Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] San Fran/Oakland, Vegas, Reno/Tahoe & San Diego

mylesfdo

Jan 25, 2015
Off for a 3 month trip in Oct and wondering if anyone got any cheeky recommendations for cheapish hotels, AirBnb's or carhire?

Also happy to hear about any restaurant or must do activities(not Vegas as mostly playing poker for 2 weeks!!)

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Also watching this as doing a San Fran / LA / San Diego trip in March with nothing planned but flights

mylesfdo

Jan 25, 2015
Also watching this as doing a San Fran / LA / San Diego trip in March with nothing planned but flights

I love San Fran and GF lives there hence why going but Ive heard bad things recently about it with loads of homeless on streets due to the Fentinal(?) debarcle over there.

And from hotel research Ive done its still fking expensive!! Like £150 a night up for a bed in hostel dorm!! Think Im AirBnbing it in Oakland for 3-4nights after a treat of first night in downtown hotel!!

Flight prices silly cheap at mo!!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I love San Fran and GF lives there hence why going but Ive heard bad things recently about it with loads of homeless on streets due to the Fentinal(?) debarcle over there.

And from hotel research Ive done its still fking expensive!! Like £150 a night up for a bed in hostel dorm!! Think Im AirBnbing it in Oakland for 3-4nights after a treat of first night in downtown hotel!!

Flight prices silly cheap at mo!!

I've done San Fran quite a bit but always on a works tab! Likely only go there for 1 night on the way home I think as flying back from San Jose.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
San Diego is my fav city in the US - absolutely gorgeous place. I did the same trip back in '94, you'll have an amazing time!
I dont know what its like now - but El Indios was THE place to get a burrito when I went to see my friends in San Diego...well worth trying!
If you are into US sports, try and get tickets for a football game while you are in San Fran or Oakland.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
San Diego is my fav city in the US - absolutely gorgeous place. I did the same trip back in '94, you'll have an amazing time!
I dont know what its like now - but El Indios was THE place to get a burrito when I went to see my friends in San Diego...well worth trying!
If you are into US sports, try and get tickets for a football game while you are in San Fran or Oakland.

Be quick though! The Oakland Raiders are moving to Las Vegas in 2019 I think

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Motel 6
Alcatraz.

One's a cheap accommodation suggestion, the other a 'must see' attraction. I'll let you work out which one is which.

mylesfdo

Jan 25, 2015

Thks bud, got the games that I could make for Raiders, Niners and GS Warriors already in a list!!

mylesfdo

Jan 25, 2015
Motel 6
Alcatraz.

One's a cheap accommodation suggestion, the other a 'must see' attraction. I'll let you work out which one is which.

Yeah done Alcatraz before but will be doing again for sure as its fab although I want to do the night tour as not done yet but its sold out for all of Oct already so need possibly do on way back before fly home!

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Book in advance for Alcatraz, because it’s usually booked weeks in advance. When you’re in Vegas fly down to the Grand Canyon. Go to Laguna beach and think of Pamela Anderson.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Got Married 3 years ago at Lake Tahoe, absolutely stunning place. Went skiing the day before and after at Heavenly.
Travelled to San Fran afterwards and the only thing we missed out on was Alcatraz, so agree with what’s been said , book well in advance. We did the boat trip under the golden gate and round Alcatraz which was the next best thing.

mylesfdo

Jan 25, 2015
Book in advance for Alcatraz, because it’s usually booked weeks in advance. When you’re in Vegas fly down to the Grand Canyon. Go to Laguna beach and think of Pamela Anderson.

Yeah its fully booked for night tour when Im first there!! Will check again for when fly back or just hope on day tour!!

Got Married 3 years ago at Lake Tahoe, absolutely stunning place. Went skiing the day before and after at Heavenly.
Travelled to San Fran afterwards and the only thing we missed out on was Alcatraz, so agree with what’s been said , book well in advance. We did the boat trip under the golden gate and round Alcatraz which was the next best thing.

Yep Im going to Tahoe for skiing as season starts just as Im there!! Any tips for which resort to go to as think like 5 of them in area!! Or places to stay!

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Yeah its fully booked for night tour when Im first there!! Will check again for when fly back or just hope on day tour!!

