Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where will we finish this season?

Where do you think will we finish the upcoming season?

• Disaster - Derby's record is under threat

Votes: 15 8.8%
  • A season long relegation struggle which we lose

Votes: 55 32.4%
  • In the relegation mix, but safe by the end

Votes: 84 49.4%
  • Happily mid table - all good

Votes: 16 9.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I think if we went with what we have today, we wouldn't score enough goals to stay up. Defensively we are pretty sound, midfield is decent IMO, where we lack is the strikers and squad depth. Most teams will be aiming to have two players competing for each place in the 1st team, think we are someway from that currently. CD is probably the only area we truly have 2 players for each position that could cut it at PL level and even then that is arguable.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
No-one is saying they are confident that this squad will stay up, are they? I'm pretty sure they won't take the PL by storm, but we really don't know who can and will make the step up. So, 'don't know' is the only real answer at this stage - nobody has conclusive evidence to prove whether they'd survive or not; there is no '100%' either way.
100% we'll be trying to improve the squad, 100% that if we improve it that will improve our chances of staying up; whether or not we stay up............no certainty either way, regardless of whether we strengthen or not.

Yeah but the thread is about how you feel NOW isn't it? I am not convinced that we will sign strikers of the quality required :shrug:

I made the mistake in my first post on this thread by saying pretty well what you are saying.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yeah but the thread is about how you feel NOW isn't it? I am not convinced that we will sign strikers of the quality required :shrug:

I made the mistake in my first post on this thread by saying pretty well what you are saying.
I was questioning your absolute certainty that we will be relegated if we don't get anyone else in. It would be a struggle, certainly, with the outcome uncertain, but there is not enough evidence at present to prove conclusively that the current squad would get relegated. It may be likely......but not something you could be 100% confident about.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I was questioning your absolute certainty that we will be relegated if we don't get anyone else in. It would be a struggle, certainly, with the outcome uncertain, but there is not enough evidence at present to prove conclusively that the current squad would get relegated. It may be likely......but not something you could be 100% confident about.

Having a grand total of three strikers, one of whom spends weeks injured, one of whom is in his mid thirties and went through last season without getting injured. Nah, we'll go down if that remains the same, of that I am totally convinced.

Teams that don't score goals get relegated and I just don't see the current strike force troubling most Premier League teams.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think many are being very harsh on the existing squad. Whilst I believe that it needs strengthening, some players will find the less physical nature of the PL to their liking, and the more technically gifted may flourish.

The pace of the game against the big 6 will be frightening, and realistically if we get more than 5-6 points from those games it will be a miracle, but we do have a good team ethic, and I'm not frightened by the likes of Watford, Swansea, West Brom, Burnley, Stoke, Palace, Newcastle, Huddersfield, Leicester and of course Plucky Little Bournemouth.

I'm going for relegation being avoided with 3 games to go (it had better be the case given our run in), and a final position of 16th.

Totally agreed. Don't know why people think we are suddenly so much weaker than say, Bournemouth or Watford's squads were when they went up. Very little difference in quality imo. And we will keep signing players yet.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Based on the squad right now, I've voted for the season long battle/relegation combo.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
So. 62% are positive. So far.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I'm going for 15th. I believe it will come down to partnerships and goals.

Murray & Baldock, Stephens & Kayal plus Duffy & Dunk have proved themselves peerless in the Championship, those three pairings at their best should get us to 15th or better if they stay fit.

We must score plenty of goals next season. We did last season so we should get a reasonable return this coming one. Glenn is a 1-in-5 man in the Premier League and I fear Baldock & Groß could be 1-in-10; that's around 11 goals from our front men which won't be enough. So, Knockaert, Stephens, Kayal & March are going to have to step up. Dunk & Duffy will need to be on the end of every dangerous set piece and Suttner will need a few too BUT I think they will and we'll get goals from all over the pitch.

Of course, if we sign some major talent (and I think we will in six weeks), I'll have to up my prediction.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Below halfway, but 3 or 4 points safe off relegation.
I think a team not used to a relegation battle will struggle this season, Stoke or Staines.
We won't win the league, but may cause a few surprises.

This is me

Sep 15, 2013
Regrettably I think after the Man City game we will be bottom of the league & wont get out of the rear 3 all season.
Taking ones BHA blinkers off - as it stands are there 3 clubs who have a worse squad than ours?
I am sure we are trying to find that elusive 2 million Centre forward from Estonia (as the club won't spend much more) & Brunos replacement. Don't even get me started on lightweight Murphy. Then we need upgrades.

Am now bed wetting.

Oh well let's enjoy (endure) it till we are safely back in the bosum of the Championship

This is me

Sep 15, 2013
I'm going for 15th. I believe it will come down to partnerships and goals.

Murray & Baldock, Stephens & Kayal plus Duffy & Dunk have proved themselves peerless in the Championship, those three pairings at their best should get us to 15th or better if they stay fit.

We must score plenty of goals next season. We did last season so we should get a reasonable return this coming one. Glenn is a 1-in-5 man in the Premier League and I fear Baldock & Groß could be 1-in-10; that's around 11 goals from our front men which won't be enough. So, Knockaert, Stephens, Kayal & March are going to have to step up. Dunk & Duffy will need to be on the end of every dangerous set piece and Suttner will need a few too BUT I think they will and we'll get goals from all over the pitch.

Of course, if we sign some major talent (and I think we will in six weeks), I'll have to up my prediction.

Love your optimism. Kayal (frightened to shoot), Murphy (lightweight), Stephens (will be employed closer to the defenders) won't get anymore than 5 league goals between them

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Such negativity .

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We have only 25 players.

We've been told Ince and Towell are likely loans out. LuaLua may go, and 'we are open to offers' for Nowood.

That leaves us with 21, so 4 more in ( + 1 or 2 U21s ).

Pure guesswork to base anything on the strength of unknown recruits.

So, AS OF TODAY, AS THINGS STAND, I can't see many teams finishing below us.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
I think it'll go down to the last day of the season. So, relegation probably. But that's alright: the Championship is likely a lot more fun and we'll be richer for the experience.
Looks like we won't be saddled with loads of overpaid mercenaries to contend with.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here