of one. No shame at all in walking.......there are several run/walk programmes that start faster than 3.30 pace. Chill out !

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Just as I was about to finish today (in BHA top) I got a 'well done... Up the palace!' From the sidelines - didn't even have the energy to raise the middle finger - that's how ****ed I was!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I did my 50th marathon two weeks ago, have never not walked at least a bit of one. No shame at all in walking.......there are several run/walk programmes that start faster than 3.30 pace. Chill out !

So it still counts then :lol: :thumbsup:

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Easy parkrun yesterday after a boozyAmex Friday. Only 21 secs outside my pb though. Zipped up to the dyke today and hacked a left 10.2km. Run run run!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Some good running across the board today, with so many events.

I enjoyed the West Worthing 10k probably about half a mile on the grass with the rest being on the flat of the prom. Conditions were perfect and I got to half way at 19:48 but even after 2 miles knew sub 40 minute pace was too quick and beyond my current ability. at half way just dug in and tried to finish. Pleased to clock 40:43, especially as most thought the course ran long. I clocked up 6:31miles as did most who commented at the finishing line. Still a very enjoyable race but I'd forgotten how tough 10k's are. Personally I think they are the toughest of all distances up to marathon. Such a fine line between running a perfect race and being able to barely finish.

Great work by [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] running home to Brighton after a 41:30 10k. Highly impressive, almost up there with [MENTION=67]Curious Orange[/MENTION] & [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] for achievement today.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Not even up Mount Caborn or Castle Hill today then ?? [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I don't know how ANYONE manages to run up those bad boys! I know it's all down to the training, etc – but the guys that manage it must be something else.

Well done to everyone else this weekend – just catching up with the thread and there seem some great performances.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
That would be a great time. Good luck.

I did my first ever 22 miles today. 3-36-45. Felt good but not sure how my legs are going to cope with another 4 miles.

The last 4 miles will be a doddle as the adrenaline and crowd get you through it
Don't panic and enjoy the whole day
My thinking is it's like sightseeing on legs on marathon day

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I doff my cap. Sensational time. You may hold the Nsc HM record based on that. Although Pembury is always up there.

I wouldn't know about that, I reckon one of the less chatty members has probably gone quicker. I'm not sure whether [MENTION=30744]Pembury[/MENTION] is that bothered about half marathons, they are quite short after all... that's why I do 'em - 'cos I'm lazy!!

Last edited:

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
I wouldn't know about that, I reckon one of the less chatty members has probably gone quicker. I'm not sure whether [MENTION=30744]Pembury[/MENTION] is that bothered about half marathons, they are quite short after all... that's why I do 'em - 'cos I'm lazy!!

Well the Brighton one was (quite short) by all accounts...

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly

I dunno know, I like any distance really. Give me a nice zippy 5 or 10k and I'm happy. Which does remind me I need to fit a Park run in soon to see where I am.. been putting it off!
[MENTION=67]Curious Orange[/MENTION] You're only lazy if your not blowing out of your ar*e at the beginning, middle or end! well at least that's my thinking!

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
With the Limassol marathon next Sunday I had a more relaxing weekend. Spin class Saturday morning and then a 10 miler on Sunday at just over my planned marathon pace.

10.1 miles @ 9.50 on the worth way. The route was very busy with runners, you can tell marathon season is about to start!

I think I am ready for Sunday, my only concern is the warm forecast, average temps are about 13/4 this time of the year but forecast to be that temp at 7am (start time) and rising to 20C by midday. They will be providing wet sponges at most drink stations!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The rain held off for the start of the Surrey Half today... then pelted it down for five minutes a mile in. Perfect running weather then, and I smashed my sub-1:30 target. The finish clock read 1:25:31 as I crossed the line, and my chip time was 1:25:24.6... think I might retire! :D

Sensational time, well done!

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
So I ran the Bath Half Marathon yesterday.

after some very decent training runs I was left slightly disappointed but ready to kick on for the next one - maybe Tewksbury or Bristol/Cheltenham later in the year.

I did 1.41.12. Not happy with my race discipline, at mile 7 I was running at 7.24 which was far faster than I wanted to. Just went out too fast for the second time and wouldn't have had that kick that I wanted at mile 11.

also (this time not my fault) I literally stopped completely at mile 11 for an Ambulance!! so frustrating and although what I said previously I wouldn't have had that final kick this made starting again tricky.

so a few questions to the experienced runners out there!

just how to you ignore others and run your own race - especially at the start?
should you run the distance before? I ran 13.1 miles 10 days before.
at the end I felt fine cardio wise but fairly dizzy - this leaves me confused as to whether I left some out there or not...

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

after some very decent training runs I was left slightly disappointed but ready to kick on for the next one - maybe Tewksbury or Bristol/Cheltenham later in the year.

I did 1.41.12. Not happy with my race discipline, at mile 7 I was running at 7.24 which was far faster than I wanted to. Just went out too fast for the second time and wouldn't have had that kick that I wanted at mile 11.

also (this time not my fault) I literally stopped completely at mile 11 for an Ambulance!! so frustrating and although what I said previously I wouldn't have had that final kick this made starting again tricky.

at the end I felt fine cardio wise but fairly dizzy - this leaves me confused as to whether I left some out there or not...

First things first, 1.41 is still a decent time, so well done.

In answer to your questions, in my limited experience, I would say:

1) Try and stick with a pacer. If there is no pacer there, try and find someone who appears to be doing a similar pace to what you want to achieve. It's SO hard to do, and I rarely manage it, but it IS possible. The other thing is maybe start nearer the back of the field so you are in amongst slower runners, but ones that you are able to get through once the pack thins out a bit.
2) I don't think it's essential to run the full distance, but a lot of people like to just to know they can get around the course. I probably wouldn't do it that close to race day – certainly not at anywhere near to race pace.
3) Might be dehydration? I find I recover (as in getting my breath back, etc) really quickly after shorter distance races), but can feel a bit faint/lightheaded/knackered.

Good luck!

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon

Are you a regular half marathon runner ?
If so the distance shouldn't leave you dizzy etc unless you were dehydrated or hadn't fuelled properly before the race
You will always go quicker in a race as the crowd etc and adrenaline kicks in
(I planned to run London marathon at 9.30 pace but ran it at 8.45 pace !!)
Plus if you train alone all the time your natural instinct is to catch the runner in front of you everytime ( that's your sub conscious for you)
Shouldn't make any difference running that distance only 10 days before as plenty of recovery time in there as well

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here