Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

TB's loan / investment in BHAFC

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
I assume neither of you were around in 1979 when we really splashed the cash after promotion and the fallout from doing so in the following years ?

I am not sure if you understand what splashing the cash means in the premier league, 30m on a keeper and 50m on a defender is not even splashing the cash in this window. If you want a seat at the table be prepared for all that goes with it. If bloom is happy to have his one year in the sun and take the money that goes with it then fair enough, is his choice and given what he has done at the club must be respected (which I know he is)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I am not sure if you understand what splashing the cash means in the premier league, 30m on a keeper and 50m on a defender is not even splashing the cash in this window.

I think you're in danger of being a little bit silly there Tom.

In what possible universe, can you consider the MOST EXPENSIVE transfer of a defender of ALL TIME, and the third MOST EXPENSIVE transfer of a keeper of ALL TIME, to NOT be 'splashing the cash'?

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I think splashing the cash is a relative thing. Newly promoted sides in the premier league arent instantly rocketed into the 30 million plus on one player bracket. Upper limit for a first season is probably nearer the 10-15 million mark, then if established over 3 or 4 seasons that upper limit increases so the likes of Bournemouth are now in a position to pay far higher fees than they were in year 1

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I've posted this elsewhere a few weeks ago, but I was told by a source extremely close to a director that TB was offered £30m by the board at the end of last season as a 'thankyou' and part repayment.
TB declined with thanks, and said he wanted it all kept in the club and was not looking for money back.

Don't shoot the messenger, but I'm not going to name the director!

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I've posted this elsewhere a few weeks ago, but I was told by a source extremely close to a director that TB was offered £30m by the board at the end of last season as a 'thankyou' and part repayment.
TB declined with thanks, and said he wanted it all kept in the club and was not looking for money back.

Wouldn't be remotely surprised if this was true. TB isn't in this for any kind of financial return, and there's nothing to say he needs to get one anyway. Good for him, incredibly lucky for us.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I could well imagine a lap dog saying that. It's not their money to offer. They have a seat on the Board and miniscule shareholdings.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I think splashing the cash is a relative thing. Newly promoted sides in the premier league arent instantly rocketed into the 30 million plus on one player bracket. Upper limit for a first season is probably nearer the 10-15 million mark, then if established over 3 or 4 seasons that upper limit increases so the likes of Bournemouth are now in a position to pay far higher fees than they were in year 1

And then there are in the top six who are in a completely different 'league'

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
I am not sure if you understand what splashing the cash means in the premier league, 30m on a keeper and 50m on a defender is not even splashing the cash in this window. If you want a seat at the table be prepared for all that goes with it. If bloom is happy to have his one year in the sun and take the money that goes with it then fair enough, is his choice and given what he has done at the club must be respected (which I know he is)

I didn't realise the choice was that simple

Spend 30M Keeper and 50M defender
or
get relegated

Silly me, i thought there may be other options :dunce:

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
I think you're in danger of being a little bit silly there Tom.

In what possible universe, can you consider the MOST EXPENSIVE transfer of a defender of ALL TIME, and the third MOST EXPENSIVE transfer of a keeper of ALL TIME, to NOT be 'splashing the cash'?

Sorry what I should have included is that I do not think they will be the most expensive players this window - yes that is more that we have seen before generally but I do not think its the ceiling - even for this market. There is talks of Neymar going to PSG for £195m - I am not saying Brighton can/should compete with that but it shows where the market currently us. By the way the Neymar deal I feel is splashing the cash

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Yes there are but is it now somewhere in the middle of those deals and where Brighton currently are? That was my point

Those deals were struck by Manchester City and Everton - teams that are trying to win the league / crack the top 4, respectively. We are not competing with those clubs for players at all. At best, we might be in the market for the players the expensive ones replace.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
The market is only buoyant due to the obscene TV monies paid. All the clubs paying the high transfer fees would soon collapse if sky and BT had to reign in the amounts they currently pay. Joe public must now be at the upper limits they are willing to pay.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Those deals were struck by Manchester City and Everton - teams that are trying to win the league / crack the top 4, respectively. We are not competing with those clubs for players at all. At best, we might be in the market for the players the expensive ones replace.

I take it you are excluding the likes of Boro and Villa in the league below, and Huddersfield, Bournemouth, Newcas*le, Leicester, Watford & West Brom who arguably you will be competing with to stay in the league with you?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I take it you are excluding the likes of Boro and Villa in the league below, and Huddersfield, Bournemouth, Newcas*le, Leicester, Watford & West Brom who arguably you will be competing with to stay in the league with you?

When did any of those clubs pay £30m for a keeper or £50m for a defender, then?

We will need to spend some serious money to compete. Nothing like those figures though.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I get your point. It would be interesting to see, say, the top fees paid by each of Bournemouth, Newcastle, Stoke, West Brom, Huddersfield, Burnley, Palace, Swansea and Watford, over the the last 15 months right up to today.

Brighton must shirley have to spend up to that level of fee, unless we are the odd ones out in having a miraculous source of much cheaper top flight quality players.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003

I think having read this thread, that you supporting sunderland and me Brighton is just about right and the way it should stay :thumbsup:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales

Good enough for me.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I'm not sure that makes any sense.

It feels like me asking my Mum to lend me a tenner and then an hour later saying "Here Mum, take this ten pounds and buy yourself something nice."

Just who does the supposed £30m belong to?

(Paging [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION])

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here