Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Centre mid

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Ha ! Hughton didn't say that though did he. He said it was tough, difficult blah blah but "no hope that we'd win the game". He's far too classy to admit to that in public for starters and it was still on the cards, even if very remote, on the 70th minute. but hey.

No he didn't say we've set up to draw..but you could read that into his interview....but again i haven't got a problem with that ..and we could have nicked it ..we didn't they scored ..we lost we move on...tactics will vary week to week

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that it was most obvious that City would score at some point in the game whether it be the 3rd or 83rd minute or both but we didnt look like we would attack them and get a goal other than a few long range hit and hope shots. The 2 City wing backs forced our wide men back so they offered no support or out for balls from the defence or midfield and as a result we spent 85 minutes pumping the balls out of defence for them to be collected and hit straight back so the defence were under pressure for the entire game and no defence can take that amount of pressure.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
It's within others right to question that opinion and give theirs when you post your opinion on a public forum though right?

As it is, I think people do think that a manager has more control over tactics on the field than actually transpires in a game. The moment that team crosses the line, they have to execute their game against whatever is thrown at them. Gross actually played more as a second striker than I expected, but got pushed deeper and deeper, not by tactics I felt, by the opposition, same with our wingers.

In truth, we were probably more open than other teams like West Brom would have been. City sacrifice width for control of the ball, so with their full backs pushed up as deeper wingers, but beyond their defence, they pushed our own wingers back, and that would only have been alleviated by our ball retention – again, not tactics, that is down to how the players perform.

I don't think Hughton sent them out all guns blazing, but I partly agree with [MENTION=24867]chaileyjem[/MENTION] that we were set up pretty positively given the game, we just couldn't keep the ball. Tactically we could do exactly the same in another game, same directions and instructions from the manager, and we'll create loads of chances and win – same tactics, just different opposition and performance from the team.

You're totally within your right to post your own opinion. But the poster that questioned me initially was rather aggressive saying how people that questioned Hughton were shot down at our forum and insinuating I had no such right to an opinion.

As to your post, your make sensible enough points, although I'd disagree with key points of it. Big managers affect the way their teams play in games. We saw it yesterday with Pep and we've seen it throughout with Mourinho. Hughton's post match interview also admitted to have set the team up so defensively.

As to our wingers being pushed back, Hughton didn't seem to question this in game. As to the suggestion that ball retention would have alleviated our wingers being so far back, I'd again disagree. We were unable to retain the ball because there simply was no outlet ball because the wingers were so far back. At times, down the right, March was picking up Danilo with Bruno not actually marking anyone. That's fine, but it often left Man City with either a central midfield player free, or their closest centre back free as a passing option. By nature of this defensive approach (by either Hughton or our players), we were unable to retain possession because we didn't have any options once we'd got hold of the ball.

All of which makes me believe we weren't set up positively and that Hughton was happy to gift Man City the ball in these areas and effectively keep 9 men behind the ball on our 18 yard line.

Still, you're entitled to your opinion.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
If we're serious about staying up, Hughton needs to change that mentality and be brave enough to push his defensive line higher up the pitch. .

Nice idea in theory. I'm sure he didn't think of that [emoji849]Or maybe he did, and realised it would almost certainly have meant they'd have got their goals much, much earlier and quite possibly humiliated us.

I think it might be better to judge Hughton's 'mentality' when we play teams we have a hope of matching, rather than after facing one of the most expensive and best sides on the planet, who will very likely put 5 or 6 goals away several times this season.

Let's see how we're doing in a couple of months, once we've taken on a selection of sides and our players have had a chance to adapt to the higher level. If we still haven't got a point then, it might be more reasonable to start trotting out the ludicrous Norwich-peddled stereotype about Hughton's negativity. A manager so negative he played two wingers and two up front in almost every game as we battered our way through most Championship opposition for two years running.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
My main gripe was when we went 1 down. He never changed it. We had nothing to lose then and should have opened up . Instead the inevitable happened and we conceded another

Knocky was getting ready to come on when their second went in, OK maybe he should have come on a bit sooner but just bad luck.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I'd agree with that....and didn't see a problem with those tactics at all...and after one game i am not going to start criticising the manager who has served us well for two and half seasons

Criticism is all relative. I didn't enjoy the way we played yesterday and we were incredibly defensive with absolutely no intention of winning the game. You can say otherwise, but our performance was the proof of that.

