Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dear Mr Bloom, Mr Barber and BOD

SteveTheSeagull

I AM A CRIPPLED ALICE FAN
Feb 14, 2015
I meant in football terms really. No doubt they are seemly leaking money from the running of the Amex. That has to be dealt with...... It has been mentioned by Barber and Bloom.

Ah okie. My apologies.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Hughton would have asked what the summer budget was before taking the job. The only shock would be if the board had lied / mislead him in which case I'm sure he will walk if that scenario comes to fruition. It's survival then rebuild.

I am not sure that would have been broached.

He was set on to steady the ship, and keep us up..simples. He needed a job as do all out of work managers and whilst he would have had an eye on what would be required next year, especially a bloom and co keeps banging on about premisrship ready, I would have not have thought he would have rejected the offer on the basis that next season the transfer fund was derisory.

Remember we have a host of academy and youth / u21 players that will need to be blooded and if we stay up then we must use at least 3 or 4 of them or what is the point in an academy at all!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
...Remember we have a host of academy and youth / u21 players that will need to be blooded and if we stay up then we must use at least 3 or 4 of them or what is the point in an academy at all!

I would think that the AMEX EFPC producing 3 or 4 players per year is an ambitious target for 5+ years time. I think the real potential will be in the younger players, not in the current U21s.

For now, I think they will be delighted with promoting 1-2 per year to the senior squad, and hopefully next year this will be Rea at least.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Bloom had no intention of sacking any of the managers that he's employed. Gus decided his own fate, Oscar and Sami both decided to walk. Bloom has a more enlightened view about football management in that, if he decides that someone is the right person he will give them enough time to show it. This will be a lot more that 6 months or until they lose a few games. I honestly believe that he won't be too fussed about a relegation if, in his opinion, this will ultimately lead to a stronger team and manager.

I think that us fans will need to get used to this approach or there will be several of us with unnecessary heart attacks or strokes.

He was quick enough to sack Russell Slade, but then he didn't extend his contract, being a Dick Knight signing probably made the difference.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I meant in football terms really. No doubt they are seemly leaking money from the running of the Amex. That has to be dealt with...... It has been mentioned by Barber and Bloom.
And should have been dealt with already by Barber. If it hasn't then why do people think he's done so well? He only had ken brown to improve upon and had the existing sponsorship of Amex to draw on yet he's viewed as some sort of guru by some.

Even with the biggest attendances and some of the most expensive tickets we rely on player sales to meet ffp. Not all clubs had to. Perhaps we should look at a different ceo.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
And should have been dealt with already by Barber. If it hasn't then why do people think he's done so well? He only had ken brown to improve upon and had the existing sponsorship of Amex to draw on yet he's viewed as some sort of guru by some.

Even with the biggest attendances and some of the most expensive tickets we rely on player sales to meet ffp. Not all clubs had to. Perhaps we should look at a different ceo.

In 2013/14 its likely (when all accounts are published) that Albion had the 2nd largest match day income of any club in the Championship well ahead of other clubs even taking into account ticket price, the biggest revenue in the club's history ever (£24m), and losses were reduced by nearly a third.
Admin and Operational costs were reduced last year by £5m, yet the football budget was increased again to £20.7m and this has increased by 60% since 2012 . Its still one of the largest in the league outside of those clubs with Parachute payments. It might have been spent poorly last summer but thats not down to Barber.
Commercial and advertising income has gone up by £1m since Barber arrived and is now, outside of Leeds, the largest in the league. Amex replacing Brighton and Hove Jobs.com and Nike replacing Errea, 2 deals he was responsible for, have seen a "significant increase" in Albion income.
Transfer fees in 13/14, which Barber negotiates (Barnes and Bridcutt primarily) were £3.8m in 13/14. Its likely as in previous years that nearly All Champ clubs will have made a profit on player sales.. (in 2012/13 everyone did except Cardiff & Blackburn so this is not unusual and 12 clubs had a bigger player profit than the Albion so you could argue that nearly all the Cham "rely on player sales to meet FFP".
But apart from all that...

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
In 2013/14 its likely (when all accounts are published) that Albion had the 2nd largest match day income of any club in the Championship well ahead of other clubs even taking into account ticket price, the biggest revenue in the club's history ever (£24m), and losses were reduced by nearly a third.
Admin and Operational costs were reduced last year by £5m, yet the football budget was increased again to £20.7m and this has increased by 60% since 2012 . Its still one of the largest in the league outside of those clubs with Parachute payments. It might have been spent poorly last summer but thats not down to Barber.
Commercial and advertising income has gone up by £1m since Barber arrived and is now, outside of Leeds, the largest in the league. Amex replacing Brighton and Hove Jobs.com and Nike replacing Errea, 2 deals he was responsible for, have seen a "significant increase" in Albion income.
Transfer fees in 13/14, which Barber negotiates (Barnes and Bridcutt primarily) were £3.8m in 13/14. Its likely as in previous years that nearly All Champ clubs will have made a profit on player sales.. (in 2012/13 everyone did except Cardiff & Blackburn so this is not unusual and 12 clubs had a bigger player profit than the Albion so you could argue that nearly all the Cham "rely on player sales to meet FFP".

What have the romans ever done for us…..

I really fail to see why Barber continues to get so much stick when posts such as this show that he is actually getting on with his job very well indeed.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there

Hmm so we sold Buckley, Bridcutt and Ulloa saying we didn't have to sell to meet ffp yet are now relying on their sale to meet ffp. Depends what spin you want to believe I guess, this years or last years.

