Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Gently clambering off the crocks bench after a month out with calf problems (or perhaps not......more of that later in the week once I have seen the physio as it just might be of interest to anyone who has any kind of leg issues).

Didn't start the SDW50 yesterday as couldn't run more than 10 mins without having to stop in significant pain on Monday. Eased massively since then and run a bit the last three days (4m, 6m, 13m) so might still turn up next week for a plod round the city.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Just got back from an easy 7 miles that was hard. Full of negative thoughts. Phone rings whilst stretching and my school and life time rival/friend informs me that he had lied about not entering. He is in and up for it. I beat his time by 1 second 2 years ago. It's a close call. Will see him tomorrow night and see what shape he is in. I will know if he will be a threat or not.
Back to positive thoughts now.........

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Final, final long run before London. 29km/18m to Worthing and back. Kept a good pace going until around 25km when a combination of <3 hrs sleep/jet lag/ vicious easterly caught up with me, still 2:33 keeps me in target for 3:40-3:45 in two weeks.

Really looking forward to it now - BM runners must be getting super excited!

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Final, final long run before London. 29km/18m to Worthing and back. Kept a good pace going until around 25km when a combination of <3 hrs sleep/jet lag/ vicious easterly caught up with me, still 2:33 keeps me in target for 3:40-3:45 in two weeks.

Really looking forward to it now - BM runners must be getting super excited!

That's a great effort after such little sleep, your in great shape.
I managed 8 miles today at a fairly leisurely pace against my physio's advice. Went for treatment after having hamstring issues most of the week. It felt better today and wanted to make the most out of the sunshine and pleased I did as its still very tight but not nearly as painful.
I'm super excited for next Sunday and have now started dreaming of running much to the wife's horror who already thinks I'm becoming a little obsessive.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Just got back from an easy 7 miles that was hard. Full of negative thoughts. Phone rings whilst stretching and my school and life time rival/friend informs me that he had lied about not entering. He is in and up for it. I beat his time by 1 second 2 years ago. It's a close call. Will see him tomorrow night and see what shape he is in. I will know if he will be a threat or not.
Back to positive thoughts now.........

Sneaky. Like his style. More pressure on you for the big finish.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Same here with the wife. Reminds me of my mum's face when I was 9 and used to relate a whole days cricket to her. Luckily she likesme having an interest that keeps me out the house for 2-3 hours on a Sunday morning.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
What's people's week looking like for the BM marathon? I'm planning just 4 miles and a bit of HIIT on Tuesday then a 15 min jog on Saturday.

Ran 5 and 6 miles over the weekend.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
What's people's week looking like for the BM marathon? I'm planning just 4 miles and a bit of HIIT on Tuesday then a 15 min jog on Saturday.

Probably 4/5 miles Tuesday, football Thursday and a 15 mile very slow jog Saturday.

Also have a day off Wednesday so will book in for a 60 minute sports massage.

Any opinions on having a massage 4/5 days prior to a marathon? Looking at various internet sites now and it's pretty inconclusive with opinions split.

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Having had a month off injured will probably be simply ploughing on, with Brighton just being a Sunday training run as part of upping the weekly mileage again which has gone something like 45/5/1/3/1/24 over the last few weeks.......tapering is sooooooo old school [emoji3]

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012

Similar for me. 3 miles on Tuesday, and 20 minutes on Thursday.

I have a massage booked on Friday morning before I head into town to collect my race pack.

Pickledegg

Jul 13, 2012
Training was going really well until week last Friday when I tweaked my IT band! Not run since and just stretched! Since then pulled my back! Can't see me running at all until Sunday and that is 50/50 currently! So frustrating as I had been injury free up until then!!

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I've often been one of those out latest on a Sunday and so it proved once again. I left it so late it was pouring down as I left the house and it carried on throughout my 5-miler. Even though my legs felt sore before I went out, I seemed to have some of my old spring in them, clocking my fastest 5k (25:58) and fastest mile (8:03) since I started again.

This is my first week where I've covered over 20 miles since September, so my comeback continues!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Hi all,

After 2/3 weeks out with the flu, I feel a bit more on track after an 18 miler last Tues. I caught the train to Littlehampton from Hove and ran back, quite a nice way to get a sense of the distance travelled! Also did my fastest 10k yesterday. So feel a bit more on track for next week and London the week after. I want to keep the ball rolling after the marathons, so was looking at 10k' and 5k's. Can anyone recommend any particularly good events in the next few months. Was looking at Burgess Hill 10K to begin with, has anyone done that before or doing it this year?

Cheers all and good luck for next week for all those running.

Quite a few on here, including me, will be in the Phoenix 10K in July https://www.sportsystems.co.uk/ss/event/BrightonPhoenix10K20162

It's the unofficial NSC 10K race for the year and it's on a Wednesday evening, 13th July at 7.30 so there will be beers afterwards.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Training was going really well until week last Friday when I tweaked my IT band! Not run since and just stretched! Since then pulled my back! Can't see me running at all until Sunday and that is 50/50 currently! So frustrating as I had been injury free up until then!!

If it is your lower back and same side as the IT pain then it is all connected. When I had my illiotibial band pulverised last month he started in the lower back. Good luck.

Pickledegg

Jul 13, 2012
If it is your lower back and same side as the IT pain then it is all connected. When I had my illiotibial band pulverised last month he started in the lower back. Good luck.
Thanks mate, it is all connected I think! Glutes, hip flexor, hamstrings, over training!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

Mile with my son tonight to check he's ok for mini mile, thirty mins with coach first thing tomorrow and maybe another mile with the boy on Thursday if I get back from work on time. That's it though.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
As someone who gets asthma if it's even a little chilly when I run it's reassuring to know that it doesn't stop people like LR

Cfvv_n5WwAArJ3M.jpg

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Time for silly question number 248 re the marathon.

I see they are only doing water in CUPS again. How did that work out for you guys last year? It looked a bit difficult in the BM10K but I didn't actually have any and I certainly didn't need to keep any to wash a gel down with. Anyone take their own water bottle?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here