Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are we cheats?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
In compliance with FFP as the losses are assessed over a three year period, and so no sanctions are applied until the end of 2019/20.

So let me ask you again, where will we be in Nov 2017, which we will be sanctioned for come 2019?

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
I'm so glad its the International break, I might have missed this Bin Fest if we were playing today.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Total losses in the Championship last season are set to be in the region of £300 million.

The problem arises due to the gulf in TV money between the PL and the Championship.

If clubs in the Championship ran a breakeven model it would allow small clubs in the PL (let us take Crystal Palace as an example) to cherry pick any player they wanted.

When Palace came in for Dunk this summer, the Albion responded by giving him a pay rise, which narrowed the gap between what the Croydon Hillbillies were prepared to pay him. We've done similar for other bids for players, but it does mean that clubs will run at a loss.

It's not an economic model that makes sense, unless you factor in the rewards of promotion, which are a minimum of £180 million.

Fully understand your point about morality, but there are lots of immoral issues in sport.

I agree again, but what is the point of FFP rules, it seems its no more than a nearly random red line that means very little on how football runs its affairs, a kind of pointless effort to save football from itself, just as well return to a free for all, seems thats whats happening beneath that FFP threshold anyway.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
You remember that option to ban an individual poster from a thread?
Might be for the best. [MENTION=17215]Sussex Nomad[/MENTION] not coming out of this one well.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
You remember that option to ban an individual poster from a thread?
Might be for the best. [MENTION=17215]Sussex Nomad[/MENTION] not coming out of this one well.

Do you seriously think I care?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
So let me ask you again, where will we be in Nov 2017, which we will be sanctioned for come 2019?

You're on the windup now .... you must be .... nobody can really be this stupid !

A straight question, do YOU understand the difference between accounting loses and FFP loses ? If so, please explain.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Oh dear, the natives have seriously rallied here. Forget the original question and all have a binfest. Bens Grandad I know what it's like now! lol

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Possibly a reaction to your first post? I love drama queens.

Excuses. You still cannot accept you are wrong.

When you buy a house, it usually goes up in value. When you buy a football stadium, it depreciates. The stadium has gone down in value by 5 million pound in the year you are talking about. That is counted as a £5 million loss in the accounts. It's called depreciation, but has nothing to do with FFP which refers to the playing budget only. The money spent on the Youth Academy doesn't count towards FFP either, as the League allows it.

That's how I understand it. So now do you see, that we haven't broken FFP rules, or to put it in another analogy given to help you, we are doing 68 mph in a 70 zone.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Excuses. You still cannot accept you are wrong.

When you buy a house, it usually goes up in value. When you buy a football stadium, it depreciates. The stadium has gone down in value by 5 million pound in the year you are talking about. That is counted as a £5 million loss in the accounts. It's called depreciation, but has nothing to do with FFP which refers to the playing budget only. The money spent on the Youth Academy doesn't count towards FFP either, as the League allows it.

That's how I understand it. So now do you see, that we haven't broken FFP rules, or to put it in another analogy given to help you, we are doing 68 mph in a 70 zone.

Sorry, what was I wrong about, please enlighten me.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I agree again, but what is the point of FFP rules, it seems its no more than a nearly random red line that means very little on how football runs its affairs, a kind of pointless effort to save football from itself, just as well return to a free for all, seems thats whats happening beneath that FFP threshold anyway.
\

Agree that FFP is very flawed, the new TV deal has meant that it had to we watered down at Championship level (it still exists at PL level but the rules are complex).

I'm a very vocal non fan of FFP at the higher levels, as the original intentions were for 'big' clubs to prevent smaller clubs being a competitive threat to them. In L1 and L2 there is an effective wage cap instead of FFP and that has prevented clubs going bust.

However it has been very successful at lower levels, can you recall the last club that went into administration in the Football League*? In the 90's and 00's there were up to 7 club a season going bust.

* Coventry City in March 2013.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
The stadium has gone down in value by 5 million pound in the year you are talking about.

assuming the stadium was £100m to build, in 14 years it will be worth nothing.....

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
tank-4.jpg

It's what International breaks were made for

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I love it when the majority just go all Donald Trump and agree with the person with most votes... please continue.

It's an analogy for the hard of thinking.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here