Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Harty SOCKS it to Barber in the Worthing Herald

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I don't agree with the 'British manager only' bit, but EVERYTHING else is spot on, including the bit about finding a manager with experience. Tony has taken 3 gambles with inexperienced managers. 2 out of 3 ain't bad, but he needs to play it a lot safer with the next one. Hopefully, not too long to go. As for David Burke's SHAMBLES of a summer. Well, he should be shown the exit door straight away. 3 strikers signed. 13 games in. Zero goals. Unbelievable.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
There I was thinking Harty was having a dig at Barber and then he drops the bombshell about time to go for Hyypia.

I get Harty's point, and straight logic dictates that if the club really feel they've recruited well this summer then the only thing they can do if this barren run continues for much longer IS to sack Hyypia.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Find it hard to argue with much of that but then I go to see the football and although the stadium is lovely it is secondary to why I go, what I see on the pitch is far more important to me. I'm not sure Paul Barber gets this. Is he actually an ardent football fan?

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
I don't think they have to be British, but someone with proven knowledge and experience of the league should be essential.

All of this
goodpost_zpsbd3a44cc.gif
:bhasign:

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
I think that is a fair summary. The fact that off the field activities have become more of a talking point than the football is a key indicator of the way things have gone. Contrary to some I don't think we are doing a bad job off the field BUT this does seem to have become the main focus of the club and the football seems to have become second place and for me that is the unforgivable bit. First and formost we are a football club and that has to be the priority, yes it must be done in a cost affective and sustable manner so the finances are important and we can't avoid that but it is a balancing act that they seem to have got wrong.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Its quite well written, for sure, but mildly ironic, that after taking PB to task for the length of his notes, this whole article is basically 1000 words, to say what he could have said in eight; "The current football is not value for money".

The thing about the nationality of the coach just makes him look small minded. Its also a complete nonsense. We got out-thought and out-fought by a Boro team last week, managed by a Spanish coach with zero 'Championship experience'. There are plenty of other examples. But then Harty knew that, anyway.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
It's OK but not sure it's anything groundbreaking, much should be known by all - including PB

I agree the 'using FFP as an excuse' bit. As much as FFP is a poorly thought through millstone to many clubs it is the same for all. Yes a bunch have the benefit of parachutes so start off with more cash than we can generate in an entire season; but rather than constantly shoving it down our throats I think it would be better to lobby for some better degree of equality and to reconfigure FFP so that the purpose is still fulfilled but allowing those clubs that wish to attract whatever (safe!) funding they can get

Just lecturing to us doesn't seem to be a particularly productive use of his time

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
IMHO Harty's article just reinforces the very good point that the club can provide all the fancy facilities that the Fickle Floating Fans demand, but 'the hardcore support of 8,000-10,000' KNOW that as soon as the club take their eye off the ball on the playing side, the FFF will vanish as easily as they appeared.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Indeed. And for those of us old enough to remember, we know that even if we do reach the "promised land" of the top flight, whatever name it exists as, is no guarantee of full houses. Those too young to remember, take a look at our crowds under Mike Bailey a couple of years into our stay in the top flight, compared to those we were getting in the fight to reach Division 1. Football crowds are a fickle bunch, and I fear a lot of people have forgotten or chosen to ignore the size of our true hardcore who will turn up regardless.
I've been saying for ages that the best fun is getting to the promised land as once you are there the fun goes out if it and it becomes a survive at all costs, plus Murdoch will be showing more midweek, evening games etc.
Harry is spot on and we ate paying top dollar for an inferior product at the moment.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
IMHO Harty's article just reinforces the very good point that the club can provide all the fancy facilities that the Fickle Floating Fans demand, but 'the hardcore support of 8,000-10,000' KNOW that as soon as the club take their eye off the ball on the playing side, the FFF will vanish as easily as they appeared.

Spot on and I really don't think Barber realises this.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I was in agreement up until the "I don't want to be xenophobic but..." I know what he's getting but nationality is irrelevant, the keys are experience, ambition and most importantly talent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here