Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Uber Brighton

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Taxi prices have risen year on year. I've never known a year when they have not increased. Even when the price of fuel, the cost of vehicles and the cost of finance have been falling.

Can't speak for all councils, but Adur District Council prices have not increased since 2008

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Couple this with the fact that the Uber model should mean less unproductive time and 'dead' mileage, I suggest an Uber Driver today could be more profitable that a cab/taxi driver was in the past, even with the lower pricing.

But it's not profitable, that's the point. Did you read the article? Uber trips are subsidised by the investors at the moment - they're really not going to do that for ever. If they don't knock cabs out of the water in the next couple of years, Uber is toast. It's going to be a race to see who cracks first.

geoff2021

Jun 22, 2009
if you were a cabbie then you must know that all taxis in brighton and hove wether hackney or PH use a price set by the hackney office and display charges tariff inside taxi plus there has been no price increase for approx 3 yrs.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Taxi prices are set by the local authority. Cab companies (private hire, 595959, 204060 etc) can charge whatever they like, but they choose to mirror the high cab prices. Brighton and Adur are the exception to the rule of doing this. Even Worthing Private Hire cabs are quite a bit cheaper than a Hackney (Taxi)

The Uber model ideally has less dead time and dead mileage (in other words you should pick up closer to the drop off) so this would lower costs.

Also, where a Private Hire company typically charges weekly 'dues' ( It was £90pw when I was a cabbie 10 years ago, sos suspect £120+ now but no idea) with Ubder the driver just needs to log on for 1 hour a month. The fees are 25% so much much less for part time workers

You seem to be deliberately ignoring the posts farther up the thread.. :shootself

Not that far up, there's a vid/link to Uber drivers working for less than minimum wage, working excessive hours, and being subsidised by you and me to top up their meagre take home wages.
AND having to do these hours as they get logged out and dont get shown for jobs.

Apart from that, you've done quite well..! :wink:

geoff2021

Jun 22, 2009
Cab companies (private hire, 595959, 204060 etc) can charge whatever they like, but they choose to mirror the high cab prices. Brighton and Adur are the exception to the rule of doing this
arent 204060 a brighton operator under the rules of B+H Hackney office rules ie blue book ??

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Uber will be offering free rides for new and existing users on Christmas Eve to make sure everyone makes it home in time for the festivities.

From 4 pm to 12 am on Saturday, you’ll be able to order the free uberX to take you home for up to £15.

The exclusive offer comes as Budweiser joined forces with Uber to ensure people get home safely this Christmas.

https://www.budweiser.co.uk/age-gate?return_url=/get-home-safe

TNBA

TTF

Just thought I'd give this a bounce and see if people are using Uber and how they are getting on.

Since the last post on this thread I have all but given up using regular cab companies or taxi firms.

I have taken over 50 Uber trips in 5 different cities in the UK and in 6 different countries. I reckon I have saved over £300 already this year. I've actually saved more as I've had numerous free rides by recomending others to Uber.

I must say that having the full driver profile and of their car in your pocket before, during and after the trip is very reassuring.

It really has come into it's own when away from home. It's great not having to look up a local cab number when travelling and avoids any language barriers or over charging taxis when abroad. Try calling a cab in Thailand and explain which street your waiting on! These problems are a thing of the past.

Uber gets a big thumbs up from me.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Just thought I'd give this a bounce and see if people are using Uber and how they are getting on.

Since the last post on this thread I have all but given up using regular cab companies or taxi firms.

I have taken over 50 Uber trips in 5 different cities in the UK and in 6 different countries. I reckon I have saved over £300 already this year. I've actually saved more as I've had numerous free rides by recomending others to Uber.

I must say that having the full driver profile and of their car in your pocket before, during and after the trip is very reassuring.

It really has come into it's own when away from home. It's great not having to look up a local cab number when travelling and avoids any language barriers or over charging taxis when abroad. Try calling a cab in Thailand and explain which street your waiting on! These problems are a thing of the past.

How are you enjoying driving for Uber?

mylesfdo

Jan 25, 2015

Ive had couple quotes down here and seems to be same sort of price!!

Call cab in Thailand? I usually just jump in the nearest TukTuk or find a cab on the street unless obv Im in middle of fking nowhere but then Ive usually planned transport ahead!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Still a life saver for Brighton to Worthing. I think Uber has actually encouraged me to spend more on beer in Brighton based on price and availability of a taxi back to Worthing, rather than a rank cab.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004

All of this. Tech + sensible pricing makes for good competition.

mickybha

Jan 2, 2010
Are you able to check they have the necessary hire and reward insurance in Brighton and Hove one seized by police recently for no insurance at all according to the Argus

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I still stand by previous assertions and prefer to not use them.

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
App simply won't accept any of my entirely valid payment options, cards and PayPal all stated as invalid. Got my only Uber at a wedding in Windsor, and the chap got lost, we only made it on time as I insisted he listened to my directions. So pretty crap experiences for me.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
They have nothing on me at all. I'm not a driver for them although in a different place/circumstances I sure would not rule it out.

I'm glad I'm clean shaven as I think my beard may be a little itchy.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
All of this. Tech + sensible pricing makes for good competition.

Same applies to DOO and privatized railways?

I had you down as more left leaning than this.....uber is as capitalist as can be, under cut wages, deregulate, race to the bottom, no such thing as society only your immediate pocket

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I still stand by previous assertions and prefer to not use them.

But You could save 300 quid over a mere fifty cab rides

If I am getting cabs I usually have pissed money up a wall needlessly anyway worrying about the cab fare is a footnote of wastefulness at that point

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Brilliant service and always use them when I need a cab. Really not sure what people's issues are with them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here