Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Valencia

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Worth hiring a bikes as we did and cycled to the beach via that river which was diverted so within there are load s of sporting pitches, cafes etc and you end up by the Science place.

Just don't cycle 15 minutes the wrong way like we did !

bhaseeer

Aug 29, 2017
A walk down the long big park is good - centre boring - south of centre some really nice places to eat.
Port area nice too.
Won't be hard getting a ticket.

By the stadium there is a theives market at 5am on sundays - everything nicked during the week is sold back to their owners.......police turn a blind eye......I remember haggling over the price of buying my bike back.....lol

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Are you sure they were pistachio shells and not sunflower seeds? Usually in Spain it's sunflower seeds during the match then at halftime foil-wrapped bocadillos appear in the hands of every fan in the ground. Always at halftime. Never a second before or after.

This, normally it is Pipas, or sunflower seeds in English. Love the way even the most fervent ultra, spitting fire and fury, quietly sits down at half time and unwraps a sandwich.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
This, normally it is Pipas, or sunflower seeds in English. Love the way even the most fervent ultra, spitting fire and fury, quietly sits down at half time and unwraps a sandwich.

I remember reading that when one of the Spanish teams were playing United a few years back, every pet shop in Manchester sold out if sunflower seeds.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Great city to visit - hire bikes and cycle along the park that was the old river bed before they diverted it around the city (can you imagine the response when that was first suggested at a council meeting?!) then visit the science museum and aquarium. Lunch at the aquarium restaurant is fun - sat in a huge fish tank.
Paella at one of the beach front restaurants is a must too.

theboybilly

Thought they were having a new ground built or are they using the same contractors as spurs.

When we drove past the new stadium in November it seemed there wasn't really that much left to do to complete it. Just seats to go in, admin offices to kit out, lick of paint etc. But as in all things Spanish construction money seems to go missing and the project gets put on hold. The new place won't be that far from Levante's ground. They play in red & blue so as expected are very much the smaller and less successful Valencian club :D

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
When I went to see Nice v Marseille last season we did get tickets beforehand to be on the safe side. Their stadium and concourse were outstanding, if not the best I've visited and could drink beer whilst watching the game!!

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
When I went to see Nice v Marseille last season we did get tickets beforehand to be on the safe side. Their stadium and concourse were outstanding, if not the best I've visited and could drink beer whilst watching the game!!

No drinking in the stands in Spain. Not even on the concourse in any of the grounds I've been to.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I can recommend the black squid ink. paella.

Valencia is very much old Spain that we found. Some of the city, especially around the cathedral area has some very " interesting" markets and we found them quite unsettling..kittens and puppies in cages , lots of songbirds so crammed together in cages etc.

But the place itself is great where they have modernised it.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Valencia is a bit of a poor man's Barcelona. Having said the beach area is amazing.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
No drinking in the stands in Spain. Not even on the concourse in any of the grounds I've been to.

Certainly the case at Barca where the only beer you can get on the concourse is alcohol free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
I went to see Valencia v Roma in the champions league when I was on holiday there a few years ago. Booked tickets on line and collected from the ground on the morning of the match.

I can remember the pre-match meal for most fans being deep fried calamari served in a fresh baguette. Bloody lovely!!

I also remember being able to drink beer in the stands and loads of people wandering around the stands selling nuts.

I really enjoyed doing a tour of the bull ring and visiting the bull ring museum (next door).

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
I went to see Valencia v Roma in the champions league when I was on holiday there a few years ago. Booked tickets on line and collected from the ground on the morning of the match.

I can remember the pre-match meal for most fans being deep fried calamari served in a fresh baguette. Bloody lovely!!

I also remember being able to drink beer in the stands and loads of people wandering around the stands selling nuts.

I really enjoyed doing a tour of the bull ring and visiting the bull ring museum (next door).

Another vote for the bull ring and bullfighting museum. You can get excellent - and cheap - empanadas in the main covered market for when you are hungry and the cathedral houses the Holy Grail (allegedly). It's a lovely city and well worth exploring. Transfer from the airport to the city centre is incredibly easy on the Metro.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Pretty sure nothing is POTG there, they sell tickets old school from kiosks at the ground.

You may be able to get your hotel to sort them, when I was there I mentioned it at reception checking in and they dealt with it. Good job too because I wandered up on morning of game and it was busy, touts about too so probably no problem.

Avoid lower sections near pitch and stay under cover as stuff was frequently dropped or thrown from upper tiers.....pretty strange, but probably happens a lot I have never seen so many security cameras in a ground before. Literally 30+ on one wall.

Otherwise beaches are good, and worth a stroll up boardwalks although towards the north end there were muchos new Spanish/European types and tourists had been relived of money, valuables, passports etc. up there. I thought hotel staff were overreacting on the warnings however we cycled up (Valencia is excellent for cycling around by the way), and it was pretty hyper, drugs were being sold and consumed openly. A lot of Herberts about.

I think that because Valencia is a big port city that means it is a point of entry for the new poor Europeans plus lots of cruise ships arrive with wealthy tourists, so add the 2 together and there is natural consequences. So be on your guard, I never felt unsafe, but don’t wear your best watch if it’s a nice one.

We spent 10 days in Valencia and never felt threatened or unsafe at any point...

A lovely City, you must hire a bike from the El Came area and cycle down the turia riverbed gardens, absolutley brilliant fun, you get to pass and I recommend the Oceanografic & City of the Arts and Sciences if you have time. You can cycle all the way down to the Playa de la Malvarrosa takes about a leisurely 40mins, the beach has some great restaurants and beach that is lovely considering it is so near the port.

Oct 25, 2003

Pretty sure you were drinking non-alcoholic beer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here