Plus, the key point in my original post was that I hoped he'd be brave enough not to play like that in future as he's assembled a squad that I think, as I'm sure he does, can stay up. Hopefully we'll see a more proactive approach in the future. But if this type of performance continues, then he should not be immune to criticism, as the reality is he is still rather unproven at Premier League level and he needs to prove he's learned from his past mistakes at Newcastle and Norwich whilst at this level.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Nice idea in theory. I'm sure he didn't think of that [emoji849]Or maybe he did, and realised it would almost certainly have meant they'd have got their goals much, much earlier and quite possibly humiliated us.

I think it might be better to judge Hughton's 'mentality' when we play teams we have a hope of matching, rather than after facing one of the most expensive and best sides on the planet, who will very likely put 5 or 6 goals away several times this season.

Let's see how we're doing in a couple of months, once we've taken on a selection of sides and our players have had a chance to adapt to the higher level. If we still haven't got a point then, it might be more reasonable to start trotting out the ludicrous Norwich-peddled stereotype about Hughton's negativity. A manager so negative he played two wingers and two up front in almost every game as we battered our way through most Championship opposition for two years running.

I'm glad you're proud of yesterday's performance. I'm not.

I'd have much preferred that we actually gave City a game of football rather than getting in bed with them, lubing up, bending over and asking them which way they'd like to f**k us. But each to their own.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
You're totally within your right to post your own opinion. But the poster that questioned me initially was rather aggressive saying how people that questioned Hughton were shot down at our forum and insinuating I had no such right to an opinion.

PS: i think i just meant that Hughton is a very experienced coach. Its tough to argue with him about it, not that its wrong to do so. Certainly didn't want to infer that he's not flawed and apols if you thought i was aggressive. Not my intention !

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
We need more pace through the middle with someone willing to run with the ball. Midfield also need to think and act quickly to feed a fast striker or strikers. One game down so still time to improve. There will be NO EASY GAMES in this division. Enjoy the ride even if it ends in relegation but toooooooooo early to even consider that scenario.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Criticism is all relative. I didn't enjoy the way we played yesterday and we were incredibly defensive with absolutely no intention of winning the game. You can say otherwise, but our performance was the proof of that.

Plus, the key point in my original post was that I hoped he'd be brave enough not to play like that in future as he's assembled a squad that I think, as I'm sure he does, can stay up. Hopefully we'll see a more proactive approach in the future. But if this type of performance continues, then he should not be immune to criticism, as the reality is he is still rather unproven at Premier League level and he needs to prove he's learned from his past mistakes at Newcastle and Norwich whilst at this level.

Well I wasn't aiming my post at you...but as i have said i don't see a problem with those tactics yesterday ..who knows what will happen in future matches...they will be tough ...each one will be but we won't be playing against that talent every week ...you go on about the future ..well we will have to wait and see about that one won't we (you seem to be prejudging)....for now its one game!

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

As to your post, your make sensible enough points, although I'd disagree with key points of it. Big managers affect the way their teams play in games. We saw it yesterday with Pep and we've seen it throughout with Mourinho. Hughton's post match interview also admitted to have set the team up so defensively.

As to our wingers being pushed back, Hughton didn't seem to question this in game. As to the suggestion that ball retention would have alleviated our wingers being so far back, I'd again disagree. We were unable to retain the ball because there simply was no outlet ball because the wingers were so far back. At times, down the right, March was picking up Danilo with Bruno not actually marking anyone. That's fine, but it often left Man City with either a central midfield player free, or their closest centre back free as a passing option. By nature of this defensive approach (by either Hughton or our players), we were unable to retain possession because we didn't have any options once we'd got hold of the ball.

All of which makes me believe we weren't set up positively and that Hughton was happy to gift Man City the ball in these areas and effectively keep 9 men behind the ball on our 18 yard line.

Still, you're entitled to your opinion.

I think you are correct. Chris did set up defensively but that's his ''default'' position in this division when he comes up against the ''Man City's'' of this league. Keep them out and try and get free kicks or corner further up the pitch and nick a goal.

