Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

(Riverside) Mike Dean

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
The ref in the world cup final never saw Zidanes head butt he saw the replay after the event and rightfully sent him off, when you see Ramires leg do you honestly believe it was only worth of a yellow card?

There have been far worse injuries than that caused by completely legitimate tackles. Like the one that put Liam Rosenior out this season for months. He had no complaints - it happens in a contact spot. It seems Mike Dean just doesn't like the sight of blood. People are going on about this like his leg was hanging off... it was only a nasty looking gash but nothing a few stitches couldn't sort in a couple of minutes, as was proved by his role in the celebrations.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
The ref in the world cup final never saw Zidanes head butt he saw the replay after the event and rightfully sent him off, when you see Ramires leg do you honestly believe it was only worth of a yellow card?
I believe more and more with each of your posts that you're a whey faced poltroon from Selhurst.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Can anyone enlighten me as to why the referee would defer to his assistant when the referee was only four or five yards away?

Having come to terms with the decision I cannot understand Mike Dean's actions or thought processes at all. When you brandish a straight red you are ending a player's season with three crucial matches remaining.

It just seemed to be a series of incoherent reactions - picking the wrong card, doing nothing when it was knocked out of his hand then not picking it up, not waving the players away, calling on the linesmen for judgement when he was nowhere near the incident and not fit to make such a crucial call, then looking at the blood and showing a straight red. Totally bizarre bit of refereeing.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If he does ref the final and we are in it, he may feel the need to clear his conscious.

There is absolutely no way they can give him the final after yesterday, whether we are in it or not, surely?

Some sort of demotion would be more fitting, rather than giving him such a prestigious match.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Stephens: "Ref, I got the ball"
Ref: "look at his leg"

The moment the camera caught that it was clear he has made his decision based on the injury.

So so SO weak. I can just for a header and land badly, breaking my ankle. no foul happened.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If he does ref the final and we are in it, he may feel the need to clear his conscious.

Pity the opposition falling victim to Dean 'evening up the count'.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Can anyone enlighten me as to why the referee would defer to his assistant when the referee was only four or five yards away?

Having come to terms with the decision I cannot understand Mike Dean's actions or thought processes at all. When you brandish a straight red you are ending a player's season with three crucial matches remaining.

It just seemed to be a series of incoherent reactions - picking the wrong card, doing nothing when it was knocked out of his hand then not picking it up, not waving the players away, calling on the linesmen for judgement when he was nowhere near the incident and not fit to make such a crucial call, then looking at the blood and showing a straight red. Totally bizarre bit of refereeing.

Being miked up doesn't help - if the linesman is talking in his ear it won't help the thought process - if he is saying its a red it puts doubts in his mind

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
It would make things better if he spoke out today and say he got the red card wrong and it was an honest mistake.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No, it wasn't worth a card at all. What his leg looks like is irrelevant, because it wasn't Stephens' fault! Players get injured all the time, you don't send someone off every time someone's injured.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Please can someone explain to me how Ramirez has got away with knocking the yellow card out of the refs hand?

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Dean was inconsistent the whole game, early on he tried to play an advantage to Boro and then went back to the original infringement which is fine but then just blew immediately for everything else.
A few times when our lads went down (it must be said easily) Dean waved play on, surely if he felt they were diving he should have booked them. The Boro full back had three not bad fouls but nevertheless fouls in the first half had surely should have been booked.
With reference to Stephens red card, from the stands my initial thought was it was a great tackle on 50/50 as he had done the whole game, yes it was hard but consider that both players had an exchange just minutes before I think that Dean and the linesman had presumed that it was malicious. To change from yellow to red on the opinion of the injured player and the linesman when Dean had the best view as he was closest was poor.
Last the offside rules are unclear however I was inline for the goal and my initial thought was it was offside when the freekick was taken, fine when he scored he was onside but an advantage had been gained by initially being offside.
If Dean is a Premier referee he is no better than any others I have seen this season which is disappointing.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012

My neighbour is an ex pro footballer who had his career ended in a very similar way I.e opponent got the ball and then him afterwards. His view - not even a foul. It was just a freak injury. It happens. Do we start sending people off for a clash of heads of one bleeds?

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
It would make things better if he spoke out today and say he got the red card wrong and it was an honest mistake.

You jest, of course. Do you seriously think there is any possibility of an arrogant, useless cvnt like Dean saying "Sorry, I got that one wrong"? The FA would never allow him to admit to a mistake in any case.

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Ovingdean, United Kingdom
Mike Dean was shit yes... But, we didn't deserve to win that game. Worst i've seen us play in sometime. Thar first half was maybe our worst of the season. I'm just thankful we have a second chance.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Mike Dean was shit yes... But, we didn't deserve to win that game. Worst i've seen us play in sometime. Thar first half was maybe our worst of the season. I'm just thankful we have a second chance.

First half was as expected we needed to dig in and stay in the game which we did and grabbed a goal. Momentum is a funny thing in football I don't think you can say we didn't deserve to win as we were not offered the chance to have a proper go for last 35min. No guarantees of course as equally we could have lost but that goal shook them and the ref then ruined what would have been a spectacular finish.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

Frankly, this comment shows how ignorant you are. Nothing to do with the injury. All to do with the tackle. Ramirez came in late, not Stephens. Stephens clearly wins the ball and is in no way reckless. Not even a foul. And Ramirez's behaviour after e.g. shoving the yellow card out of Mike Dean's hand, and the fact he miraculously recovered for the presentation, show it was nowhere near as bad as it looked. Disgusting behaviour to get another player sent off. If I was a Middlesbrough fan, I'd be ashamed of Ramirez and keeping quiet, not heading over to Brighton forums to back up the sending off (despite a number of pundits on TV saying it was never a red card).

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

Personally, I think he's lying if he says the linesman told him to give the red card. As you say, why would you defer to someone further away when you are so close to an incident. It makes no sense. He saw the gash, reacted to Ramirez's actions and changed his mind and now won't admit it. Sad really.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here