Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Was that the dullest 3-0 win ever?

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
IMHO we won which is great, but we won despite of the coached tactics not because of them! Second half was as dull as dishwater and Charlton were there for the taking but Garcia takes Lua Lua off for Jake and all attacking intent stops (yes I know in scored in death) and then the last 30 mins neither side have a meaningful shot. Charlton were poor and although great result please don't kid yourself that the second half was entertaining. Oscar proved today what a negative coach he is but he won and I guess that is the most important thing!

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
IMHO we won which is great, but we won despite of the coached tactics not because of them! Second half was as dull as dishwater and Charlton were there for the taking but Garcia takes Lua Lua off for Jake and all attacking intent stops (yes I know in scored in death) and then the last 30 mins neither side have a meaningful shot. Charlton were poor and although great result please don't kid yourself that the second half was entertaining. Oscar proved today what a negative coach he is but he won and I guess that is the most important thing!

3-0 home win = blames coach.
NSC. Priceless.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
I haven't blamed the coach, I have said we won despite him not because of him. My opinion, you have yours! Baffling substitutions!

Our first substitute scored. Calde came on because presumably Oscar felt guilty leaving him out. Baffling?
Saying we won despite him isn't exactly positive is it.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Our first substitute scored. Calde came on because presumably Oscar felt guilty leaving him out. Baffling?
Saying we won despite him isn't exactly positive is it.

No it's not positive. Why take off Lua Lua? Were we settling for 2-0 at 65 mins? Were we losing the midfield....No, but we took off our main attacking threat to defend the lead.
Did he really put Calde on (who was very harshly dropped) because he felt sorry for him? Surely Garcia isn't that weak? I may be totally wrong about the man (I hope I am) but he is so negative!

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
No it's not positive. Why take off Lua Lua? Were we settling for 2-0 at 65 mins? Were we losing the midfield....No, but we took off our main attacking threat to defend the lead.
Did he really put Calde on (who was very harshly dropped) because he felt sorry for him? Surely Garcia isn't that weak? I may be totally wrong about the man (I hope I am) but he is so negative!

Kaz was taken off because he's played five games in two weeks and is extremely susceptible to injury. Plus I think he looked pooped.
I guess we probably will never know why he brought Calde on, but that seems a logical conclusion. Seems more of a morale boost for Inigo than any weakness. The game was dead and we were cruising. He could have put Brez in midfield and it would have made no difference.

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton

I'm no expert or anything, but I think it MIGHT have something to do that Kaz was stopping every 2 mins to stretch his legs because of cramp from the start of the second half. Just a hunch mind.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Kaz was taken off because he's played five games in two weeks and is extremely susceptible to injury. Plus I think he looked pooped.
I guess we probably will never know why he brought Calde on, but that seems a logical conclusion. Seems more of a morale boost for Inigo than any weakness. The game was dead and we were cruising. He could have put Brez in midfield and it would have made no difference.

Understand what you say, just find Garcia so defensive but just my opinion (May be wrong!!). Still can't argue about the result which is what he is paid for!

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Understand what you say, just find Garcia so defensive but just my opinion (May be wrong!!). Still can't argue about the result which is what he is paid for!

He's a cautious man, for sure. But he picks the team he thinks will win the game and at the moment it's working so let's give him some credit eh? The players too of course. Four games unbeaten now.
Long may we continue with dull and easy home wins.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Who cares...at the end of the day...the records show 3 goals,3 points...I don't care how many people think it was boring. (in my opinion not) the result is what we want..some of you did not go to Gillingham....that was boring football...

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Who cares...at the end of the day...the records show 3 goals,3 points...I don't care how many people think it was boring. (in my opinion not) the result is what we want..some of you did not go to Gillingham....that was boring football...

Do you remember the Donny game in 1998? By far the worst game of football I've ever seen in the flesh. Not only boring, but completely inept load of donkeys panicking any time the ball came near them. They could have played for 24 hours straight without a goal being scored.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)

Yes I did and I agree the result is the most important thing at this stage of the season. Charlton were very poor today, can't remember Casper having a save too make, just prefer Garcia was a bit more positive, but you are right the records will show a 3-0 win!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Dullest 3-0 win ? The OP clearly wasn't at the Blackburn Rovers match at the Goldstone 25 years ago !

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

I really do not understand the criticism. I thought the line-up was an attacking one from the start. Ulloa, Lingard, kaz and march on from the start. I was half expecting a miserable draw or even worse after the highs of Leicester, but we beat comfortably a team we should be beating. Remember Mi ddlesborough!

Oscar in, in, in. I hope the rumours about him going are just that - rumours.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
We could go up this year, which will make it one of the most bizarre seasons ever, as all I read on here from pretty much every single poster at one time or another, is that our football is dull and boring or limited and unadventurous, and that points are regularly being lost because of defensive set-ups, poor individual mistakes and so on. All this seems true and yet somehow we're getting enough points to possibly get promoted.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Kaz took a heavy knock early on in the game, looked like somebody stood on his instep and was continually stopping and rubbing it so I would think taking him off was a combination of the affect of that and generally preserving him for the ext game. This game having already been won bar an unlikely turn around, So wouldnt criticize Oscar for that

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Where I sit in the WSU the atmosphere never got off the ground ..... I've seen more life in a morgue. To be honest it seems to get worse as the the season goes on. Great view, but wish I had applied for a move of seats now ???

What block? I'm sure if you rang them they d help u move btw

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Boring game, obvious we were going to win after the first goal. Charlton were without doubt the worst team I've seen at The Amex this season. Very important ,and well deserved win. but good grief, what a boring game.

I remember a game at Withers against Oldham - I would have been sat next to you - we were 3 up in about 20 mins. We knew we'd won, Oldham knew we'd won, and it was very, very boring after that. I'll take 3 points every time though.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Did he really put Calde on (who was very harshly dropped) because he felt sorry for him? Surely Garcia isn't that weak?

If he was weak he wouldn't have dropped him in the first place, but keep scratching around for the negatives.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here