Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

POYET: "Brighton are ready for the Premier League, and I’d love my old team to get there."

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Didnt he leave Vicente sitting on the bench though? The one player that could have won the game on his own.

Yep. THAT.

Vicente would have ran them ragged and probably put chances on a plate for Barnes!

Do you not think Vicente on for the last half hour would have created more chances for someone to score than the one Barnes effort?

No, he left him out of the squad altogether. He wasn't on the bench. Big mistake.

Just to put the record straight, as [MENTION=22849]Stato[/MENTION] says, Vicente was not in the squad at all that night. But Vicente has admitted himself that it was HE (and not Poyet) that made that decision:-

The manager wanted me to train but I didn't feel good. On Sunday I trained with a lot of discomfort and on Monday I wasn't 100 per cent for a match like that. I preferred that a team-mate who was in better shape played.

Vicente.jpg

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Seems quite conciliatory. Maybe time to cut Gus a little slack now.

I completely agree. He has his faults but he is an Albion legend, supplied me with my best ever season of watching an Albion team and was a loveable character. None of us know the ins and outs of the departure - I'm sure it wasn't just Gus who did things wrong. I think he deserves a bit more credit than people in here give him - he made us into a brand of attractive football & was in charge of a very, very successful period at the club. Thanks Gus.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Yes, it ended badly, but Gus was one of best and most important managers we've ever had and for all of those good times I'll always be grateful to him.

He gave the club an identity on the pitch. He took in players that hadn't lived up to their potential and helped them develop. He took us from League One relegation fodder to Championship contenders in a very short time.

Did he get everything right? No. Was it all perfect? No. But I don't think anyone else that was available at the time would have had quite the same impact.

Sure, he had an ego and yes, he was always keeping an eye out for the top jobs, but these days people are a bit too quick to forget how good he was for us.

I hadn't read this when I posted above mate but we've pretty much written the same thing!

CAPTAIN GREALISH

Jan 6, 2010
I completely agree. He has his faults but he is an Albion legend, supplied me with my best ever season of watching an Albion team and was a loveable character. None of us know the ins and outs of the departure - I'm sure it wasn't just Gus who did things wrong. I think he deserves a bit more credit than people in here give him - he made us into a brand of attractive football & was in charge of a very, very successful period at the club. Thanks Gus.

best football for 30 years will never forget that cheers gus

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
best football for 30 years will never forget that cheers gus

Agreed mate. Yes, as others have said he can be his own worst enemy but we should never forget the 4 extremely successful seasons he took charge of ever..

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Haters gunna hate. Lickers gunna lick.

I don't think this article will change what anyone thinks of the man, but I found the insight very interesting.
Yep and poyet can do nout wrong in your eyes....He disrespected the hand that fed him and you should never tout about other clubs while being paid by us.

Horrible cretin of a bloke

Opinions opinions

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
No, he left him out of the squad altogether. He wasn't on the bench. Big mistake.

However I am still of the view that Poyet's biggest error in preparation for the semi was picking Hammond instead of Lua Lua to start. This was fine for the away leg, but he should have gone for it. The previous Amex game had shown that Palace could not cope with Orlandi, Lopez, Buckley and Lua Lua as the threat came from everywhere and they weren't the best defensively. Holloway recognised this and didn't start Bolasie in the semi. Poyet should have had the confidence that his team could win an attacking game, but he was cautious, presumably because he wanted to contain Zaha. The St Patrick's Day game showed that Lua Lua had Zaha on the back foot, saw it as a personal battle and won it hands down. Poyet should have trusted him to do the same again.

I don't buy the argument that we lost because of a lack of leadership. Tony Bloom has made it clear that Poyet told him he wanted to leave before St Patrick's Day and our form after that game to the end of the season was the best in the league. There is no reason why this should have changed in the week before the second leg. I remember people on here expressing admiration for Poyet's performance at the player awards shortly before the game. Regardless that he had problems with the financial restrictions and lack of control that came with Barber's arrival, it was clear from his speech that he was still fully committed to that group of players and they to him. After the game, he threw his toys out of the pram and acted like an idiot and this marred his time with us. I can understand why some still can't forgive him and I can understand why some were frustrated by his over cautious approach, but let's be honest, at the times when his team clicked we all just sat there pinching ourselves wondering if we were really watching the Albion.
Apparently he turned up 20 mins before kick off in the playoff game as well...very poor negative team selection.It was if he wasn't bothered.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Yep and poyet can do nout wrong in your eyes....He disrespected the hand that fed him and you should never tout about other clubs while being paid by us.

