Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton U23 v Manchester City U23 Broadfield Stadium 19.00 Tonight

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
They were making the point that Checkatrade Trophy matches are classed as first team matches (which they are for the lower league teams). Therefore, you can make an argument that all players for the academy U-21 teams that play in those matches have technically made their debuts in senior football.

However, to claim that they are first team matches for Albion and the other sides that play their U-21s is a nonsense.

https://www.wba.co.uk/news/2017/january/wrights-yeovil-loan-cancelled/ - I'd agree that morally (wrong word but can't think of the right one) it's nonsense but if the Football League consider it a first team game, thus preventing a player transfer, I think technically it has to count as a senior debut? I don't really want to argue for it, because it's shit, but I think it technically is.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
What a massive result. I don’t think NSC has given our fantastic start in the u23 too division enough credit yet. Absolutely brilliant to be unbeaten with the teams we’ve played and to be thumping a team with an academy like city is hugely impressive. Especially given where they are in be league. Worth also noting we’re in a league above Man U (as our first team seem to be when we meet at the Amex too :) )

Also, I believe Blackburn won our league last season and are struggling this - another nod to the job our lads and coaches have done and our investment from above :clap:

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
Went to the game tonight, Viktor Gyokeres outstanding. Surprised he has not gone out on loan. There must have been Clubs after him.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
What a massive result. I don’t think NSC has given our fantastic start in the u23 too division enough credit yet. Absolutely brilliant to be unbeaten with the teams we’ve played and to be thumping a team with an academy like city is hugely impressive. Especially given where they are in be league. Worth also noting we’re in a league above Man U (as our first team seem to be when we meet at the Amex too :) )

Also, I believe Blackburn won our league last season and are struggling this - another nod to the job our lads and coaches have done and our investment from above :clap:
Well said. Impressive stuff.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Went to the game tonight, Viktor Gyokeres outstanding. Surprised he has not gone out on loan. There must have been Clubs after him.

Been so so impressed with him when I’ve seen him at u23 level but felt he disappointed a little v Saints. Still, it’s only one game and from what I’ve seen he’ll make our first team before any of the other u23s.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I really must get round to watching these lads when I get home. Exciting times & TB must be well chuffed with what Lancing is starting to produce.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
https://www.wba.co.uk/news/2017/january/wrights-yeovil-loan-cancelled/ - I'd agree that morally (wrong word but can't think of the right one) it's nonsense but if the Football League consider it a first team game, thus preventing a player transfer, I think technically it has to count as a senior debut? I don't really want to argue for it, because it's shit, but I think it technically is.

I think the issue here is that it is, of course, a single match, but played between two teams that have different statuses. And, quite honestly, football's governing bodies deserve all the associated nonsense that results from sanctioning such a hybrid, Frankenstein-esqe abomination as this tournament now is (although I do have sympathy for players such as Andre Wright who get caught in the middle).

The Football League HAS to designate these matches as first team matches because the tournament is the League's own tournament for it's lower division clubs. There is absolutely no question that the matches are first team games for clubs such as Luton, Stevenage etc - and any of their younger players who debut in these games certainly ARE making their senior, first team debuts. Unfortunately, because the MATCH is designated a first team match, the designation (and any subsequent consequences that flow from it) will apply to players from both sides, including players for the U-21 sides.

However, by definition, it is the ACADEMIES of the Premier League/Championship clubs that are invited. There is simply no way that these matches are first team matches for those clubs. Jayson Molumby made his Albion first team debut in the Carabao Cup match against Barnet last season; NOT in the Checkatrade Trophy fixture against Southend United on 30 August 2016! When Collar and Barclay played against Southampton this week, everyone (correctly) spoke about them making their first team debuts, despite the fact they have played in Checkatrade Trophy matches previously. And the likes of Owen Moore and Danny Cashman have NOT yet made their first team debuts, despite appearing in the Checkatrade Trophy!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Been so so impressed with him when I’ve seen him at u23 level but felt he disappointed a little v Saints. Still, it’s only one game and from what I’ve seen he’ll make our first team before any of the other u23s.

I understand what you are saying but it remains a massive step from U23 football, to a game against a fellow PL club, with seasoned professionals.

