Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I didn't win because everyone else was mean to me!

http://youtu.be/e5aXILrgaTI

Thanks for that IL, yes, the toys did come out of the pram, didn't they? Pretty much all of the sprinters react like this though, don't they?

Interesting commentary style from Dutch (?) Eurosport - so laid back it's almost horizontal. I know Carlton (and David Harmon before him) has his critics, but I really like his style - if him and Sean replaced the two Ps on ITV's coverage they'd have the perfect package, in my opinion.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
So Bouhanni's annoyed because he started his sprint too late and ran out of road, but is blaming JD for coming 6" off his line 10m before the line when Bouhanni was still a length behind. Nacer - it isn't anyone else's fault you aren't fast enough, but it's certainly a sprinter's prerogative to blame everyone else for their mistakes (except Cav - with him it really is someone else's fault he keeps crashing within sight of the line....)

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Wow! That was incredible. Catch the highlights later, it is a real treat.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Wow! That was incredible. Catch the highlights later, it is a real treat.
I love a battle like that, when nobody can make it stick.

The gradient never looks as bad as it actually is, a proper slog.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Should be a good one at the Vuelta today. First summit finish and first look at who is going well. Anyone gonna be watching or am I billy no mates again today?

You know I would be but for work. Highlights tonight as per usual for me I'm afraid.

I love a battle like that, when nobody can make it stick.

The gradient never looks as bad as it actually is, a proper slog.

I watched the last 6km Eurosport video rather than wait for 10pm ITV4 highlights tonight.
Everyone was just spent, except Valverde. I even wonder if Valverde could have put a lot more time into everyone had Quintana not been struggling so much. I know a lot of them are coming at this Vuelta perhaps not fully prepared and so will hopefully ride into form here, but I think all these crazy temperatures since the race began finally caught up with a lot of riders today. Dan Martin has said he had nothing left in the final 2km and didn't know whether his brain had been cooked or poached! There were quite a few riders going backwards here that I was quite surprised at. Although no one surprised me as much as Quintana, as I thought he'd take today's stage no trouble at all. Anyway, all early days yet.

Thanks for that IL, yes, the toys did come out of the pram, didn't they? Pretty much all of the sprinters react like this though, don't they?

Interesting commentary style from Dutch (?) Eurosport - so laid back it's almost horizontal. I know Carlton (and David Harmon before him) has his critics, but I really like his style - if him and Sean replaced the two Ps on ITV's coverage they'd have the perfect package, in my opinion.

I can't defend Bouhanni for yesterday, but you know he's always the first in line on here of the sprinters to get slagged off. I blame SB personally. It's also the reason I like to poke fun at Matthew Harley Goss whenever possible, nothing to do with winding Tyrone up, just trying to deflect the attacks and protect a quality young Frenchie :thumbsup:

How did the cadence go?

Right , there's your first mistake...you've asked me - so you're going to get it with both barrels now, so I hope you're sitting comfortably.

Well, Bryton Rider wind ups aside, quite well on the whole. Certainly an eye opener.

I bore in mind what IL had said and thought I'd try to keep things ticking along at mid 80's and change down whenever I dropped below 80. I managed that throughout the entire ride, with some high 90's and tipping the 100 spins thrown in too for good measure ( as you'd be able to see if the Bryton had been functioning properly) but it was a proper challenge for me and a few things became apparent immediately.

Totally different ride to what I'd usually do - think less wildlife spotting and sunset enjoyment and much, much more poor man's Chris Froome stylee constantly looking down at those bloody numbers!

Going much further down the gears a lot more often. Plenty of toing and froing between the big and small ring too rather than grinding out the big ring.

Proper cardiovascular workout, which is a good thing for someone as unfit as me. (No, I've no immediate plans to get a HR monitor, so no trying to talk me into it!)

I was hoping the legs much not be as fatigued though seeing as my usual habit of grinding for too long rather than spinning was now being rectified. Wrong! I'd back loaded the ride with steady climbing but no nasty hills as such, with your musings about cadence on lower gradients in mind. I was spinning along nicely, but knew about it much more. A bit crampy right near the end of the ride as I'd sort of put it all in throughout the ride rather than pacing myself. Good job I didn't include any nasty hills towards the end or I could have been in trouble.

The higher cadence than I've clearly been riding thus far felt weird, even though I could appreciate the benefits of it long term and quite got into the style as the ride progressed. But I was caught by another rider on one long stretch who then got chatting and as we took turns at the front I felt obliged to mention I was trying this cadence thingie as my style at this point made me feel like a bit of a wally :blush:, although I probably made myself look more of one by mentioning it :lol:

Average speed for the ride definitely up and that is certainly down to the ride being all about aiming for a higher cadence. Admittedly a nice tall wind on the way out and nothing drastic wind wise on the way back, but a long slow start through traffic to even that out.

Conclusion: Will definitely keep working at this. I can see there being some real benefits if I'm prepared to stick with it, although getting much more rides in is the thing I need most of all first up.

Sorry for the ramble, but you did ask.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
You know I would be but for work. Highlights tonight as per usual for me I'm afraid.

I watched the last 6km Eurosport video rather than wait for 10pm ITV4 highlights tonight.
Everyone was just spent, except Valverde. I even wonder if Valverde could have put a lot more time into everyone had Quintana not been struggling so much. I know a lot of them are coming at this Vuelta perhaps not fully prepared and so will hopefully ride into form here, but I think all these crazy temperatures since the race began finally caught up with a lot of riders today. Dan Martin has said he had nothing left in the final 2km and didn't know whether his brain had been cooked or poached! There were quite a few riders going backwards here that I was quite surprised at. Although no one surprised me as much as Quintana, as I thought he'd take today's stage no trouble at all. Anyway, all early days yet.

