Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Being asked for directions

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Looks like some things never change then. Looking back, I had more trouble, aggro and incidents at night walking up London Road in the 2 or so years I lived in Brighton than anywhere else. West Street, London Road in St. Leonards, Hastings town centre, Eastbourne town centre................Nothing like London Road in Brighton.

This isn't London Road London Road though, this is out in the wilds.

I had someone through Ribena or similar after me when I was walking along the side of the road near the top of devil's Dyke, shortly after I'd had a bad crash on my bike. Most of it went into the large open wound on my knee. You do wonder.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Twice I have had people shout abuse at me from a passing car for no reason at all in the last two weeks.

It is definitely **** season out there at the moment.

Not to mention the nutters that feel compelled to mutter something at you as walk past them. Loads of them about at the moment.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
This might sound a bit daft but did you report it to the Police? You might think it is insignificant now but if some poor sod ends up with Acid in their face in a similar circumstance as what happened to you, you’ll regret not reporting it. Not saying they are gearing up for something major like that but you never knows. They might have used you as a (excuse the pun) a dry run for something more serious.

Could you describe the blokes, van any Reg number etc.? It will all be on CCTV I'd expect. Doubt the police would take notice unless it happens lots of times. Intelligence is power for the old bill. Or I might just be blowing it out of proportion because I’m bored at work….. but still i'd personally report it to the local cop shop. No harm in it.

I didn't report it, I kind of figured they've probably got a million better things to do. I posted it on here because I thought if someone else finds themselves in a similar situation at night they might remember this and think twice about walking up to their van. But what do other people think, is it worth reporting just so they have a record etc?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This might sound a bit daft but did you report it to the Police? You might think it is insignificant now but if some poor sod ends up with Acid in their face in a similar circumstance as what happened to you, you’ll regret not reporting it. Not saying they are gearing up for something major like that but you never knows. They might have used you as a (excuse the pun) a dry run for something more serious.

Could you describe the blokes, van any Reg number etc.? It will all be on CCTV I'd expect. Doubt the police would take notice unless it happens lots of times. Intelligence is power for the old bill. Or I might just be blowing it out of proportion because I’m bored at work….. but still i'd personally report it to the local cop shop. No harm in it.

I agree. You never know, it may have happened elsewhere and the jigsaw pieces could start fitting together.

Edit to add, I know it was just water, but there would have been shock to consider which makes it an assault. It could also prevent something terrible, like this scenario.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...ham-khan-jameel-muhktar-beckton-a7808431.html

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
What happened in the immediate aftermath? Did they stay and laugh, spin off..?

Edit. Just seen, he sped off.

What a tool. And rather upsetting I should think.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
And yeah, I'd report that. I assume you are a bloke (?) and although infuriating, you can probably shrug it off. Imagine how scared a lone female or elderly person would feel in the same situation. Can't do any harm to make the police aware, eh.

Braggfan

May 12, 2014
Was the van white by any chance?

I say van, it was more like a truck. You know like scaffolders use, with a cab and an open part at the back. It didnt have company markings on it.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I say van, it was more like a truck. You know like scaffolders use, with a cab and an open part at the back. It didnt have company markings on it.

Gippos. Probably an attempt at diversion theft. Didn't notice anyone on foot nearby did you?

Braggfan

May 12, 2014
No there was no one else around. Unfortunately I don't think there are any cameras. One of the things about that part of London Road is it would have been pretty easy to be well on your way on the A23 or A27 in just a couple of minutes.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Never happened to me, thank the heavens, but sounds a horrid little experience. The result of it is that feeling of completely unwarranted humiliation adjoined to the thought of thinking at least twice before looking to help someone in a similar situation again. Unpleasant.

I was only thinking the other month of the type of person that is stopped for directions, after a week in which, in busy crowds, I was stopped about 6 times. Each time, I did know where they should go, too, which was lucky. I wondered whether I looked like a taxi driver. I have the expanding paunch, and general dislike for most humans until they're about to hand me cash, so it might be the case. Alright, I am going on now, but I recall a number years back, idling through Soho when a chap asked me where a particular strip club was, as if I looked like a regular. I didn't and wasn't. Maybe I have grown out of the lonely, pervy man look into that of a slightly disagreeable driver.

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
I had a lump of pork pie thrown at me once in a drive by pieing. It hit my chest and landed in my pocket. Also had a tray of chips hurled at my car once. A good friend of mine was struck on the arm late one night in Leeds by some shit leaning out of a car wielding a metal bar. So many tossers out there.

Alba Badger

Mar 14, 2016
Straight outta Felpham
I didn't report it, I kind of figured they've probably got a million better things to do. I posted it on here because I thought if someone else finds themselves in a similar situation at night they might remember this and think twice about walking up to their van. But what do other people think, is it worth reporting just so they have a record etc?

I'd report it. The cops won't mind and if it does turn out to be useful it could help a future case. If not no harm done at all. Perhaps I watch to many cop shows, read to many crime books but Johnny Public is the best resource that the cops have, if we ignore stuff and don't report it they have nowt to go on.

If I don't want to talk to strangers I pretend to be foreign .... seems to work

I love doing this, " No speaky English"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here