Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Should Chris Hughton be given a full season even it it means relegation ?

Should Chris be given a full season ?

• Yes

Votes: 321 87.2%
  • Unsure

Votes: 27 7.3%
  • No

Votes: 20 5.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Why would anybody even think about wanting to get rid of Hughton? One of the best managers we've ever had. I appreciate fans wanting to see attacking football but we need to also think back to the last time we were in the top flight and sacked a manager for playing defensive football, that done us a hell of a lot of good.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Right now I think ti would be crazy to sack Chris. However, if we lose 6 in a row for example there may not be a choice as its a result business.

My overall feeling is that he's done us a great job to get here but i think if we want to continue moving forward at some time he is going to have to be replaced.I just don't have confidence in his ability to develop much further than we are now but I could be wrong.... and I hope I am. I think he got the tactics all wrong yesterday.

It may sound daft but if we go down we should keep him. If we stay up we might need to let him go to avoid a repeat of this season.

patcham seagulls

Jul 9, 2003
patcham
Mr Bloom is engaged in a longer term project than just this season. The academy has been created to join up our youth and development squads with that of the first team. One also doesn't imagine that we will have signed anybody on wages that will leave us in trouble should we be relegated. We are hugely fortunate to have a chairman that cares passionately about the club and is creating an infrastructure that will create firm foundations for years to come and long term stability is part of that. Chris hasn't become a bad manager overnight and is working as best he can with resources that, while much improved, are still dwarfed by established PL teams. I'm optimistic that we will remain competitive in the championship should we go down this season and that Chris will still be at the helm.

I agree with most of this tbh, my only reservation is CH's very pragmatic approach.

Looking at Norwich City's fans forum a couple of years back, quite a few supporters voiced very similar comments to the grumblings currently on here.

I vividly remember against Wolves last season (bhafc dominated for 75 mins) CH made some defensive substitutions which resulted in a number of successive corners and numerous near misses against us in injury time. Somehow we held on for a 1-0 win, and at that point remained top of the Championship.

This isn't a criticism, it's an observation that this is how CH operates and he is unlikely to change.

Besides all this he comes across as a sincere and decent guy, which are probably far more important characteristics. I'd keep him for those reasons alone, wherever we finish up.

patalan48

Mar 5, 2017
“Premier league ready” was an exciting catch phrase and I think that the majority of fans believe Chris Hughton is still the man for this task. However, questions need to be raised about the players and coaching structure. It would appear that the manager has recruited loyal as opposed to a premiership ready Assistant Manager and First Team Coach. Both Trollope and Nevin have very thin resumes, when it comes to Premier League football. For example, should they still be in the job, given their inability to organize players to defend corners or introduce more creative and adaptive tactics. Everybody said that the players should given a chance and the salary to match when promoted to the Premier League However, after watching every game this season, some players are not ready in terms of talent, but could be helped with more skillful coaching, increased speed and endurance. I do not know whether this is already occurring, but two a day coaching session such as those used at Liverpool and Tottenham might help them become closer to Premier League ready.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Maybe he has reached his own personal 'ceiling' .

I believe he has. I will be forever grateful to him for getting us out of the lower reaches of the Championship and in to the PL but I am baffled at some of his team selections and tactics. Dropping Schelotto on Saturday bemused me. Why do that when the guy has proven he deserves the shirt? Blind loyalty to Bruno and Knocky will not win us games.

Going defensive against the big boys and trying to earn a respectable score? Guess what, that doesn't get you any points. Let's see what he does on Saturday. I really hope he takes the game to Chelsea. See what happened when we done that at Man Utd? We should have got something from that and only a deflected shot lost us the game.

My two mates spoke with Murray after the game and he said Jose was taken off because 'tactics weren't working'. Words fail me on that.

So many draws this season where we should have won. But go 1-0 up and we frustratingly try to hang on to that.

I can't bring myself to say 'Hughton out' but two things; I wouldn't be unhappy to see him leave. But more importantly, I want to see him change his mindset NOW. Starting with Chelsea on Saturday.

Peter Ward

Dec 5, 2014
out back
Can anyone seriously suggest any replacement candidates to Chris Hughton who would be more likely to be successful with the cards he has been dealt?? Guardiola perhaps and that's it.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Can anyone seriously suggest any replacement candidates to Chris Hughton

You probably wouldn't have offered Hughton as a choice before he got the nod.

Nathan Jones springs to mind for me.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Comprehensive result.
He is the very best person we could have to keep us up this year and I'd have kept him on even if we'd been bottom today.

You'd have to be thick as shit to think he should be replaced at this point.
[MENTION=578]portslade seagull[/MENTION] had it right on the first page.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
You'd have to be thick as shit to think he should be replaced at this point.

Why do those who think Hughton is the best man for the job have to resort to hurling childish insults at those who think he MAY not be up to taking us on.

Keep it to a reasoned debate please! It's really not a matter of life and death.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I find it intriguing that there are a group of football coaches around who are great at getting teams promoted, but then can't keep the team up once they have reached that point.
There could be a case for changing coach at the end of last season and appointing a proven stayer for this one and letting them get the players they want over the season break.
Just a thought.
Maybe they should have stayed with the same tactics that won them the promotion before the season had ended, if it ain't broke.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Why do those who think Hughton is the best man for the job have to resort to hurling childish insults at those who think he MAY not be up to taking us on.

Keep it to a reasoned debate please! It's really not a matter of life and death.

We must stamp our superiority all over your faces.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here