I can't defend Bouhanni for yesterday, but you know he's always the first in line on here of the sprinters to get slagged off. I blame SB personally. It's also the reason I like to poke fun at Matthew Harley Goss whenever possible, nothing to do with winding Tyrone up, just trying to deflect the attacks and protect a quality young Frenchie :thumbsup:

Right , there's your first mistake...you've asked me - so you're going to get it with both barrels now, so I hope you're sitting comfortably.

Well, Bryton Rider wind ups aside, quite well on the whole. Certainly an eye opener.

I bore in mind what IL had said and thought I'd try to keep things ticking along at mid 80's and change down whenever I dropped below 80. I managed that throughout the entire ride, with some high 90's and tipping the 100 spins thrown in too for good measure ( as you'd be able to see if the Bryton had been functioning properly) but it was a proper challenge for me and a few things became apparent immediately.

Totally different ride to what I'd usually do - think less wildlife spotting and sunset enjoyment and much, much more poor man's Chris Froome stylee constantly looking down at those bloody numbers!

Going much further down the gears a lot more often. Plenty of toing and froing between the big and small ring too rather than grinding out the big ring.

Proper cardiovascular workout, which is a good thing for someone as unfit as me. (No, I've no immediate plans to get a HR monitor, so no trying to talk me into it!)

I was hoping the legs much not be as fatigued though seeing as my usual habit of grinding for too long rather than spinning was now being rectified. Wrong! I'd back loaded the ride with steady climbing but no nasty hills as such, with your musings about cadence on lower gradients in mind. I was spinning along nicely, but knew about it much more. A bit crampy right near the end of the ride as I'd sort of put it all in throughout the ride rather than pacing myself. Good job I didn't include any nasty hills towards the end or I could have been in trouble.

The higher cadence than I've clearly been riding thus far felt weird, even though I could appreciate the benefits of it long term and quite got into the style as the ride progressed. But I was caught by another rider on one long stretch who then got chatting and as we took turns at the front I felt obliged to mention I was trying this cadence thingie as my style at this point made me feel like a bit of a wally :blush:, although I probably made myself look more of one by mentioning it :lol:

Average speed for the ride definitely up and that is certainly down to the ride being all about aiming for a higher cadence. Admittedly a nice tall wind on the way out and nothing drastic wind wise on the way back, but a long slow start through traffic to even that out.

Conclusion: Will definitely keep working at this. I can see there being some real benefits if I'm prepared to stick with it, although getting much more rides in is the thing I need most of all first up.

Good ramble!

Bouhanni is the worst case of "people in glass houses...." of all the sprinters.

The cadence will take a fair amount of time - my average has moved up from mid 80s to mid 90s since getting the garmin. That's been 4 months or so though.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Cool.

Obviously the more in tune you get the less you'll be looking.
As have said numerous times, I know the terrain I need to be on top of my cadence (false flats and approaching plateaus), other than that I just ride at 85rpm. That's just as habitual as left foot clipping.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Good ramble!

Bouhanni is the worst case of "people in glass houses...." of all the sprinters.

The cadence will take a fair amount of time - my average has moved up from mid 80s to mid 90s since getting the garmin. That's been 4 months or so though.

Hmmm, there's reassurance right there.

A man with the pedigree of racing against none other than Bradley Wiggins as a youth reassures an overweight MAMIL who's last road bike before becoming said MAMIL was a 12 speed Orbit as a teenager that he only ever rode for commuting anyway.

4 months for you you say? I think I might need some extra fingers to start counting on for me :lol:

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Hmmm, there's reassurance right there.

A man with the pedigree of racing against none other than Bradley Wiggins as a youth reassures an overweight MAMIL who's last road bike before becoming said MAMIL was a 12 speed Orbit as a teenager that he only ever rode for commuting anyway.

4 months for you you say? I think I might need some extra fingers to start counting on for me :lol:
I've not been trying though! Just came with the riding. If you're putting the effort in then it'll be quicker.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Cool.

Obviously the more in tune you get the less you'll be looking.
As have said numerous times, I know the terrain I need to be on top of my cadence (false flats and approaching plateaus), other than that I just ride at 85rpm. That's just as habitual as left foot clipping.

Well I have had a ride down to the seafront, along and back again with Jnr 1066 this evening. Guess what I was mostly paying attention to?, and it certainly wasn't clipping in and out :blush:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I've not been trying though! Just came with the riding. If you're putting the effort in then it'll be quicker.

Now you're just showing off!

And leave my mate Bouhanni alone or else! He used to be a boxer you know. Think on. :cool:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Definitely shouldn't drop below 120rpm when out with the kids!

That's what I told her but she still wouldn't stop sobbing. I don't know what's wrong with kids these days. :rolleyes:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Clearly I need to find my 'winter head' fast.

I've not been able to fit any rides in, for a couple of weeks.
This afternoon was the time, but I got delayed.

'Oh well I can still do an hour'.
There I am stood outside the front of the house, all ready to go, surrounded by gloom, I just thought 'nah', and headed back in.

Poor poor form.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oi [MENTION=13467]JoePrecious[/MENTION] if that is even your real name, anywhere else on NSC, but not here on geeks. :down:

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill

There I am stood outside the front of the house, all ready to go, surrounded by gloom, I just thought 'nah', and headed back in.

Poor poor form.

I'm with JoePrecious (oh yes and you)... shocking behaviour

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

Poor poor form.

It was a bit windy...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here