Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Moped gangs

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Everything shit about London eventually makes it way down here.

Just like everything shit about the US finds its way to London.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
And did you know that if the gang members are Muslims not only are the police not allowed to chase them above 15mph, but if they do catch them they have to give them money as they've been 'speeding for Allah'

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
High speed chases are not really relevant to this discussion. The moped gangs will disappear up alleyways and paths and between bollards where the police can't follow. Having the police on agile bikes is the only way they will have a chance of following, but in general they aren't equipped for that.

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough
Indeed. I thought I would elaborate for the benefit of those who claim, for example, that the Britsh police are giving money to Muslisms on motorbikes, as long as they claim to be speeding for Allah (etc etc).

While I respect your ability to argue and make points with intelligent, deductive reasoning, what you are doing here is what you are prone to doing on may threads. That is, instead of acknowledge the issue that people are concerned about (in this case, an apparent increase in a type of violent, anti-social behaviour) and making constructive suggestions as to how to prevent and combat it, you point out inconsistencies or inaccuracies in some of the posters' points, with an inference that they are reactionary or incorrect. We thereby go into a chicane of theoretical arguing, rather than address the point. This is not uncommon in public / social media debate in the UK today, and it is therefore no surprise that the authorities end up wringing their hands over what action to take in case they offend someone, and are rarely effective.

I would suggest going for 80/20 solutions that are effective, rather than trying to analyse a situation until we come up with a 100% perfect solution that will never cause any harm or offence. By the time the latter is in progress, the attention has moved on to something else, and the backlog of unsolved problems mounts up.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
While I respect your ability to argue and make points with intelligent, deductive reasoning, what you are doing here is what you are prone to doing on may threads. That is, instead of acknowledge the issue that people are concerned about (in this case, an apparent increase in a type of violent, anti-social behaviour) and making constructive suggestions as to how to prevent and combat it, you point out inconsistencies or inaccuracies in some of the posters' points, with an inference that they are reactionary or incorrect. We thereby go into a chicane of theoretical arguing, rather than address the point. This is not uncommon in public / social media debate in the UK today, and it is therefore no surprise that the authorities end up wringing their hands over what action to take in case they offend someone, and are rarely effective.

I would suggest going for 80/20 solutions that are effective, rather than trying to analyse a situation until we come up with a 100% perfect solution that will never cause any harm or offence. By the time the latter is in progress, the attention has moved on to something else, and the backlog of unsolved problems mounts up.

My facetious comment was in response to the absurd suggestion that the police will allow a person to carry on with any sort of criminal business if there is any risk of damage to said individual by an attempted arrest. As in 'political correctness gone mad' sort of thing. This tedious cracked record gets on my wick, and I think that facetious mocking is the best response. I haven't sabotaged the thread, and all the necessary sensible comments have been made. I am a little disappointed that you feel the need to tell me off. :shrug:

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough
My facetious comment was in response to the absurd suggestion that the police will allow a person to carry on with any sort of criminal business if there is any risk of damage to said individual by an attempted arrest. As in 'political correctness gone mad' sort of thing. This tedious cracked record gets on my wick, and I think that facetious mocking is the best response. I haven't sabotaged the thread, and all the necessary sensible comments have been made. I am a little disappointed that you feel the need to tell me off. :shrug:

Sorry, I didn't mean to tell you off. There are many other on this forum more deserving of that. :)

I think I am feeling frustrated with the inability of the powers that be to respond to the fast-changing challenges of the modern world (including Brexit).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sorry, I didn't mean to tell you off. There are many other on this forum more deserving of that. :)

I think I am feeling frustrated with the inability of the powers that be to respond to the fast-changing challenges of the modern world (including Brexit).

Lol - no worries! I probably deserve the occasional reminder to give my head a wobble.

If you are frustrated with the Brexit process stay off NSC's Brexit thread - you'll lose the will to live. :laugh:

All the best :thumbsup:

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough
Lol - no worries! I probably deserve the occasional reminder to give my head a wobble.

If you are frustrated with the Brexit process stay off NSC's Brexit thread - you'll lose the will to live. :laugh:

All the best :thumbsup:

I actually enjoy reading (most of) your posts. I get the feeling that, although we may have different political leanings, you are the type of chap I would enjoy discussing things with over a cup of tea (it would have been a pint, but I am off the alcohol at the moment).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I actually enjoy reading (most of) your posts. I get the feeling that, although we may have different political leanings, you are the type of chap I would enjoy discussing things with over a cup of tea (it would have been a pint, but I am off the alcohol at the moment).

How very kind. That sounds delightful :thumbsup:

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
High speed chases are not really relevant to this discussion. The moped gangs will disappear up alleyways and paths and between bollards where the police can't follow. Having the police on agile bikes is the only way they will have a chance of following, but in general they aren't equipped for that.

If they were actually mopeds you would not need a car to chase them, you could do it on foot and just pull them off, oh err misses.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here