Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How good can Solly March become?...

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
That was at home to Cardiff. I don't think that's an example of him being inconsistent, that was the game when he realised he was better than the opposition, and he's never looked back.

Hughton said in an interview the other day that Knockaert was the type of player that wouldn't be able to produce every game. Although different, I expect that could also apply a little to Solly.

Remember the game well...he started getting stuck in..got a bit of confidence and murdered the full back in the second half

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Hailsham!!!!
He's one of our own, he's one of .........

Not sure there have been any other professionals from Hailsham.

Edit - professional FOOTBALLER before I get any unhappy electricians/plumbers etc.

T.G

Mar 30, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
That was at home to Cardiff. I don't think that's an example of him being inconsistent, that was the game when he realised he was better than the opposition, and he's never looked back.

Hughton said in an interview the other day that Knockaert was the type of player that wouldn't be able to produce every game. Although different, I expect that could also apply a little to Solly.

Regardless of the reason his performance was completely different in the second half (therefore it was an inconsistent performance) and I have seen him drift out of games and go missing on a few occasions. However, my main point is that he is at his best a sublime and very talented player. I love watching him in full flow and think he will and is becoming more consistent. Knockert does have the odd poor match, but more often is heavily involved and performs to a high standard. This is kinda what I meant by becoming more consistent, of course he is not going to set the world alight in every match, but needs to do so more than not.

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
Seems like he is getting his sharpness back. Also looks stronger than last season, most likely due to the gym work he has put in while injured.

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
Solly March is an unbelieveable player don't get me wrong, the only thing that does my head in is the fact he is so left footed it's painful sometimes. Whilst there's no doubting his ability and I know most players favour one foot, but his right boot is almost non existent will that caught out in the prem?
Minor rant aside though what a player we have at the club and let's hope we can keep hold of him
Someone on this thread was mentioned how good he played against Brum last season. I've just watched the highlights and apart from giving their LB a roasting , he scored a scorcher with his RIGHT... have a butchers Mr Blues

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Solly March is an unbelieveable player don't get me wrong, the only thing that does my head in is the fact he is so left footed it's painful sometimes. Whilst there's no doubting his ability and I know most players favour one foot, but his right boot is almost non existent will that caught out in the prem?
Minor rant aside though what a player we have at the club and let's hope we can keep hold of him

This is a prejudiced view. Might it be because the majority of people are right-footed or -handed that they notice left-footed players reliance on their strong foot, but are utterly oblivious to the same trait in right-footed players :shrug:

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
He's a special talent alright, destined for the very top if he stays fit. There were rumours of a £10m Southampton bid before he got injured. If we get promoted he could be worth three times that + easily.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Regardless of the reason his performance was completely different in the second half (therefore it was an inconsistent performance)
So you're unable to see that the first half belonged to the start of his career, and the second half matches the rest of his career?
and I have seen him drift out of games and go missing on a few occasions.
He played well, got injured, and has done well since returning from injury. I haven't seem these inconsistent performances.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
I suspect I'll be shot down for this, but he could be our Ronaldo, he appears to have the right attitude and I think if we get to the premier league, that's when his true talent will shine.

Importantly, he doesn't showboat unnecessarily unlike them up the road's so called star player.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
He needs a long unbroken injury free run in the side,come April the Championship will be raving about him.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I actually think he's the most elegant yet effective winger I've seen for the Albion. Don't get me wrong, AK is ahead of him, but Solly has the most effortless poise about him as he glides past players. From an attacking point of view he almost looks in slow-motion because it's so balanced, simple and controlled, but I bet from a defensive point of view it's all happening quicker than we could ever imagine.

All of this: Solly March in flight is a thing to behold.
One thing that no-one has mentioned, and warrants mentioning, is his remarkably improved decision-making over the past year or so. [MENTION=4019]Triggaaar[/MENTION] states a popular view when he identifies that Cardiff game, where March turned things on and battered the opposition after a muted start. Prior to the Cardiff game last season, there never was a problem with his trickery or belief, in my view, the problem was with his decision-making and composure, especially at crucial moments. Now, he seems to know when to take on the opposition, when to pass, when to shoot, when to get to the byline and cross the ball. His decision-making at present is better than Knockaert's and it is this that makes me think he might even have a better future in the game than our Petit Magicien.
One other thing about March (and I've said this in another thread): watching him play on the left indicates the forgotten beauty of an orthodox (as opposed to inverted) winger; it's this kind of thing that makes football the most beautiful of games.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Could be the next Darren Anderton, ie be an obvious England selection, but only ever fit for half a season. I hope I am wrong and he can stay relatively injury free.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Hughton interview after the game - Solly doesn't respond well to man marking, but benefited when the game opened up in the second half. That will be the challenge he faces when making the step up to Prem football (which he will, hopefully with us)

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
That run at Lincoln and whopping the crossbar is what he's all about....real talent this lad and hope he has a run and doesn't get crocked again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here