Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Amazon Echo....that lttle slut Alexa, WOW

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Can you connect it to a sonos speaker?
"The companies will begin rolling out the experience through an invite-only beta test later this year, with general availability in 2017."

I don't think it's ready yet, but when it is, you should be able to use Alexa to tell Sonos what to play.
If you want high quality music, you can use a Sonos Connect with a decent stereo. If you want just a generally fine sounding system, Sonos speakers will do, but then you could just use a cheap Echo Dot with a cheap (or old) stereo and you have it all.

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
I personally find it no inconvenience whatsoever to access my music collection or do a search from my PC.

I also struggle to think of many things less appealing than an 'always on' listening device in my home. I'll pass thanks.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I personally find it no inconvenience whatsoever to access my music collection or do a search from my PC.
So when you're chopping food in the kitchen, it's easy to just play some music from your PC? And you have PCs in several rooms? No.

I also struggle to think of many things less appealing than an 'always on' listening device in my home.
You have a poor imagination.
I'll pass thanks.
Your loss.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
"The companies will begin rolling out the experience through an invite-only beta test later this year, with general availability in 2017."

I don't think it's ready yet, but when it is, you should be able to use Alexa to tell Sonos what to play.

When I was doing some research before I bought my dot, Sonos have been promising compatibility for many many months, seems to be a bit like the last GOT book, always promised but doesn't materialise.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
When I was doing some research before I bought my dot, Sonos have been promising compatibility for many many months, seems to be a bit like the last GOT book, always promised but doesn't materialise.
Yep, perhaps don't buy until it's working, but I do think they'll get it done.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
What's the point? It would take less than sixty seconds to do/load/look all that up yourself.
Seems like just another way to be lazy to me. #grumpygranddad

Can only see an advantage if your name is Alexa - for then all inane queries & trivia you were asked could be answered by the inanimate box in the corner. That wd be a plus.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Does she record everything you say and then use it against you in an argument years later ?

Sure things start out rosy, she'll where all that SEXY gear you've been secretly looking at online , talking dirty for you and doing your every bidding etc but by six months in she'll be telling you to do it yourself and calling you lazy at the same time before barking a list of CHORES for you to do before you can leave for the AMEX or they'll be hell to pay when you get back. Oh and you'd better not be drunk....

Then and only then will the callbacks and recordings start to be used.

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
So when you're chopping food in the kitchen, it's easy to just play some music from your PC? And you have PCs in several rooms? No.

The situation you describe has never occurred.

I tend to find that if I'm doing something and I fancy listening to music I have the foresight to put the music on before I begin.

I do have computers in several rooms, but only one has my music on it and is connected to the Hi-fi, but living in a bungalow where all rooms lead off a central passage it is no hardship whatsoever to go into my room and fire something up.

I do not have a poor imagination - far from it. :thumbsup:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The situation you describe has never occurred.
You've never been doing something whilst away from your PC, and thought 'I'd like to listen to music'. Ok :rolleyes:

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
You've never been doing something whilst away from your PC, and thought 'I'd like to listen to music'. Ok :rolleyes:

Ruddy hell guy. Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill.

I'm not pouring scorn on anyone who favours such a device, I just don't like the idea of a bug in my house, and do not find any hardship in doing the (supposed) work which it would apparently save me.

Regarding listening to music while doing something, as I stated I am inclined to sort it before I begin. If it should happen that I don't it's no big deal to not bother, or go and sort it myself.

Talk about a solution to a first world problem. Crikey.

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
I wonder..... How did people with devices to speak to, manage before they got them? I don't have Alexa and manage my life just fine. Siri on my iphone does set an alarm for me on the odd occasion. I would have managed but it is easy to say "Siri set an alarm for half an hour." Not essential to life but helpful.

I guess its the modern age. Whatever will we be inventing next....

Would love to see King Henry VIII, come back to life. The times we live in, have made so much progress we forget how our ancestors would have survived.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
Received an email on Wednesday informing me, as a Prime customer, I'd WON a free Echo. Understandably, I thought it was a scam. But no, unbeknown to me, having used Prime Music on a particular day I was entered into a draw. It's now sitting proudly (a white one) in the kitchen and it has already superseded the UE Boom, which in itself is a decent bit of kit. Sounds quality is a little thin but acceptable considering the price. Not all the commands work either, but generally, I love the news briefings, which can all be customised, and the music prompts. Good stuff. I also tried 'open the magic door' which is something akin to a low level RPG on the BBC Micro.....but still put a smile on my face. Hard to complain when it arrived gratis through the front door...the concept is very interesting and no doubt more games/services will follow.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I asked it to play Charlotte Church Pia Jeu and it played all her pop records but not that classic

Maybe if you'd asked it to play Pie Jesu, you'd have had more luck :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here