Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Middlesbrough bid 14million for Jordan Rhodes. ffp?

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Why hasn't Jordan Rhodes ever been taken by a Premier League club?

Bizarre that a player can have such a huge reputation and price tag without ever having kicked a ball in the top flight.

Jordan Rhodes is purely an old fashioned goalscorer, a modern day Ian Rush. However, that's not enough in the modern era. You need to have more about your game to make it these days and he's just not good enough technically

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I have no care about how much money Middlesbrough and QPR spend, it's all about our remaining signings.

We can still bring in excellence in 4 or 5 positions, probably for much less than a total of 14 million.

Invest in 2 decent wingers, maybe get Gutierrez in the central midfield role, along with a central defender and we'll give Middlesbrough a run for their money.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
If Rhodes is sold to Boro then Rovers' embargo will be lifted. I suppose that would be the kiss of death on any deal for Marshall.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Having shifted Gestede, for a big profit, and Rhodes, if it goes through, plus their combined wages and that of their reserve keeper who was on £10k per week(!), then their embargo is lifted. How long it takes for the FL to sanction compliant ffp losses, I defer to more knowledgable folk on NSC.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Having shifted Gestede, for a big profit, and Rhodes, if it goes through, plus their combined wages and that of their reserve keeper who was on £10k per week(!), then their embargo is lifted. How long it takes for the FL to sanction compliant ffp losses, I defer to more knowledgable folk on NSC.

Their overall loss in 2013/14 was 42m. What their FFP loss was I have no idea, but would suggest it was decent proportion of that. If selling Rhodes will get the embargo lifted, why have they not done it already? I don't think the FL have given a timescale as to how long it will take - I suspect it would be different for each club. It would not happen overnight, that is for sure.

According to El_Presidente's splendid article here http://www.northstandchat.com/content.php?508-How-much-is-promotion-worth, their turnover for 2013/14 was 30.3m - wages alone were 40.9m! There is a huge amount to get off their wage bill to get within an allowable loss of 6m.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

Has it been reported that this would be sufficient to get it lifted?? As noted above, their last set of accounts (for 13/14) reported loss of 42m, which they need to reduce by 29m to reach the FFP target of 13m loss for this season.

Given that the 13/14 accounts will have included £16m in parachute payments, which will have reduced by 8m for last year and this season (their last season of PPs), it'd surprise me if it didn't require more than just selling Rhodes and Gestede.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
Jordan Rhodes is purely an old fashioned goalscorer, a modern day Ian Rush. However, that's not enough in the modern era. You need to have more about your game to make it these days and he's just not good enough technically

That begs the question, how much would Ian Rush or Gary Lineker be worth in today's market?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Well listening to the Blackburn boss on the radio last night it's going to have to take more dosh for Rhodes to go

Maybe we should send one of the Albion hierarchy up there to explain that you need to sell players that don't want to play for you anymore.

FWIW I think both Rhodes and Marshall will have new clubs before the window closes.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I think Rhodes wants out. He wasn't happy last season (Bridcutt/Buckley style) and was dropped for some games. He obviously wants to step up a level and Blackburn don't want to sell to a Championship competitor. Rudy went to Villa very easily; my guess is that Rhodes would be gone if a top tier side came in for him. This is not about the amount, rather the destination.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
How reliable are the sources on this 14m bid? I know that this figure has been talked about on SSN etc., but Midds are owned by a fan who's been there for years, and I find it hard to believe that they would offer such a large fee for Rhodes when they could get better players for half that price.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

That does a disservice to Ian Rush. Not only was he arguably the best finisher in UK football since Greaves but he was also one of the best defensive attackers too, he really made it hard for teams who liked to play it out from the back.

Rush would have thrived in the modern era too. He was ten times better than Rhodes.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
A- Hes not worth £14M or anything like it!
B- Middlesboro are mad to want to spend £14M on him!
C - Blackburn are stark raving mad not to accept the offer!
The silly season is upon us for sure now! Mind Boggling!

And yet people think it's easy to just "go out and but a 20-goal striker"... You have clubs TURNING DOWN £14M in the Championship! Here's hoping Hemed and Zamora prove that you can sign quality without going batsh!t mental in the transfer market.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here