It won't be like that against everyone and his target is to get enough points to stay up, so you try and target your draws and your victories. Every Manager in the bottom 12 teams if you listen to them ''off camera'' They always say '' If you can't win it you have got to try and make sure that you don't lose it '' - Tony Pulis has done that very successfully for years. It's not pretty but he keeps teams up in that League and that is his remit.

I was a bag of nerves for 90 minutes but being a bag of nerves for 90 minutes got my adrenalin flowing and so although I didn't enjoy it, I most certainly got out of it what I watch football for. Points will come elsewhere because those players on that pitch are as good as others in the PL. They are just not as good as the Man City players.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I think you are correct. Chris did set up defensively but that's his ''default'' position in this division when he comes up against the ''Man City's'' of this league. Keep them out and try and get free kicks or corner further up the pitch and nick a goal.

It won't be like that against everyone and his target is to get enough points to stay up, so you try and target your draws and your victories. Every Manager in the bottom 12 teams if you listen to them ''off camera'' They always say '' If you can't win it you have got to try and make sure that you don't lose it '' - Tony Pulis has done that very successfully for years. It's not pretty but he keeps teams up in that League and that is his remit.

I was a bag of nerves for 90 minutes but being a bag of nerves for 90 minutes got my adrenalin flowing and so although I didn't enjoy it, I most certainly got out of it what I watch football for. Points will come elsewhere because those players on that pitch are as good as others in the PL. They are just not as good as the Man City players.

Strange because i was a bag of nerves right up until they scored. I kept looking at the clock and thinking "lets get a 0-0" that would be a great result. When they scored i relaxed after that because i knew it was all over. We had done nothing all game to warrant something from it.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Strange because i was a bag of nerves right up until they scored. I kept looking at the clock and thinking "lets get a 0-0" that would be a great result. When they scored i relaxed after that because i knew it was all over. We had done nothing all game to warrant something from it.

Yeh your right I think I relaxed after they scored the 2nd - I still had hope at 1-0 coz I saw Knocky coming on but the 2nd left it too much to do when he did get on the pitch.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

I'd have much preferred that we actually gave City a game of football rather than getting in bed with them, lubing up, bending over and asking them which way they'd like to f**k us. But each to their own.

You're going to have a very long season if you seriously think our team - a work in progress, with 2 or 3 first choices missing - is going to take on Manchester City (close to £400m spent on players just since Guardiola joined) at their own game.

Yes, I am bloody proud of the players for running themselves into the ground to keep it at 0-0 for so long and even fleetingly threaten a shock lead. They displayed a level of defensive organisation - and bravery in that defending - that is pretty rare even in the PL these days. A solid base to build on for the matches to come.

Not being able to give City a game, as you put it, has very little to do with tactics in this case, and everything to do with the fact that they're much, much better than us - and so they should be, as anything less than the title this season & a long Champions League run would be a failure given their strength in depth.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004

I'd have much preferred that we actually gave City a game of football rather than getting in bed with them, lubing up, bending over and asking them which way they'd like to f**k us. But each to their own.[/QUOTE

We were up against a team that are favourites to win the league, with an abundance of expensively assembled talent playing for an impressive and successful manager. I'm glad we didn't adopt a naive, gung-ho approach. We'd have been picked apart easily and endured a demoralising loss.

As we all know, we do need pace up front. A classic example was Murphy being put through on the counter in the 2nd half and he no passing options at all. He had to stop and pass backwards.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Does anyone remember when Norwich set up to be attacking and we smashed them 5-0?

We parked the bus yesterday, people are going to have to get used to that against the top 6, you can't give them space to play in because they've got the quality to tear you apart.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Based on the live games I've seen on the telly so far, our defence is better than that of Liverpool, Watford, Arsenal and Leicester.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Based on the live games I've seen on the telly so far, our defence is better than that of Liverpool, Watford, Arsenal and Leicester.

This.

And the commentators mentioned this as well, praising our solid shape - especially Dunk's stewardship of the back four.

Propper has got a lot to offer imo, but this was a fish out of water game for him. Too early to judge

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here