Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dale Stephens. Picked up a Knock in Training = Out for ???

Martlet

Jul 15, 2003
He was awful at Goodison and hasnt been or shown much when he has come on as a sub. He would be ok for a Championship side.

Give the guy a break. He started the season very well, is clearly struggling to get up to speed but is a good player - particularly at closing down and showing some physical presence. I like Beram coming on with 20 to go.

He did well against Palace in the cup, and wasn’t the only one to have a mediocre game yesterday.

The bigger issue is how reliant we are on Dale, his class and physicality in midfield. Anyone playing alongside him tends to look good.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I have been a knocker of Stephens but it definitely shows when he is not playing. Kayal coming on for the last 15 minutes has shown how good he is, however, I want Stephens back in.

D

Deleted member 2719

I think that Kayal would have done better had he man marked Rooney and just sat on him wherever he went.and stopped him dictating play.

I said the same to my son, I am sure he could have played that role, but managers don't seem to do that man marking role anymore, but I am convinced that would have given us a chance against Everton.
BG you need to get a meeting with Hughton and have a word in his shell like.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I said the same to my son, I am sure he could have played that role, but managers don't seem to do that man marking role anymore, but I am convinced that would have given us a chance against Everton.
BG you need to get a meeting with Hughton and have a word in his shell like

The problem is using a man for that job means you lose 1 player but the plus is you stop the other side playing to their strengths and CH would have to decide which is the most relevant. Yesterday I think stopping them playing would have been.

You should remember that I know nothing about football.:)

D

Deleted member 2719

The problem is using a man for that job means you lose 1 player but the plus is you stop the other side playing to their strengths and CH would have to decide which is the most relevant. Yesterday I think stopping them playing would have been.

You should remember that I know nothing about football.:)

I agree we didn't need Beram to create chances but we did need Rooney to be out of the game, I wonder why CH didn't do it.
As

I disagree that you know nothing about football, your right IMO most of the time, it's just some of these whipper snappers haven't lived enough to get a big enough picture!

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
BG you need to get a meeting with Hughton and have a word in his shell like.

I've heard it discussed on radio, where they cited that Mourinho deliberately stuck a player (Mata?) on De Bruyne last season in a game, which worked well, and reduced their threat. I can't find a stat or report to back that mind..

D

Deleted member 2719

I've heard it discussed on radio, where they cited that Mourinho deliberately stuck a player (Mata?) on De Bruyne last season in a game, which worked well, and reduced their threat. I can't find a stat or report to back that mind..

That wouldn't surprise me.

Seems logical to stop the play maker, because if you give them space they can kill you.
I was hoping we could have come out second half and done that, but Chris decided to keep it the same.
It shouldn't cost us now but, it would have been nice to see Rooney squeezed.

SeagullRic

Jan 13, 2008
brighton
That wouldn't surprise me.

Seems logical to stop the play maker, because if you give them space they can kill you.
I was hoping we could have come out second half and done that, but Chris decided to keep it the same.
It shouldn't cost us now but, it would have been nice to see Rooney squeezed.

The problem with this approach for me would have been that Rooney was playing quite deep a lot of the time, picking up the ball of the centre backs and spreading the play from there. Granted at times he was more advanced, but his general position was deep within their formation.

Therefore if Kayal had 'man marked' Rooney, he'd have left a gaping hole next to Propper and risked us being (even further) overrun in the middle of the pitch. Not disputing that sticking a man on Fat Wayne would have been a good idea, but if CH had done it asking Gross to do that job would have allowed us to retain the balance of the two more defensive centre midfielders in Davy and Beram.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The problem with this approach for me would have been that Rooney was playing quite deep a lot of the time, picking up the ball of the centre backs and spreading the play from there. Granted at times he was more advanced, but his general position was deep within their formation.

Therefore if Kayal had 'man marked' Rooney, he'd have left a gaping hole next to Propper and risked us being (even further) overrun in the middle of the pitch. Not disputing that sticking a man on Fat Wayne would have been a good idea, but if CH had done it asking Gross to do that job would have allowed us to retain the balance of the two more defensive centre midfielders in Davy and Beram.

If Kayal sat on Rooney further forward our midfield wouldnt have been exposed because the balls wouldnt have got forward to their men. in advanced positions.so Propper etc could have coped. our problem was not having a midfielder on the bench.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here