Horrible cretin of a bloke

Opinions opinions
Spot on mate can't ever imagine CH acting like a spoilt brat. I heard the pre match Leeds press conference was a final straw for TB might not be true but who knows.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Am I alone in not having heard anything about an 8-point charge list for gross misconduct?

An 8 point complaint (though I don't remember specific points being rumoured) was rumoured, and would fit with the idea that the club wanted him gone and had compiled a list of things to get him with, just as much as it would indicate him doing lots of things wrong.

Apparently he turned up 20 mins before kick off in the playoff game as well...very poor negative team selection.It was if he wasn't bothered.

I believe that myth was dispelled a while back.

As I say, I heard it twice, independently. The facts fit, and the club is known for being very tight lipped about internal matters, look how long poo gate was a mystery. I kind of believe what I was told, Gus is a bit hot headed as is Charlie, I bet Tano just sat in his chair and watched though

There have also been lots of 'independent sources' of the rumour over Kuszczak and Oscar's wife, which seems to be completely false. One person posts it on a website, lots of readers then start sharing it, and seemingly independent source both pass on the rumour to you and hey presto, rumour from one source is taken as independently verified.

I remember the coach driver being rumoured as the culprit within days of it happening.

What I do remember about it at the time, was that there were a lot of people who claimed to have highly placed, reliable sources telling them exactly what happened. None of them could share details, of course, but they knew the truth, and depending on who was telling you they knew the unequivocal truth, the club were screwing Gus over. Or it's a bit of handbags, neither side would come out looking good so it was mutually beneficial for it to not come out. Or you would be so upset with Gus you'd drive him out of the club yourself.

I also remember the Argus - who are so often behind websites like NSC with revealing information because they always source and double check them and don't publish anything without confidence that it's true - posted Gus turned down a financial settlement offer. Then two days later, without reference to that article indicating a correction or clarification, claimed no financial settlement had been offered.

So I just have defaulted to not believing any rumour about what he is supposed to have done. And would recommend everyone to take any version of events they hear with a gigantic pinch of salt, regardless of how independent their sources may seem.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I also remember the Argus - who are so often behind websites like NSC with revealing information because they always source and double check them and don't publish anything without confidence that it's true - posted Gus turned down a financial settlement offer. Then two days later, without reference to that article indicating a correction or clarification, claimed no financial settlement had been offered.

Here is that first Argus article - D-Day looms for Poyet

The Argus understands The Uruguayan has already rejected one financial offer to settle the dispute and sever his ties with the club during an exhaustive four-week investigation into his conduct.

And then the second one - Poyet set for hearing

The Argus understands no financial offer has been made to him to settle his dispute and sever his ties with the club.

I think everyone has assumed that the first article was talking about the club offering Poyet a sum of money, which he refused. But surely a more likely scenario would be the club giving him a figure that they would accept FROM him to buy out the rest of his contract and end his employment without being sacked (somewhat similar to another club paying compensation if they had poached him)?

The club obviously thought they had sufficient cause to sack him without a financial payout (and, indeed, that is what transpired), so I'm not sure why they would be offering him a pay-off. And in August 2013, Paul Barber addressed the Supporters' Club AGM:-

Gus told us four days before a match against Crystal Palace he wanted to leave. From then on we were in a difficult situation but I can’t go into details of what followed. In an era of Financial Fair Play we’ve got a bigger responsibility than ever to protect the club’s assets, including the contracts with personnel and the money those contracts are worth.

Although the wording of the two Argus articles is inconclusive, it could be interpreted that the first was referring to Poyet rejecting the chance to buy out his contract, and the second was referring to the absence of an offer of payment FROM the club TO Poyet.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
When Gus was appointed, he spoke glowingly of the chairman who appointed him. Now he doesn't mention him at all but eulogises the Life President.

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
He mentions Vicente in the article who had a few things to say about how Gus behaved, something about how Gus wasn't a very nice human being.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Although the wording of the two Argus articles is inconclusive, it could be interpreted that the first was referring to Poyet rejecting the chance to buy out his contract, and the second was referring to the absence of an offer of payment FROM the club TO Poyet.

I find that extremely unlikely given how they are almost identically phrased. Even if the first one was referriing to them offering him an amount to buy out his contract, that would still make the second article wrong.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Not before time either. I have never believed, not for one single moment, that Poyet found out live on air he'd been sacked, but he seemed to revel in the idea of it happening like that.

If my memory of that time is right, it was the bbc that revelled in the story.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I disagree. If your leader is not leading it takes a lot of wind out of your sails. To win you need everyone on message and on side.

Although I agree with Mejona's first point about how Gus did respond to the game with his best options, I agree very much with this point of yours. Chelsea seem to be proving it this year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here