Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Let's give Burnley Dale Stephens for Ashley Barnes back.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Twats are out early really do not understand many on here it was our first game against the team that are favourites to win the whole thing we held them for 80 mins we let in after a sustained spell of pressure and the second was just one of those things onwards and upwards.

I saw a lot of good things out there today Solly looks like he has always played EPL Duffy was a tower Stephens Propper and Grob project in progress but the signs are there, Tomer work hard as he always does Murrey let them know he was on the pitch, Ryan great shot stopper I saw a team that were organised defended in numbers and were outdone by a very good team.

We need a few weeks to find our feet get the new players we have and those yet to come in bed down, I honestly expected a good drubbing anything better than 0-4 was going to be acceptable in my eyes and it's one goal better than our last first game in the top flight

Am I misreading this? Are you saying yesterday's two goal defeat was one goal better than the four nil against Arsenal in 1979?

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Barnes played the same position under Poyet. It's because idiot fans who thought he was still a striker didn't know what Poyet was doing with Barnes that he left. He's exactly the sort of player we need right now.

No he didn't. I saw every game that Barnes played and not once did he play the Stephens role. Do you know anything about football?

Jan 10, 2014
I know that I'll probably get called all sorts but it'd take us to get a couple of injuries for Stephens to get a game for us now.

Jan 10, 2014
Dale is brilliant. Every one is allowed an off moment

Obviously I can't comment, but I did see the highlights of your lot playing Wolves away last season and Stephens played an angled ball over the top to Bruno (I think).

It was brilliant and reminded me of Glenn Hoddle.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Dale is brilliant. Every one is allowed an off moment

This.

In addition, Sam Matterface & Stuart Pearce in their commentary, said that in the PL where so many goals are scored immediately after lost position, it is vital to have banking of midfield and defence at all times as a safeguard for such instances.

They didn't single out DS at all or for his play in general. They thought Propper had a bag game, which was understandable.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Ok. I'm not an idiot. But I'm very angry with Stephens. He wanted to leave. Now he's fine because we are in the premiership. And let me be clear. I thought our performance was excellent tonight. I thought Solly was superb. Duffy (who also made a mistake like Stephens) also superb. Bruno was great. Ryan solid. And I think the most underrated tonight was Jamie Murphy who consistently held the ball up and didn't give it away. I'm just disappointed in Stephens who wanted to engineer a move to Burnley and was tonight for me like he was against Atletico lacking in concentration.

Just sums up that you really do not know what you're talking about - for the umpteenth time this is not the premiership.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I thought the problem was Stephens having to do too much work.... Propper really did not gel, Gross was not brilliant and Murphy is not strong enough. As regards Barnes, I would have him back as I thought he was a good player for us and his commitment (tackling) showed that we had some strength. But swap no way.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Ok. I'm not an idiot. But I'm very angry with Stephens. He wanted to leave. Now he's fine because we are in the premiership.

He wanted to leave because he was offered the chance to play for a team in the PL, when we were in the Championship.

For me, the fact that he signed a new contract days after the end of the season, shows that money was not the motivation. He could have waited around for better offers to come in, but he signed quickly.

I wish other players would do that!!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here