Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Attendance tonight

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
The loss of ST holders means there is less scope to fudge the figures. The ST holders from last year (who probably didn't go anyway), were those that the club were using to manipulate the attendance figures. With them gone, most ST holders would have been there on Friday.

The trains were a total shambles...as they always seem to be, particularly for evening games. Got a much earlier train from Worthing than usual - three carriages and already crammed when it arrived. The queue at Brighton was longer than I have ever seen; extending out into Terminus Road, blocking the road and forcing the temporary taxi rank to move. (Bloody stupid place to put the taxi rank anyway but that's by the by).

Extending the travel subsidy to Worthing, it was obvious that more fans would travel by train.

I've no idea what the cock-up was at Brighton; you can't hear the announcements!

Everybody knows Southern are totally shit so it is down to the club to insist that a proper service is provided. If the club are paying money to Southern at the start of the season then it's hardly a surprise we get such a shit service.

If I thought for one moment that they would, I'd love to invite Messrs Bloom & Barber to join me on the train to an evening game so they can experience the joys of train travel to the Amex.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
The loss of ST holders means there is less scope to fudge the figures. The ST holders from last year (who probably didn't go anyway), were those that the club were using to manipulate the attendance figures. With them gone, most ST holders would have been there on Friday.

The trains were a total shambles...as they always seem to be, particularly for evening games. Got a much earlier train from Worthing than usual - three carriages and already crammed when it arrived. The queue at Brighton was longer than I have ever seen; extending out into Terminus Road, blocking the road and forcing the temporary taxi rank to move. (Bloody stupid place to put the taxi rank anyway but that's by the by).

Extending the travel subsidy to Worthing, it was obvious that more fans would travel by train.

I've no idea what the cock-up was at Brighton; you can't hear the announcements!

Everybody knows Southern are totally shit so it is down to the club to insist that a proper service is provided. If the club are paying money to Southern at the start of the season then it's hardly a surprise we get such a shit service.

If I thought for one moment that they would, I'd love to invite Messrs Bloom & Barber to join me on the train to an evening game so they can experience the joys of train travel to the Amex.

Not sure that extending the travel zone has made a difference as everyone I have ever known travel from Worthing always used season ticket anyway. Guards there never been worried.

Regarding your last line , trains to the Amex generally been great but Fri was very bad indeed. I've also never seen the ques like that before

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
I'd love to invite Messrs Bloom & Barber to join me on the train to an evening game so they can experience the joys of train travel to the Amex.

It would be a bit dull for them in which case. I went via train from Lewes to Falmer 20+ times last season. The longest delay for a train outward would have been the 30mins i experienced on Friday. And i still got there in time for a pint / pie etc before KO..
The normal wait for a train last season at lewes was 10 minutes or less. Every time.
Outwards i'm normally back in Lewes by 10.25pm for an evening game or 5.30pm every time.
I never leave before final whistle.

It was frustrating on Friday and i. but "total shambles" or "shit service". Its not.

Stuart Munday

Jul 6, 2003
Saltdean

I've seen Tony Bloom on the Lewes train for a midweek game.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

1. There was no significant loss of ST holders.
2. There has never been any 'fudging' or 'manipulation' of the figures. They can either announce an accurate attendance, or (as very commonly used elsewhere) an accurate figure of 'tickets sold'. Neither figure is 'fudged', is it?
3. I firmly believe that the suggestion that there were ever a big group of STH who 'don't go', is absolute bollocks. WTF would anybody be in that position? People who consider themselves die-hards, that sneer at the 10% 'missing', probably miss TWO games a season themselves, for whatever reason. I know I do. And obviously thats all it takes - each STH to miss two games a year, and there's your 'missing' 10%.

They've regularly sat with fans on trains home from godforsaken northern slums. What makes you sure they'd feel above a ten minute ride from Brighton?
(I'd imagine they are probably quite busy in the hour or two before a game, though)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It would be a bit dull for them in which case. I went via train from Lewes to Falmer 20+ times last season. The longest delay for a train outward would have been the 30mins i experienced on Friday. And i still got there in time for a pint / pie etc before KO..
The normal wait for a train last season at lewes was 10 minutes or less. Every time.
Outwards i'm normally back in Lewes by 10.25pm for an evening game or 5.30pm every time.

It was frustrating on Friday and i. but "total shambles" or "shit service". Its not.

How many times have you travelled from the West as [MENTION=22135]rippleman[/MENTION] does? How qualified are you to so readily dismiss the experiences of those who, I believe, make completely different journeys to you?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
How many times have you travelled from the West as [MENTION=22135]rippleman[/MENTION] does? How qualified are you to so readily dismiss the experiences of those who, I believe, make completely different journeys to you?

I'm qualified to talk about the Lewes to Falmer journey which i've travelled over 100 times. Its not shit or a total shambles.
but agreed. I've never been to worthing.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither

I have done both Shoreham and Lewes. And there is no comparison.

It is better on a Saturday when Southern seem able to get rolling stock/staff/systems better in place.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm qualified to talk about the Lewes to Falmer journey which i've travelled over 100 times. Its not shit or a total shambles.

And I shall remind you that [MENTION=22135]rippleman[/MENTION] said: "I'd love to invite Messrs Bloom & Barber to join me on the train", and he travels from the West. You then seemed to dismiss that with limited or no experience of his journey. Is that correct?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
And I shall remind you that [MENTION=22135]rippleman[/MENTION] said: "I'd love to invite Messrs Bloom & Barber to join me on the train", and he travels from the West. You then seemed to dismiss that with limited or no experience of his journey. Is that correct?

No intention to dismiss [MENTION=22135]rippleman[/MENTION] at all. And good luck with going west in future.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

In fairness, his is no more of a sweeping assumption than [MENTION=22135]rippleman[/MENTION] classing of the entire train provsion as a 'shit service', is it? For many it clearly isn't, even if there most definitely are other parts that need sorting.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Exactly my experience too.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Indeed. It was dreadful coming from Newhaven on Friday but worth noting that this a) wasn't normal and b) was entirely a Southern issue and nothing to do with Paul Barber.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Incorrect bollocks I'm afraid. Actual/pretendance not much different tonight, and far, far fewer early leavers than normal.

There will always be season ticket holders not turning up, even for a popular game people can't or wont attend and I'd be surprised if the actual figure was over 22,000. 22,000 is a very healthy figure for a Friday night game on TV. The only problem is that the budgets seem to have been set assuming sell-outs and anything less means TB putting his hand into his pocket every month.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here