Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Andre Gray

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I've mentioned before on previous posts, as we are a club that are in the spotlight for receiving lots of homophobic chanting, the fact that we regualrly criticise opposition fans for it, the fact the albion as a club support anti homophobic campaigns, signing a player who has been openly homophobic in the past seems completely at odds with this. He may have apologized, he may have grown up since then, good for him, but still don't want him at my club.
If he had signed and was truly apologetic for his remarks, then wouldn't it be a redemptive thing him being at the club? He could show his contrition by acting positively towards gay people. Or are we of the view that we should shun everyone for good if they have in the past held views we find intolerable?

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
Do you know who Dyche is after?

Rumour has it that Craig Dawson (West Brom) is Dyche's first choice - nearly signed him in summer of 2014, but Burnley were too tight (same as the Stephens saga with a succession of low bids before meeting asking price too late).

Dyche is a big fan of WBA and defender set piece goals (the Baggies and Dawson are probably the best in the PL for defender set-piece goals).

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I've mentioned before on previous posts, as we are a club that are in the spotlight for receiving lots of homophobic chanting, the fact that we regualrly criticise opposition fans for it, the fact the albion as a club support anti homophobic campaigns, signing a player who has been openly homophobic in the past seems completely at odds with this. He may have apologized, he may have grown up since then, good for him, but still don't want him at my club.

Irrelevant now, saving NSC from the great moral dilemma of the century.

Instead, he'll be tucking away winners for Watford or playing in Deeney.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
If he had signed and was truly apologetic for his remarks, then wouldn't it be a redemptive thing him being at the club? He could show his contrition by acting positively towards gay people. Or are we of the view that we should shun everyone for good if they have in the past held views we find intolerable?

Like I said, if he's sorry then good for him. But I think it would be a backwards step for the club and rightly leave us open to anyone who wanted to call us hypocrites. The club has worked hard to show it won't stand for homophobia and this would regardless of whether he was apologetic, undo that work. There are things that are more important than football, and personally I'm proud that the club makes it clear where it stands. If we believe that homophobia has no place in football then we have to stand by our convictions and not make excuses for people because it suits us.

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
Apart from not wanting Gray because of his homophobic tweets, isn't the asking price of £18.5 million a little out of Brighton's range? Watford obviously don't mind paying nearly £20 million for a player with only one year left on his contract.

The BBC figure is correct according to your equivalent of Andy Naylor....Sky's figure of £11.5 incorrect.

If Gray is Deeney's replacement, god help Watford - they'll be even weaker up front than they were last season.

James Bond's body double

Nov 1, 2009
Southwick
from Sky:

Sky Sports News understands Brentford are owed 27.5 per cent of any fee in excess £9.75m that Burnley receive if Andre Gray is sold.

We also understand Luton Town are entitled to 15 per cent of that in turn.

It means if Watford sign Gray for £18m, Brentford stand to make £2.27m minus £340,500 Luton are eligible for.

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
Burnley not looking good for survival this season, good for us though
Barton,Keane and now Gray on way out
Also looked at their fixture list, their first 5 aways are
Chelsea
Liverpool
Arsenal
Man City
Spurs

Could be a blessing in disguise getting the most difficult away fixtures out of the way first - from the corresponding fixtures last season we got ZERO points so can hardly do worse except for GOAL DIFFERENCE

Last season: Chelsea 0-3, Spurs 1-2, Liverpool 1-2, Man City 1-2, Arsenal 1-2.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I can't see us going for him, but if we did I think he'd simply have to release a statement about how his life was then and how far he's come etc, which would end the issue.

In fairness this all came to the fore after he scored in the win against Liverpool when the scousers kicked off and dragged up his history of being an ********s. I found his response both in the written press and particularly in radio interviews sincerely contrite.
Maybe I'm a mug but in his radio interview he seemed to be very genuine about his shame and grateful that he'd grown up and put that vile nonsense behind him. I was genuinely impressed.
Decent player.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I found his response both in the written press and particularly in radio interviews sincerely contrite.
I didn't hear them, I'll take your word for it. If he hadn't changed his opinion and behaviour since the comments, of course we wouldn't consider him. If he had and we were though, I think it would be easier enough to repeat his apology for his past mistakes.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I didn't hear them, I'll take your word for it. If he hadn't changed his opinion and behaviour since the comments, of course we wouldn't consider him. If he had and we were though, I think it would be easier enough to repeat his apology for his past mistakes.

Absolutely, and if he ended up here and reiterated his penitence I'd hope that would be the end of it.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
I think Burnley could struggle big time this season. Wouldn't surprise me at all if Dyche quits soon.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
He cost them £9m, why would they sell for less than £15-20m even if he is refusing to sign.

Isn't he out of contract June 2018 ?

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Sense Burnley arnt too happy with him!

This reference to his international career made me chuckle:

'However, the former England C international made it clear he would not be looking to renew a deal which had just 12 months still to run'

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The Burnley statement is ace ! 'The former England C international' !!

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I think Burnley could struggle big time this season. Wouldn't surprise me at all if Dyche quits soon.

Their signings of Jon Walters, Phil Bardsley and Jack Cork aren't the MOST inspiring ever.

They MUST have the most british players in the prem. Surely.

Just checked. 21 of their 25 man squad are British and Irish. It's quite refreshing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here