Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus Poyet statement following Sunderland sacking

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Sunderland were atrocious before Poyet took over last season and looked absolutely certainties for relegation in the first 2 months of last campaign. It took time for Poyet to turn things around last season, but once they hit form in the last 2 months of the season, they went on a roll.

If there is one criticism you can label at him from his management there this season, it was that he didn't learn from the lesson of last season which was that they got results when he went for broke, mainly because by then it was shit or bust. They got wins at Chelsea, Everton and Manchester United and a draw at Man City by being positive, yet this season they reverted back to caution.

Poyet has to take his share of culpability for that. Having said that though, that group of players at Sunderland is nuclear. They have seen off the last 3-4 managers now with their lack of professionalism and it will be interesting to see how Dick Advocaat gets on. I have a feeling that Poyet won't look like quite so much of a mug for the job he did there in a couple of months from now.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
how long ago was he our manager......................nope sorry still can't remember him!!!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Don't read it? :shrug:
I just wanted to maintain the run of never saying anything new on each of the tri-weekly Gus threads.

I'm glad you felt the need to do the same.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Gus must take credit for coaching him to produce that performance, shirley. ??

Wickhan hardly scored any goals. Then he went out and got some coaching elsewhere. Sheff Wed I think it was where he scored a few and he came back to Sunderland and continued scoring. This year the goals have dried up again. But a striker is all about getting the support and i am afraid their midfield are not up to the task in the Premiership

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Gus never undersells himself. But he's now got two consecutive sackings on his CV, and a question mark over how good a coach he really is. Next job will be tricky to land I think.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
What a remarkable man he is - reading that statement, it appears he's the only manager Sunderland have ever sacked for doing a better than expected job.

Well done Gus.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
His biggest strength is his biggest weakness isn't it?

He has such a high opinion of himself that when he gets things wrong or can't get his own way, he just can't see it. Because of this he can go for broke and pull off spectacular results. This is why his teams are capable of winning away at Chelsea at the same time as getting pasted 8-0.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Gus never undersells himself. But he's now got two consecutive sackings on his CV, and a question mark over how good a coach he really is. Next job will be tricky to land I think.

He could do himself a favour by picking himself up a credible backroom staff along the way rather than the terminally disinterested zero-credentials Tanno and the random zero-credentials water-carrier Charlie Oatway. Muppet Show or what?

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
He was not so effusive when he left us...but then the Lizard did sack him on live television.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I'm still a big fan of Gus - I think he's a fantastic manager.

His downfall at Sunderland was succumbing to fan pressure and abandoning his philosophy completely - Sunderland players didn't seem to know what they were doing after that.

I'm sure there will be plenty of Championship clubs who will have him as first choice when their manager posts are vacant... and he'll probably do a fantastic job too.

I think he needs to eat humble pie and start in League One again to get a struggling team like Coventry promoted. He is too controversial for a Championship side and needs to rebuild his reputation. He could build his team around Bridcutt as well without a problem as I am sure that Sunderland would be happy to put him out on loan.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
I'm sure there will be plenty of Championship clubs who will have him as first choice when their manager posts are vacant... and he'll probably do a fantastic job too.

With him having just described The Premier League as 'the best league in the world' (an entirely objective opinion with absolutely no hidden agenda) I highly doubt that Gustavo Alouicious Poyet would lower himself to return to The Championship, or head over to La Liga come to that. Why settle for second best eh Gus?

Feb 14, 2010
They are 4th from bottom with a reasonable budget and so they sacked their manager. Not sure there is much else to say. Day follows night. No need for anyone to make a statement.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Sunderland is a madhouse, with some very difficult players. Let's see how Advocaat gets on with managing them - assuming the dressing room 'leaders' let him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here