I

Yep Im going to Tahoe for skiing as season starts just as Im there!! Any tips for which resort to go to as think like 5 of them in area!! Or places to stay!

We only went to Heavenly for skiing as the ski lift is directly in Tahoe and stayed at the Tahoe resort hotel which is a 5 min walk to the Gondola. Good restaurant is Stateline, ( downstairs) which is directly on the stateline as California and Nevada is split through Lake Tahoe.
We got married in a chapel just up the road in California and was due to have a ceremony at Emerald Bay, which if you see the pictures of it you’ll see why but it was Presidents Day, so too busy, so ended up going round the Nevada side to Logan Shoals.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Lake Tahoe - if you are old enough to remember visit the Bonanza ranch and the house where they filmed the Godfather.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
We did three weeks there recently flying into and out of San Francisco.

1 night on arrival at Palo Alto (so we could visit the Googleplex and Apple Park the next morning)
2 nights Monterey (whale watching boat tour and Monterey Bay Aquarium)
1 night Solvang (after driving down the Pacific Coast Highway)
5 nights LA
5 nights Disneyland
2 nights Hermosa Beach with a friend
4 nights San Francisco (after flying back up from LA)

In San Francisco we stayed at the Hilton Union Square, booked on Hotwire. This means you don't know what hotel you are going to get, but you can pretty much work it out and I was 99.9% sure we were going to get the Hilton Union Square as a result. We paid $800 all in for the 4 nights there, and got a suite for that, not a regular room.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

The 49ers play 40 miles away now. Nice stadium but ...

fabbb

Jun 23, 2013
Training currently for a 6 day cycle from San Francisco to LA via Lake Tahoe in late October. Hope the snow doesnt come early. Saves on renting a car/flight!!!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

mylesfdo

Jan 25, 2015
2 weeks in Vegas??

Yep with an option to extend my AirBnb to a month! Venetian has a great poker festival on for the month and I will obv assess how Im playing/surviving!! Wont be playing poker every day and intend to do some treking in Red Rock etc and otherwise just chill and do some internet work and study on days off.

We only went to Heavenly for skiing as the ski lift is directly in Tahoe and stayed at the Tahoe resort hotel which is a 5 min walk to the Gondola. Good restaurant is Stateline, ( downstairs) which is directly on the stateline as California and Nevada is split through Lake Tahoe.
We got married in a chapel just up the road in California and was due to have a ceremony at Emerald Bay, which if you see the pictures of it you’ll see why but it was Presidents Day, so too busy, so ended up going round the Nevada side to Logan Shoals.

Thks bud will have a look at Heavenly for the skiing and note Stateline!

Lake Tahoe - if you are old enough to remember visit the Bonanza ranch and the house where they filmed the Godfather.

Sure am and added to list thanks!

We did three weeks there recently flying into and out of San Francisco.

1 night on arrival at Palo Alto (so we could visit the Googleplex and Apple Park the next morning)
2 nights Monterey (whale watching boat tour and Monterey Bay Aquarium)
1 night Solvang (after driving down the Pacific Coast Highway)
5 nights LA
5 nights Disneyland
2 nights Hermosa Beach with a friend
4 nights San Francisco (after flying back up from LA)

In San Francisco we stayed at the Hilton Union Square, booked on Hotwire. This means you don't know what hotel you are going to get, but you can pretty much work it out and I was 99.9% sure we were going to get the Hilton Union Square as a result. We paid $800 all in for the 4 nights there, and got a suite for that, not a regular room.

Thks Bozza, will look into Paolo Alto as I do Google marketing work so it would be a good day trip actually for me!! Great tip re Hotwire thks mate, Ive not heard of that and $800 for 4 nights in San Fran is an amazing rate!!

Training currently for a 6 day cycle from San Francisco to LA via Lake Tahoe in late October. Hope the snow doesnt come early. Saves on renting a car/flight!!!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Im in SF area 18th Oct-23rd so if coincides with your visit and u fancy meeting up PM me and we can try and sort something out! Ill obv be watching the Toon game somewhere or at my appartment(AirBnb sorted now!) and obv welcome to come round for that!! Or if its an organised ride let me know the details and I can get down and cheer u off!! Not sure of exact Tahoe dates yet but let me know when u arrive there and maybe give u another cheer!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here