Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Coriander

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Coriander is lovely in soup, provided it’s all mixed and blended in. Otherwise I tend to find when it’s used there’s usually way WAY too much and the dish just ends up being a herby overload. In Asia at the moment and you can’t escape it.

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
Love it raw or cooked. But if your genes ain't playing with it, then you're chiffonade outta luck.

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
I'm convinced it's a lot to do with smell and how brain fuses that with taste.

I love coriander but don't particular like the smell.

It's also an odd herb that goes very slimy when on the turn. When it goes bad, it reads.

If a mushroom has found it's way onto a pizza and I eat if I have no problem, but I find the smell of mushrooms so completely obnoxious I can't cook with them.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

I’m sure I read somewhere that a sense of smell is an integral component of taste. I work with someone who severed her olfactory nerve in a head injury as a child and now can’t smell. Her taste buds subsequently don’t work anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I’m sure I read somewhere that a sense of smell is an integral component of taste. I work with someone who severed her olfactory nerve in a head injury as a child and now can’t smell. Her taste buds subsequently don’t work anymore.

You taste with your tongue but flavour is linked to your sense of smell. Next time you eat or drink hold your nose when you put it in your mouth. You'll detect sweetness, saltiness etc but not much else. Then let go of your nose and you'll get a rush of flavour.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My wife once very proudly & smugly informed me that there was celery in the soup I’d just eaten. Couldn’t taste it. Maybe it loses that acrid, acidic, gut wrenching stench when it’s cooked?

Absolutely right. I never eat it raw....the whiter sticks are nice with salt, but the stringy texture is vile. But cooked....

I discovered tomato based veggy juices about 20 years ago. My favourites are the slightly fermented ones (popular in Germany). But even the unfermented ones are lovely. And I discovered that the additive that was essential was celerey. After that I started putting it in soups and chillies/currys.

The other good thng about it is the roughage. I have diverticulosis and celery has been part of a diet change that has transformed my life :thumbsup:

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
Absolutely right. I never eat it raw....the whiter sticks are nice with salt, but the stringy texture is vile. But cooked....

I discovered tomato based veggy juices about 20 years ago. My favourites are the slightly fermented ones (popular in Germany). But even the unfermented ones are lovely. And I discovered that the additive that was essential was celerey. After that I started putting it in soups and chillies/currys.

The other good thng about it is the roughage. I have diverticulosis and celery has been part of a diet change that has transformed my life :thumbsup:

Always happy to challenge my taste buds. Where would a fat lad partial to a bit of sauerkraut get his grubby fingers on these veggie juices?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Always happy to challenge my taste buds. Where would a fat lad partial to a bit of sauerkraut get his grubby fingers on these veggie juices?

Right, the one I have right now is Rabenhorst vegetable (Rabenhorst also do other types but 'vegetable' is the partially lacto-fermented one).

I see it is available from Amazon but at way more what I pay for it (at Macknade Faversham).

https://www.rabenhorst.de/en/our-juices/vegetable-juices/
https://macknade.com/

Other lacto-fermented veggie juices may be available at your local deli :cheers:

NorthLainer

Aug 12, 2011
Now available in Hove
Not keen on coriander but I’m a big fan of cilantro.

Always thought they were the same thing, but apparently not exactly:

"While leafy cilantro (also called "Chinese parsley" and sometimes "coriander leaves") and coriander seeds come from the same plant, you'd never know it from their aromas and flavors. They are entirely different. The herb, cilantro, is often used in Asian and Latin Americancooking and has a lively citrusy and, to some, a slightly soapy flavor. The seed, coriander, is sweet and toasty with a warm aroma and flavor. It is often paired with cumin and cinnamon, which share some of those traits."

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Always thought they were the same thing, but apparently not exactly:

"While leafy cilantro (also called "Chinese parsley" and sometimes "coriander leaves") and coriander seeds come from the same plant, you'd never know it from their aromas and flavors. They are entirely different. The herb, cilantro, is often used in Asian and Latin Americancooking and has a lively citrusy and, to some, a slightly soapy flavor. The seed, coriander, is sweet and toasty with a warm aroma and flavor. It is often paired with cumin and cinnamon, which share some of those traits."

You thought coriander leaves and coriander seeds were the same thing? ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here