I really hope he makes it, and it is positive that he seems to be training with the first team as does Barclay.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I think the issue here is that it is, of course, a single match, but played between two teams that have different statuses. And, quite honestly, football's governing bodies deserve all the associated nonsense that results from sanctioning such a hybrid, Frankenstein-esqe abomination as this tournament now is (although I do have sympathy for players such as Andre Wright who get caught in the middle).

The Football League HAS to designate these matches as first team matches because the tournament is the League's own tournament for it's lower division clubs. There is absolutely no question that the matches are first team games for clubs such as Luton, Stevenage etc - and any of their younger players who debut in these games certainly ARE making their senior, first team debuts. Unfortunately, because the MATCH is designated a first team match, the designation (and any subsequent consequences that flow from it) will apply to players from both sides, including players for the U-21 sides.

However, by definition, it is the ACADEMIES of the Premier League/Championship clubs that are invited. There is simply no way that these matches are first team matches for those clubs. Jayson Molumby made his Albion first team debut in the Carabao Cup match against Barnet last season; NOT in the Checkatrade Trophy fixture against Southend United on 30 August 2016! When Collar and Barclay played against Southampton this week, everyone (correctly) spoke about them making their first team debuts, despite the fact they have played in Checkatrade Trophy matches previously. And the likes of Owen Moore and Danny Cashman have NOT yet made their first team debuts, despite appearing in the Checkatrade Trophy!

My heart wants to agree but my head can not. Perhaps best to leave it there. :)

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
I understand what you are saying but it remains a massive step from U23 football, to a game against a fellow PL club, with seasoned professionals.

I really hope he makes it, and it is positive that he seems to be training with the first team as does Barclay.

You’d hope barclay is considering he’s part of the 25 man squad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
Is there anyone on here with proper knowledge of how significant team results are in this U23 division?

Does it mean anything?

My inside source always used to tell me that the big clubs do not focus on results below first team level. They often play younger players and prioritise the individual development of these players over team results.

This approach sounds very logical to me. I just have a slight concern that as fans we could get sucked in a bit about the significance of Albion's U23 performances and results...

Any comments?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The original point was 'break into the first team'.

Does anyone seriously think the albion play their first team in checkatrade trophy matches ? ???

In fact, don't the rules actually prevent the albion playing a first team due to age restrictions ?

Last edited:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
You’d hope barclay is considering he’s part of the 25 man squad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, but given our lack of 4th immediate CB (though we could have got a free agent), and the fact he is over 21, do you think it is a 'needs must'?

Did okay versus Southampton though, but I think longer term is behind White in the pecking order for example.

It is interesting though, and I do think as fans we may be surprised how few do actually make it in the end.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Is there anyone on here with proper knowledge of how significant team results are in this U23 division?

Does it mean anything?

My inside source always used to tell me that the big clubs do not focus on results below first team level. They often play younger players and prioritise the individual development of these players over team results.

This approach sounds very logical to me. I just have a slight concern that as fans we could get sucked in a bit about the significance of Albion's U23 performances and results...

Any comments?

I think you're right.

The younger players 16-19 will benefit from these type of games, but the real development is in playing senior football and the physicality and pace that comes with it.

I am surprised that Tilley hasn't gone out and as I believe [MENTION=1276]AZ Gull[/MENTION] said at the start of the season, this is a big year for him and IMO at the moment, despite last evening I would think he'll be released.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

Does it mean anything?

Any comments?

Development takes precedent over results for sure but if the team are winning games at the highest level it augurs well. Also, having been promoted last year, I'm sure the club would like to keep the development squad in this division.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I think you're right.

The younger players 16-19 will benefit from these type of games, but the real development is in playing senior football and the physicality and pace that comes with it.

I am surprised that Tilley hasn't gone out and as I believe [MENTION=1276]AZ Gull[/MENTION] said at the start of the season, this is a big year for him and IMO at the moment, despite last evening I would think he'll be released.

Tilley has just turned 20 and has 2 years to run on his contract. A loan would have been good though, especially as the form of Connolly and Gyokeres may restrict his opportunities.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here