Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Player ratings - Southampton (H)

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I sent my previous post before finishing it! Just edited it!

What I meant was coming on here and there in different positions is not actually helping as he has looked a bit lost in all of his appearances so far, which is understandable, so that's not really helping us.

Ok. but to be fair he's so far played about 35 minutes of football for us. Its not a lot to go on is it ?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The two points that I would query having posted my marks earlier is the fact that the mere attendance of AK seems to be the sign to consider he did well. I thought that he offered nothing either offensively or defensively and had probably his worst ever game for us yesterday. I did wonder whether the Premier is 1 step too high for him but I hope that he can prove it isnt. I am also disappointed with Ryans kicking as I am sure I read when he came here that kicking was one of his strong points. To give credit he is ok when the ball is passed to his feet and can kick with either foot but the poor part of lack of accuracy seems when kicking from his hand or dead ball.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
I had a feeling this thread would be interesting reading, and I wasn't wrong! Very contradictory opinions, but I would agree with what seems like the consensus, all 6s except for Dunk, Duffy, Gross and Murray who would all get a 7 from me. Stephens was very good second half after a poor first half.

I'm concerned by Propper Dave in the middle, I really don't see what he adds and I think he'll find himself on the bench when Kayal is fit enough to start. He offers nothing in attack, and no particular presence at the back. He's clearly a nice footballer, very gifted and plays a lovely pass but he's really not having an impact on the game which isn't good enough for us.
Wth Molunbys rapid development,i can see him overtaking Kayal in the squad......let alone Propper.It would not surprise me if we sell Kayal next summer......(I know its a game of opinions )

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Christ what an aggy response.

1. 'He reminds me a little bit' was the phrase I used, not 'hes the spitting image of'. Regardless, he's a quick, tricky, wide player who takes people on, cuts in on his wing, takes shots and is happy dropping into the middle when needed as well - I'll refer you to YouTube for Izquierdo's time at Brugge if you'd like more evidence. I'd say that position-wise he's very similar to Ronaldo at United. My comparison was more around Ronaldo's early days when it was clear he had talent but wasn't very refined. I'd say the same of Izquierdo - looks like he has a lot of potential and could be very exciting.

2. We do have a lot of creative players, but we struggled to get shots on goal against Southampton - that's not contradictory, that's just what happened. Putting a clever ball through for a striker or beating a man (both of which I'd say are creative) don't always result in shots on goal. We only had 2 shots on target... I'd also say, apart from the beginning of the second half when we dominated, we struggled to create chances. However, as I said we have a lot of creativity (Knockaert, Gross, Izquierdo, March)

3. Do you actually follow Brighton? Hemed scored 2 goals, he wasn't on a streak pal and yes Murray has scored 3 in 2 (one penalty) but unless you've been living under a rock we were desperate to sign a striker in the transfer window and I'd say it's fairly widely accepted that we could do with a higher class striker than either Hemed or Murray. And that's no disrespect to either of them, I like them both and think they've done well but we need a top level striker.

You’re right, it was a aggy response to a post so full of contradictions that you sounded like the drunk guy called “Dave” down the pub that shouts the loudest but everyone know he’s so p*ssed that he’s talking out his back side.

Ronaldo’s position in his early days was as an out and out winger on the right hand side; it’s only been in his later years at Madrid that he’s truly developed into an inverted winger. Also, the moment you start using YouTube as your evidence, you’re basically making a mockery of everything you’re saying. But otherwise, your argument is sound. Except it’s not. You’ve just picked a random player and made a completely baseless comparison. Fair enough to you - maybe your mates think you’ve got cracking football talk - but if you chat rubbish, expect someone to question it.

As to the second point Dave, you’ve just said the same thing you said in the first post but with more words. Still, I’d hate to see what might happen if we get one or two of our creative players injured...

Do you follow Brighton? Because of the two of us, it was me supporting our forwards and you criticising them. As to your actual point, which (bless you) you’ve tried to develop, we could in theory do with a higher class of player in every position. That’s the nature of being a Brighton fan rather than a fan of one of the big clubs - we could always have better. As to our current need for a top class striker, it’s actually rather debatable whether that’s true *if both stay fit*. We had 7 shots in total on Sunday, one of which our striker scored. What more would a top class striker have done? Run the channels more? Brought more people into play? Magicked a goal out of their backside? As to whether our strikers have been on a streak... Murray has played just under 400 minutes and he has 3 goals (4 starts and 4 sub appearances post ankle injury). Most promoted strikers would be delighted with such a return. Admittedly, Hemed has played about 80 minutes more for one less goal but he’d got two goals and an assist in his previous 3 games... he was getting on a roll. So again, I don’t disagree with you.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Ok. but to be fair he's so far played about 35 minutes of football for us. Its not a lot to go on is it ?

Plus 76 minutes against Arsenal.

Thats's the point though. When is he going to get the game time to improve? We need someone ready and comfortable in their position to come on for those last 15/20 minutes or to replace Gross when injured/tired. He nearly cost us a couple of times yesterday by giving the ball away. I'd rather March came on in that position.

sllugaes

Dec 15, 2012
Saints will struggle without van dyke. He is the best defender I have seen at the Amex. Immense.
I know what you mean, he appeared to dictate some of their play. Although too be fair, thought we made him look very good. Stood off him, and did not get at him, and close him down. Managed to stroll around at the back with a swagger, second half we closed him, and the number 6 down quicker.

