Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would you take a place in the PO Final now...

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
On the whole, those saying yes will take setbacks much better than those saying no - they're more likely to be the toy throwers when we lose the odd game... Just an opinion :thumbsup:

I'd have thought it would be completely the other way around. Us yessers are throwing caution to the wind.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
My take on the actual chances are 20% automatic and 5% missing the playoffs, which suggests 38.75% chance of promotion. This broadly aligns with the best odds you can get (5/2).
38.75% does not align with 5/2. 5/2 is a 28.6% chance.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Except that it's not. We aren't close to a 25% chance of top 2. You can get 15/2 with Betfair, so less than 12% chance.

bookies odds are not an accurate guide to mathematical probabilities, they are based on the opinion of bookies and the punters, hedged (supposedly) in the bookies favour.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
bookies odds are not an accurate guide to mathematical probabilities, they are based on the opinion of bookies and the punters, hedged (supposedly) in the bookies favour.
Yes they're hedged in the bookies favour, so we should have even less chance than 12%.

And of course it's not perfectly accurate, but it's as good a guide as we get. Our chairman makes money by his team analysing all the games and odds and finding examples of where the bookies odds are not quite right, but the differences are very marginal, so like I say, the odds are as good an indication as you can get (short of having Mr Bloom's company work it out for you). And we don't have a 25% chance of finishing in the top two.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Probability wise its quite close.

The play off final would represent an approx. 50% chance of success.

The alternative is ABOUT a 25% chance of top two as things stand, but with the fall-back of a further 25% chance of play-off success.

I'd take the guaranteed play-off final if that were offered. You'd be daft not to, I think.

To back you up, we're currently 9/4 to go up. In a play off final you'd imagine we'd be somewhere around evens, maybe less to go up (taking out the draw), depending on who we were playing. So I'd bite your hand off for a guaranteed final place now.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
...or take our chances on top two?

Well?
Too many strong sides around us this season that have ambition for promotion , without a decent striker we are not going up.
New 5 year plan needed, the pundits are not ignoring us for nothing they know what they are talking about

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes they're hedged in the bookies favour, so we should have even less chance than 12%.

And of course it's not perfectly accurate, but it's as good a guide as we get. Our chairman makes money by his team analysing all the games and odds and finding examples of where the bookies odds are not quite right, but the differences are very marginal, so like I say, the odds are as good an indication as you can get (short of having Mr Bloom's company work it out for you). And we don't have a 25% chance of finishing in the top two.

Finishing in the top two? Well, we either will or we won't.........that's a fifty/fifty in my book!

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
No chance of catching Burnley

Hull have a far easier run in than us and have got their cup run behind them

So yes, 99% of me says that's the most likeley route

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
No brainer to take the play-off final option. Our strikers aren't at the races at the moment.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Assuming we do get given a place in the Play Off final, would you take a penalty shoot out if offered ...?

Feb 14, 2010
How about a winners mentality? If we finish below Burnley or Hull then we deserve to stay down. Winners win. Over to you players, are you winners or not? First is first, second acceptable because its promotion. Play offs, well win it and the players get out of jail. Lose it and they have failed. That's the bottom line. Remember palace who couldnt get anyone to watch them are Premier league FA Cup semi finalists. Lower league failure is, no matter how you dress it up, just lower league failure. How a club who get 25000 in the lower leagues accepts this is just absurd.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here