Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

John McDowell and a run on the pound.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Not necessarily that, I think it was more to do with the belief that big business would be spooked and confidence plummet...hence the pound would do the same. Pure speculation

But that's exactly what currency dealing is. They mark currencies up or down depending on events. Yesterday MaccyD promised to renationalise almost everything and cancel all PFI deals. No mention of how this would be paid for (except that they would raise taxes and force everyone to pay them - I don't understand how nobody thought of this before). So perhaps there is a shred of reality in a threat on the pound.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Its interesting that they're acknowledging the possibility this openly, certainly its comforting that they're not in complete denial about what could happen. Obviously we're going to need them to form a government, and I imagine that when they start re-nationalising certain industries and addressing corporate and higher-band taxation there is likely to be an economic shock in the UK. Their job is then to make sure that the impacts on the general public are minimised.

They have their best man on the job ... step forward IRA sympathiser and 'cybernetic communist' Richard Barbrook.

https://order-order.com/2017/09/26/...t-to-prepare-for-run-on-pound-if-corbyn-wins/

I expect our security services are wargaming what files to burn/shred if the Marxist loons ever get in.

sahel

Jan 24, 2014
But that's exactly what currency dealing is. They mark currencies up or down depending on events. Yesterday MaccyD promised to renationalise almost everything and cancel all PFI deals. No mention of how this would be paid for (except that they would raise taxes and force everyone to pay them - I don't understand how nobody thought of this before). So perhaps there is a shred of reality in a threat on the pound.

The biggest threat to the pound is crashing out of the EU with no deal or a bad deal. And which party is likely to do that I wonder.? I imagine that Labour policy for the next election will be a second referendum and the whole world and its capital markets wiĺl breathe a huge sigh of relief that the silly people may be on their way out

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Quite obviously there will be a run on the pound if labour get in, lots of rich foreign investors in the City will bale out if they feel they won't be able to carry on screwing the country.

luge

Dec 18, 2010
So millions of Labour voters are stupid?

I see the mayor of London has today called for a second EU referendum

Not sure who is more split on Brexit, Labour or the Tories.

Political hot potato. Most centrist voters - which is a large part of the labour vote, are anti-brexit - yet alot of labour MP's are from leave regions - we have the first past the post system to blame for the inaccuracies here.

Crashing out of EU is a disaster, and the longer the uncertainty, the more likely a second ref will be needed. May had hoped to give herself time with official talk of a transition deal, but haven't offered the prerequisite cash and assurances for this to be a reality.

The political climate at the moment is not ready for a major party to come out anti brexit. Reality has to hit harder to change minds.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Labour are completely split too.

The Blairites and middle class Met elite favour the European super state.

The old school including Corbyn and McDonnell despise the EU for strengthening big business and a race to the bottom on wages from freedom of movement.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
John and Jeremy, two terrorist sympathisers who are equally ignorant about the economics of running a country. Unless you're a Marxist, communist, Islamist or hardline lefty trade union member, you would take these two for what they are- CLOWNS.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Quite obviously there will be a run on the pound if labour get in, lots of rich foreign investors in the City will bale out if they feel they won't be able to carry on screwing the country.

Can you let me know how exactly "lots of rich foreign investors" in the city are screwing the country ? I hope you can or I might start to think that your post is very low on actual fact and is high in prejudice based on very little knowledge.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016

Millions of people are very stupid if they vote for what is a Marxist lead Labour Party.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Can you let me know how exactly "lots of rich foreign investors" in the city are screwing the country ? I hope you can or I might start to think that your post is very low on actual fact and is high in prejudice based on very little knowledge.

Oh, you again ? Obviously you have even less knowledge than me. Lots of very rich companies making lots of money and currently paying very little tax, that might change under labour. I'm sorry if you really can't understand how the Tory party is in thrall to big business and corporate lobbyists.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
They have their best man on the job ... step forward IRA sympathiser and 'cybernetic communist' Richard Barbrook.

https://order-order.com/2017/09/26/...t-to-prepare-for-run-on-pound-if-corbyn-wins/

I expect our security services are wargaming what files to burn/shred if the Marxist loons ever get in.

I suppose a right wing blogger like him who is a former bankrupt and who's also been done 4 times for alcohol related offences including drink driving knows a thing-or-two about poor judgement making.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I suppose a right wing blogger like him who is a former bankrupt and who's also been done 4 times for alcohol related offences including drink driving knows a thing-or-two about poor judgement making.

Ah play the man not the ball .. always a sign of strong argument. What part of the information in that story was untrue?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
He was talking like a dimwit when questioned how bad and then run off. Brexit is child's play compared to the chaos a Labour government would bring.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Oh, you again ? Obviously you have even less knowledge than me. Lots of very rich companies making lots of money and currently paying very little tax, that might change under labour. I'm sorry if you really can't understand how the Tory party is in thrall to big business and corporate lobbyists.
I happen to agree with you on the subject of firms avoiding corporation tax
You didn't say that though did you , you said "lots of rich foreign investors in the city" will bail out if they can't carry on screwing the country , so I will ask again , how exactly are lots of rich foreign investors in the city , screwing the country ?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
So there will be run on the pound if Labour win the next election? Seems we are all agreed on that then?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here