Sent from my G7-L01 using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Unfortunately, they are pinging a lot of radars at the moment. Hasn't it been great though to see the development of Dunk in particular? From the lows a few years back, to Chris coming in and taking a young, rash, slightly raw angry young man, likely to get a couple of red cards and countless needless bookings every season, to lets face it, a player who will fully deserve an England call up. He's developed year by year and is clearly getting better. A genius partnership - remember the comments when we signed Duffy, his career stagnating at Blackburn, what a signing, what a pairing!

Quite and I was one re Duffy......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lovecake

Jul 23, 2011
You’re right, it was a aggy response to a post so full of contradictions that you sounded like the drunk guy called “Dave” down the pub that shouts the loudest but everyone know he’s so p*ssed that he’s talking out his back side.

Ronaldo’s position in his early days was as an out and out winger on the right hand side; it’s only been in his later years at Madrid that he’s truly developed into an inverted winger. Also, the moment you start using YouTube as your evidence, you’re basically making a mockery of everything you’re saying. But otherwise, your argument is sound. Except it’s not. You’ve just picked a random player and made a completely baseless comparison. Fair enough to you - maybe your mates think you’ve got cracking football talk - but if you chat rubbish, expect someone to question it.

As to the second point Dave, you’ve just said the same thing you said in the first post but with more words. Still, I’d hate to see what might happen if we get one or two of our creative players injured...

Do you follow Brighton? Because of the two of us, it was me supporting our forwards and you criticising them. As to your actual point, which (bless you) you’ve tried to develop, we could in theory do with a higher class of player in every position. That’s the nature of being a Brighton fan rather than a fan of one of the big clubs - we could always have better. As to our current need for a top class striker, it’s actually rather debatable whether that’s true *if both stay fit*. We had 7 shots in total on Sunday, one of which our striker scored. What more would a top class striker have done? Run the channels more? Brought more people into play? Magicked a goal out of their backside? As to whether our strikers have been on a streak... Murray has played just under 400 minutes and he has 3 goals (4 starts and 4 sub appearances post ankle injury). Most promoted strikers would be delighted with such a return. Admittedly, Hemed has played about 80 minutes more for one less goal but he’d got two goals and an assist in his previous 3 games... he was getting on a roll. So again, I don’t disagree with you.

Haha please look at my original post and then read your completely mad response again.

1. My post was neither shouty nor outrageous and had only 1 part within it which could be possibly be construed as contradictory but which I've already explained isn't. Your mate Dave down the pub must hold relatively conservative opinions and be a great guy.
You on the other hand call Cristiano Ronaldo 'fake Ronaldo' because you're an old school football purist and you remember the Real Ronaldo and you've watched more Brighton games than I've had hot dinners? And you remember the days at the Goldstone so you police NSC for idiots like me who don't know how good we've got it, challenging our opinions because they're ridiculous and based on Youtube and social media! YOUTUBE!!

2. I wrote he reminds me 'a little bit of Ronaldo' - not he is the spitting footballing image of Ronaldo. I could have compared him to other mediocre Premiership wingers but where is the fun in that? Come to think of it Izquierdo is actually a bit like Matthew Etherington in his early days at West Ham.
He also doesn't need to remind YOU of Ronaldo - he just reminds ME of Ronaldo. A LITTLE BIT. However, as you've laboured the point in such a ridiculous manner - Izquierdo is a quick, tricky winger who likes to cut in off his wing and shoot. He is relatively unrefined but takes players on and clearly has potential. I don't think you can disagree with any of that sentence being a fair assessment of Ronaldo in his early years at United (but I'm sure you will). Now of course I could've chosen to compare him to other young wingers who were quick, skilful, attacking and unrefined but none are as memorable nor aspirational as Ronaldo. Please I beg thee forgiveness for making such a comparison. But it wasn't baseless.
Whilst on the point Ronaldo scored 40 goals in his last season at United. He wasn't an 'out and out winger' for much of his time at United.

3. Failing to see how using videos of him I've seen of YouTube is discrediting my argument. If the same video was available on Albion website or on Sky Sports would it make any difference? It's just videos of him playing football... But why let facts get in the way of your argument?

Pre-cursor to the next points:
From BBC write up on our match - 'bar the two goals, neither keeper was tested'.
From The Guardian's write up - 'Goals are the main concern for both teams. Pellegrino’s side have scored nine in 10 games, Brighton just one more. The word dour has been applied to both sides this term'

4. I've explained how what I said wasn't contradictory. We have creative players but didn't create many chances in the last game. I'm not criticising, I thought we were good, kept possession well and got a great point out of it but we didn't create many chances. There's no need to get offended over this. Creative players don't constantly create chances (apart from Gross who apparently does).

5. I haven't once criticised Hemed or Murray - read my comments - they've both done well and we're flying higher than I expected us to be but even Chris Hughton has openly said he wanted a striker. Can't understand again how you've taken such offence to this. Either way I didn't say Murray wouldn't be delighted with his return but glad we agree Hemed wasn't on a streak.

All the best,
Your mate Dave

Miximate

Aug 30, 2012
Mid Sussex
I had a feeling this thread would be interesting reading, and I wasn't wrong! Very contradictory opinions, but I would agree with what seems like the consensus, all 6s except for Dunk, Duffy, Gross and Murray who would all get a 7 from me. Stephens was very good second half after a poor first half.

I'm concerned by Propper Dave in the middle, I really don't see what he adds and I think he'll find himself on the bench when Kayal is fit enough to start. He offers nothing in attack, and no particular presence at the back. He's clearly a nice footballer, very gifted and plays a lovely pass but he's really not having an impact on the game which isn't good enough for us.

A little late to the board on this thread, but I also wonder what Propper Dave offers. I can only assume that because I don't notice him during the game, he must be doing a solid job and all that is asked of him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here