Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stephen Ward - Albion unwilling to match salary

reigate

Nov 10, 2005
I imagine this is Orlandi and Kemy both who are in the process of being sacked off.

Lua Lua and Buckley as well who have been in and out with injury so not a comment on their quality.

I know for a fact (seen wage slip) Lopez was on less than half this figure last season

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Top Championship players cost a lot more than that. I suppose it depends whether he's a top Championship player or not.

Left back is not a crucial position in the spine of the side. More important than right back though. In a classic 4-3-3, I think the position is rather important. Sort of midway position between spine of the side £15K a year and less important positions, right-back and winger.

If this World Cup has taught me anything that is the importance of tall full backs for deep crosses to the far post.

But is we play 4-2-3-1 without a a new replacement defensive midfielder, I think we will fire blanks like England. Or play a 4-4-2. A good left back will show our intentions of playing attacking football. Stephen Ward would be my choice.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Top Championship players cost a lot more than that. I suppose it depends whether he's a top Championship player or not.
I think you are forgetting that those 'top
players' are former PL players who failed and are funded by shit loads of cash their clubs received for failure. Ward was in that group.

I hope The Albion continue to refuse paying wages that put the long term future of the club at risk. If it means we don't get promoted for a few years - so be it.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
People keep talking about his wage "demands", but if he's already on £13k, they're not really "demands" are they? He's already guaranteed to be paid that for the next year, so he's hardly going to take a lower wage than that... Or am I missing something?

Tend to agree with you. However you would hope that playing regularly for 10k living in brighton etc etc would be a better option than training with the reserves for a year and not playing whilst hanging around in the black country... He seemed to be one of the few players that enjoyed playing last season would be a shame if we miss out. I thought he was a solid player last term. Who knows what goes on in the mind of football players and their agents... is there really a huge difference between earning 500k and 650K per annum... mind boggles really.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I still have faith...

uga6u6eh.jpg

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Well he's back training when it starts with Albion

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
surely he would accept slightly less than 13k, maybe 10k

HE HAS A YEAR LEFT ON A CONTRACT AT £13K PER WEEK.

UNLESS SOMEONE BUYS OUT HIS CONTRACT HE HAS TO BE PAID £13k PER WEEK!!!

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
These two featured in the two most disastrous games of the season both against Derby. I have not got my season ticket yet. It all depends. I am not watching those two failures again: it was miserable.

The Derby home game at the beginning was one of our two most disastrous games? You must have missed a lot of matches

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
AAAAArrgh !!!!

Stephen Ward was quite clearly the "Player of the Season" from me last season. He even showed he is a better striker than some others on our books.

Premier youngsters may be on £10K a week.

As I've said before armand traore was on £25,000 a week as a teenager at arsenal.

Source : the mother of his kid

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
We have a player on 12k basic plus bonuses that are easy to hit if in the squad. He'd earn 10k I expect as a guess so we arguing over 3k a week or 150k a year........ depends what 6 figure fee Wolves want I guess.

More important than this are probably any bonuses be they weekly or end of season in his current deal, plus if we want to sign him to longer than the one year he has at Wolves, he's not likely to want to drop money in those 'extra' years so that extra 150k a season begins to add up

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
I feel really frustrated by a lot of what is being said on this thread. Sadly, £13k for a player of his stature is probably about right, given the increase in wages. There WILL be other clubs in this league - thinking about it an AWFUL lot of clubs - who will pay that money. My concern is this: How on earth are we going to compete if we're not willing or able to pay the going rate for players? We saw with Craig Conway, Matt Upson & Wayne Bridge that playing chicken with wages simply doesn't work. I reckon we need to prepare to be monumentally underwhelmed by the quality of the players that will come in over the summer.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
It was the same last season, O'Hara, Ward and others had to train separately until they were offloaded. He didn't want the players associated with the double relegation upsetting the rest of the squad.

Wolves are back in pre-season today. It will be interesting to see if Ward is there.

Ward was absent as he has been given extra time off due to the International games at the end of last season.
Jamie O'Hara returned and tweeted "new dressing room" with a picture of the Academy Dressing Room door on his twitter page so Ward and the others know what they will be returning too...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I reckon we need to prepare to be monumentally underwhelmed by the quality of the players that will come in over the summer.

I'm braced for it and have been expecting it since Oscar walked just a year after Poyet tried to do the same. I do not believe Oscar left because he didn't have the balls for the job which seems to be the perceived wisdom on NSC. I think he walked because of the budget.

I hope the club have been very very clear and honest with Hypia about what he has to spend..

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I feel really frustrated by a lot of what is being said on this thread. Sadly, £13k for a player of his stature is probably about right, given the increase in wages. There WILL be other clubs in this league - thinking about it an AWFUL lot of clubs - who will pay that money. My concern is this: How on earth are we going to compete if we're not willing or able to pay the going rate for players? We saw with Craig Conway, Matt Upson & Wayne Bridge that playing chicken with wages simply doesn't work. I reckon we need to prepare to be monumentally underwhelmed by the quality of the players that will come in over the summer.

you forgot Mr Murray although some time ago
I totally agree with you sentiments

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I'm braced for it and have been expecting it since Oscar walked just a year after Poyet did the same. I do not believe Oscar left because he didn't have the balls for the job which seems to be the perceived wisdom on NSC. I think he walked because of the budget.

this

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM

You can easily compete and not pay silly money... how many of Burnleys players were on even 10k a week do you think ?......

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
I just don't understand the concept of why we're playing in the second highest league in England, in a shiny stadium that is the envy of many, and a promising young manager, if you're going to fill a team with low rent players who, if you cross your fingers really really hard and wish on as many stars as you can, might not get us relegated.

Also, why is it we appear to be the only ****ers adhering to FFP??

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton

What's the solution though? Screw our business model and go for broke?

No.

We HAVE to be sensible about these things. We are a club doing our best to operate within our means. If we can't afford a player. We can't afford a player. It's pretty clear that TB and co won't bend over backwards for anybody. And that's why we're so lucky. I don't care if we don't go up this season, next season or even the season after that. We will always be a sensibly run club with an ever increasing base of young, local talent. Let's not start being underwhelmed because we're not spunking huge wages on any player we like the look of.

People have got to stop acting like we've got to match the spending habits of everyone else and start thinking that maybe we're trying to set a very good trend. One that more clubs should follow!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You can easily compete and not pay silly money... how many of Burnleys players were on even 10k a week do you think ?......

No idea but they were willing to pay Ashley Barnes a lot more than we were so I suggest that their players were on better wages than ours, probably.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here