Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Being called ' Mate'. When is it ok?

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Over the years I have been on the receiving end of the following: Mush (in my teen years, an expression that seems to have died out), Duck, Love (by Northern shop workers), Boy (as an adult by an older well respected colleague), Mate, Mon (by a Scot) and Mun (in Wales). I have not been offended if the expression was in a friendly context.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Each to their own. My son is the most polite, respectful kid you could ever want to meet (ask his teachers, cricket coaches, other kids' parents etc) and I call him "mate" all the time. Because he's also my best mate.

He's also learnt that words do not define meaning but the use of them does.

Maybe at ten years old he gets that better than you do? Or maybe I'm still waiting for the downward spiral to kick in.

Society and parents treating their children as best mates...Discuss! :)

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
If someone is a friend then its acceptable, otherwise never.
Call me whatever it does not matter, git, ****, would rather be insulted than someone pretending to being a friend. Its
nothing to do with the superiority clap trap posted above.Its too informal for someone you just met.

Most cringy is on the police programmes when the pull someone over they always refer the the person as mate.
"can you step out the car please mate" My response would be, do i know you? your not a mate of mine are you?

Why cant they just say "can you step out the car please" there is no reason to use the word mate.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I call my son @wrongdirection mate all the time.
I also call him you ####!!!! ###!!! FFFFFFFFFFFFSAKKKE On a daily basis :moo:

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
A brummie guy came to work in Durban, security let him in to which he said cheers gaffer. Now if you know how offensive a rhyming word beginning with 'k' refereed to as the 'k' word to Zulus/black raced is you can imagine the reaction. Imagine someone opens a door for you and you say nice one c unt multiply it by a hundred. And this guy had a gun

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Agree with the OP. I don't like it, ever since

A few years back on the Lewes to London train the ticket inspector comes round checking tickets. There are three of us sitting on the long seat in the carriage (I said it was a while ago) and the inspector said to the man on my left, a businessman in a suit, excuse me sir, can I see your ticket, he says to me, dressed in work clothes, can I see your ticket MATE, and then says to the scruffy young student on my right, tickets please.

I never usually complain but said....Haaang on a minute, why is he sir, me mate and him nothing. The inspector ignored my question and shuffled off. He had made a judgement that I and the sudent deserved less repect than man in suit. So if someone calls me mate and is calling everyone else mate I don't care, but if someone is calling me mate and other people sir, then it bothers me.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Fine when it is a mate saying it. But is it ok for shopworkers, bar staff and waiters to call you it. Should a waiter say it ? Well. I don't like it.
How do you feel?

Is it ok when you fist bump a Stoke fan?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here