Great effort by Barber reducing costs by £5m. Of course that has to be considered in the context of the completely bloated animal the club had allowed itself to become prior to that though. Astonishing really that successful businessmen allowed it to happen and then shell out big salaries to reign it in. Also a shame we'll have lost around £2.5m in reduced attendances this year; of course that will have been absolutely nothing to do with Barber....

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Hmm so we sold Buckley, Bridcutt and Ulloa saying we didn't have to sell to meet ffp yet are now relying on their sale to meet ffp. Depends what spin you want to believe I guess, this years or last years.

Great effort by Barber reducing costs by £5m. Of course that has to be considered in the context of the completely bloated animal the club had allowed itself to become prior to that though. Astonishing really that successful businessmen allowed it to happen and then shell out big salaries to reign it in. Also a shame we'll have lost around £2.5m in reduced attendances this year; of course that will have been absolutely nothing to do with Barber....

Ok. I get it. you really really really don't like the bloke. Fair enough.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Ok. I get it. you really really really don't like the bloke. Fair enough.

Can't stand the bloke. Shallow odious little creep who will be remembered poorly by all when he leaves and he is unable to control and spin. That doesn't change what I said in the post that you've quoted though.

Can't stand the bloke. Shallow odious little creep who will be remembered poorly by all when he leaves and he is unable to control and spin. That doesn't change what I said in the post that you've quoted though.

If that's the playground vitriol over and done with for now should you have data confirming the claim that BHA needed to sell players, specifically Buckley, Ulloa and Bridcutt, to meet FFP requirements now would seem a good time to share it.

I think Bloom is no more knowledgeable than me at running a football club. He is die hard Brighton who has been successful in his business ventures and thankfully for us, invested big time in the club he loves. He has appointed the best bean counter in the footballing world to run things on a financial level and this seems to take precedent over anything else. We will be a great business over the coming years but will win nothing until we get someone who knows football and the risks you have to take if you want to win things. In the coming years noddy outfits like Bournemouth will become financially sound due to gambling for a stint in the prem and we will be sorted by just making money and having mid table seasons with a couple of cup runs.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
If that's the playground vitriol over and done with for now should you have data confirming the claim that BHA needed to sell players, specifically Buckley, Ulloa and Bridcutt, to meet FFP requirements now would seem a good time to share it.

****. How's that for playground vitriol?

The info re player sales being needed to contribute to meeting ffp was from chaleyjem for what it's worth. Check his previous quotes to which I was responding.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I think Bloom is no more knowledgeable than me at running a football club. He is die hard Brighton who has been successful in his business ventures and thankfully for us, invested big time in the club he loves. He has appointed the best bean counter in the footballing world to run things on a financial level and this seems to take precedent over anything else. We will be a great business over the coming years but will win nothing until we get someone who knows football and the risks you have to take if you want to win things. In the coming years noddy outfits like Bournemouth will become financially sound due to gambling for a stint in the prem and we will be sorted by just making money and having mid table seasons with a couple of cup runs.

Is there something in the food/beer served up at the Amex? Greatest bean counter in the football world ffs?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

But we did spend heavily this season. Millions. We outspent many in the championship and this idea that we don't continue to provide a remarkable service for the BMW etc dealers in the county is just a nonsense.
Unfortunately all the money went on players that couldn't score for toffee and are giving us the fright of our lives. So what do you do then ? (Sack the blokes who recruited them, get in some replacements...and pray that next season will be better). But why do you think we didn't ?
Just because Bournemouth or Burnley or Leicester or Palace or Brentford have done well or were promoted in previous seasons (all with budgets less than ours) is unfortunately not necessarily based on how much they spent on wages and fees . If only it was as easy as that.

But we did spend heavily this season. Millions. We outspent many in the championship and this idea that we don't continue to provide a remarkable service for the BMW etc dealers in the county is just a nonsense.
Unfortunately all the money went on players that couldn't score for toffee and are giving us the fright of our lives. So what do you do then ? (Sack the blokes who recruited them, get in some replacements...and pray that next season will be better). But why do you think we didn't ?
Just because Bournemouth or Burnley or Leicester or Palace or Brentford have done well or were promoted in previous seasons (all with budgets less than ours) is unfortunately not necessarily based on how much they spent on wages and fees . If only it was as easy as that.
Did we really spend heavily? Shockdale and Kayal took some wedge and some wages for some crocked old nags.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Did we really spend heavily? Shockdale and Kayal took some wedge and some wages for some crocked old nags.

Tony Bloom confirmed that this season's budget was the highest it had been. It's been frittered away by the club.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
****. How's that for playground vitriol?

The info re player sales being needed to contribute to meeting ffp was from chaleyjem for what it's worth. Check his previous quotes to which I was responding.

I certainly didn't say anywhere that Bridcutt or Buckley were sold to meet FFP. You wanted to argue yet again that Paul Barber hadn't been effective at doing his job and that even if had reduced costs at the club was only because of their incoming transfer fees. And also that Albion were somehow unique in this respect in selling players.
All reports are that they were sold because they wanted to leave, we had offers, we couldn't stand in their way and Barber negotiated a rather bigger fee than anyone expected. And at this rate they'll be back in the Championship in a few weeks anyway. At least we've never lost 4-1 at home to them recently. (ok it was 3-1 but i'll take it)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here