Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion academy in Surrey

VHA on NSC

Banned
May 17, 2013
A town near Charlotte, NC
That should be very simple to put right then. Great news for you guys.

Well done.

Not really, for instance all facets of the academy have to be within the same structure, and practically double the running costs were the two main sticking points. The owners decided at the time of assessment that, as a Championship club on Championship revenue, it would be more prudent not to take on the extra building and running costs - especially when it became apparent that other Category one academies can still steal or poach your youngsters for peanuts.

Obviously, spiralling running costs are not a concern to Brighton, judging by their approach.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
It is worth remembering that in 2006 BHA youth team reached the quarters of the FA youth cup under Wilkins, coached within a supposedly inadequate training environment with youngsters exclusively from Sussex, yet competed on the national stage against some of the most 'progressive' youth academy's, something I doubt will ever be replicated.

I remember this. Didn't we lose to Villa at home and had about 3,500 there ?

Dont suppose anyone has got that team to hand ?

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
What is the problem if somebody is prepared to drive him there for training etc.

I think it depends on how far away you live. It is something like 90/120 minutes car travel is allowed for the youngsters to get to training, round trip. So if he lives another 60 minutes further away from Guildford, it might not be permissible. I can't remember exact figures but I am sure there is this type of restrictions in place for youngsters.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I think it depends on how far away you live. It is something like 90/120 minutes car travel is allowed for the youngsters to get to training, round trip. So if he lives another 60 minutes further away from Guildford, it might not be permissible. I can't remember exact figures but I am sure there is this type of restrictions in place for youngsters.

The old system it was, not now, no restrictions.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Not really, for instance all facets of the academy have to be within the same structure, and practically double the running costs were the two main sticking points. The owners decided at the time of assessment that, as a Championship club on Championship revenue, it would be more prudent not to take on the extra building and running costs - especially when it became apparent that other Category one academies can still steal or poach your youngsters for peanuts.

Obviously, spiralling running costs are not a concern to Brighton, judging by their approach.
yep, no point investing the pl millions in infrastructure. Very sound management that.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Here you are, my friend:-

seagulls.co.uk - Penalty Heartache For Young Heroes

Argus - Match report: Newcastle Youth 0 Albion Youth 0

Newcastle Utd FC - Tim Keeps His Krul As Kids Reach Semis!

Newcastle's team included Tim Krul, Andy Carroll - and a certain Kazenga LuaLua.

Nice one. Good read

I make it Hinshelwood , Elphick , Lynch , Fraser , Fogden properly made it on that list. 3 of that defence being Championship players too. Not sure on the stats of players making the step up from youth teams but that is probably a good indication of why we did well that year.

Be very nice to be pushing the later rounds in the youth cup again as clearly has a knock on effect further down the line.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Nice one. Good read

I make it Hinshelwood , Elphick , Lynch , Fraser , Fogden properly made it on that list. 3 of that defence being Championship players too. Not sure on the stats of players making the step up from youth teams but that is probably a good indication of why we did well that year.

Be very nice to be pushing the later rounds in the youth cup again as clearly has a knock on effect further down the line.

Just one point of correction: the Hinshelwood is Paul, rather than Adam. (Paul is currently at Bognor, but likely to miss the rest of the season due to a knee injury).

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Just one point of correction: the Hinshelwood is Paul, rather than Adam. (Paul is currently at Bognor, but likely to miss the rest of the season due to a knee injury).

Poor bugger. That family haven't got two good knees between them :down:

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water

Not to you lot no . We've got a established academy which has taken years to build so the new kids on the block won't effect us too much .

And I personally think you'll always pick up hungrier young kids in South London rather than Sussex, purely because of the social dynamics.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009

What was the excuse this summer. It's your second season in the Premiership.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
What was the excuse this summer. It's your second season in the Premiership.

Our current training ground isn't big enough to house the academy ( they are using the cpsc) this issue is one of the reasons we haven't got cat 1 . This is being resolved ATM with a new bigger training complex being purchased so the academy can be under the same roof . That is if we want cat 1 , which I'm sure we do .

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Our current training ground isn't big enough to house the academy ( they are using the cpsc) this issue is one of the reasons we haven't got cat 1 . This is being resolved ATM with a new bigger training complex being purchased so the academy can be under the same roof . That is if we want cat 1 , which I'm sure we do .

Why did you buy your training ground last summer if it isn't big enough for what you want?

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Why did you buy your training ground last summer if it isn't big enough for what you want?

Good point , I can't answer that . But hopefully we are now sorting it .

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
No, not if you're a Championship club at the time, and there is no PL money. That would be foolish, no?
Yes but they've done it now though haven't they, what with two years worth of Sky cash plus loads more parachuting in next year. Surely?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
And I personally think you'll always pick up hungrier young kids in South London rather than Sussex, purely because of the social dynamics.

That is an outdated view, not the hunger but more that that comes within the social dynamics you refer to.

A quick glance at the FIFA World rankings doesnt particularly hold your view, Germany top, including Belgium, Holland with the usual suspects of South America etc etc.

Its all about development and access to a skilled and elite sporting environment ( not necessarily shiny buildings or baize pitches ), less so the lower social demographics which in the modern era might be seen as a hindrance in terms of discipline and a regular commitment, not the fortitude of some within the inner cities ( but not exclusive to them ).

The point made was the BHA youth side Sussex based players that just lost out to a penalty shoot out against their superior (facilities, recruitment, heritage) premier league side Newcastle at the quarter finals of the prestigious FA Youth Cup in 2006, the clear thing is the core development of those players irrespective of the circumstances of the perceived inadequate training environment, it didnt actually hinder them as the current state of the art facility might not on its own deliver the gains so obviously expected, the key and the absolute necessity is to have skilled coaches.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here