Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Naughty Boys From Barnsley?

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
Somebody was saying at half-time on Saturday that one of the stewards got "smacked out and laid on the floor" by one of our fans who was then said to have runaway out of the ground. Is this the incident?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Odd really because they were really friendly and welcoming at the entrance to the turnstiles before the game.

Very pleasant reception when entering the ground as was Brentford

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I remember going to a Barnsley vs Sheffield Utd FA Cup tie in 1989.

I won't repeat what racist stuff the home crowd were chanting - and it wasn't a few mindless individuals.

Having lived in Barnsley for a bit back then, I have to remember how insular the town was; how it lacked any inward investment; how the heart of the community had been ripped out. It was a big mining town where outsiders were treated with suspicion. This helps make the culture understandable, but not inexcusable. There are plenty of other communities that have experienced the same. There are also many Barnsleyites who are not to be tarred with that brush. The anger and frustration simmers though and it takes many generations to shake it off and move forward.

Sent from my iPhone in a non-Calde world :-(

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Didn't see what caused it but the steward (actually was a supervisor) was certainly throwing more punches than the fan. Even after other stewards stepped in and pulled the fan away the "supervisor" went back in to throw a few more.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
It is interesting from what Paul Barber was quoted as saying in the Argus yesterday, that there still have been homophobic incidents at the Amex this year. Now we have a post claiming that a steward used homophobic comments on Saturday, followed by physical violence.
Paul Barber was saying that more needs to be done about tackling this abuse, so if this incident happened in the manner quoted on here, then the Albion and Mr Barber especially, needs to look deeper into this. Here we have at least two posters who witnessed some of the incident, saying the steward appeared to be more than overzealous in the treatment of a fan. I am sure many of us have been victims over the years of some heavy handed treatment by stewards, who thankfully are a small minority who abuse their positions. If Barnsley has a Supervising steward with homophobic tendencies, he needs to be removed. The Barnsley fans have had previous in this area towards the Albion fans, which ended with one Barnsley fan being arrested and cautioned for such actions by Sussex police. Sheebo stated in his post that Brentford stewards were reportedly making homophobic comments at the Brentford game recently, so yes Mr Barber, quoting your comments at the Sport Industry event in London, "more can and should be done", especially when if these stories are true, it is the stewards attitudes that need changing first.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Didn't see what caused it but the steward (actually was a supervisor) was certainly throwing more punches than the fan. Even after other stewards stepped in and pulled the fan away the "supervisor" went back in to throw a few more.

Blimey that's a bit cowardly. Fellow stewards hold the guy while the Supervisor keeps punching him, sounds a bit gangster like.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
It is interesting from what Paul Barber was quoted as saying in the Argus yesterday, that there still have been homophobic incidents at the Amex this year. Now we have a post claiming that a steward used homophobic comments on Saturday, followed by physical violence.
Paul Barber was saying that more needs to be done about tackling this abuse, so if this incident happened in the manner quoted on here, then the Albion and Mr Barber especially, needs to look deeper into this. Here we have at least two posters who witnessed some of the incident, saying the steward appeared to be more than overzealous in the treatment of a fan. I am sure many of us have been victims over the years of some heavy handed treatment by stewards, who thankfully are a small minority who abuse their positions. If Barnsley has a Supervising steward with homophobic tendencies, he needs to be removed. The Barnsley fans have had previous in this area towards the Albion fans, which ended with one Barnsley fan being arrested and cautioned for such actions by Sussex police. Sheebo stated in his post that Brentford stewards were reportedly making homophobic comments at the Brentford game recently, so yes Mr Barber, quoting your comments at the Sport Industry event in London, "more can and should be done", especially when if these stories are true, it is the stewards attitudes that need changing first.
The response will be a multi game ban from the Amex if previous experience is anything to go by. Any disagreement with stewards means you (the fan) are in the wrong apparently.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Left Back

Jan 22, 2011
The stewards seemed a friendly bunch to me. Did seem them lecturing a bunch of Brighton lads when I arrived - asked another steward what they did and he told me they were caught grafitiing the toilets - saw them in the ground later so I guess they were let it.

Saw a bunch of stewards running before half time - after the game I asked the same steward what the excitement was earlier and he said that some Brighton fans were drinking in the stands and when asked to leave assaulted a steward and the Police were now involved.

Didn't see the incident, but the different versions here does surprise me a little as they seemed decent to me.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
The response will be a multi game ban from the Amex if previous experience is anything to go by. Any disagreement with stewards means you (the fan) are in the wrong apparently.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I'm sure Paul Barber is to wise to go down that route without investigation, as QPR have had to pay out for two different cases around £20,000 in compensation for backing stewards who were later proved to be in the wrong. Also the Football supporters federation add that it could cost QPR a further £200,000 in legal costs. He is to penny wise to take that chance surely?

Last edited:

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
The stewards seemed a friendly bunch to me. Did seem them lecturing a bunch of Brighton lads when I arrived - asked another steward what they did and he told me they were caught grafitiing the toilets - saw them in the ground later so I guess they were let it.

Saw a bunch of stewards running before half time - after the game I asked the same steward what the excitement was earlier and he said that some Brighton fans were drinking in the stands and when asked to leave assaulted a steward and the Police were now involved.

Didn't see the incident, but the different versions here does surprise me a little as they seemed decent to me.

I'd only seen 1 of the stewards acting over the top, the rest of the stewards involved in the incident only did what was necessary to defuse the situation. I spoke to a few of the stewards afterwards about the supervisors behaviour and they seemed just as disgusted by it as we were.

adam1979ross

Mar 2, 2017

Think I know the family of the lad this happened too.... lovely lad and it seems from what I hear that he and his friends were provoked and then stitched up by the stewards – then got arrested and banned apparently! How is that fair? I think not

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here