Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Away game at Dean Court, mid 90s..

KLUNK

Mar 30, 2010
East Sussex
Ok, this is a bit random, but my mate is trying to work out when his 1st Albion game(away) was. His memory is probably worse than mine. It was mid 90's away to Bournemouth, but I went to virtually all games at Dean Court back then. Narrowed it down to a few games, November 93(lost 4/2 in Fa cup), Feb 95(won 3/0) & Sept 95(lost 3/1). What he does recall, was it absolutely chucked it down with rain big-style! Does anyone recall getting soaked at Bournemouth around then? Sorry for the sad question. Not expecting too many replies, just grief...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Ok, this is a bit random, but my mate is trying to work out when his 1st Albion game(away) was. His memory is probably worse than mine. It was mid 90's away to Bournemouth, but I went to virtually all games at Dean Court back then. Narrowed it down to a few games, November 93(lost 4/2 in Fa cup), Feb 95(won 3/0) & Sept 95(lost 3/1). What he does recall, was it absolutely chucked it down with rain big-style! Does anyone recall getting soaked at Bournemouth around then? Sorry for the sad question. Not expecting too many replies, just grief...

Very much so, yes.

It lashed down for the entire first half, stopped at half-time, and then started again when the players came out again.

I was there with @Papa Lazarou and his Dad.

I believe we won 3-0 with Junior McDougald getting at least one.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Definitely remember that game. The Liam Brady era.

It was so wet the keeper dived on a ball 5 yards inside his own box and then slid all the way out of it, conceeding a free kick.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1

I seem to remember getting absolutely soaked and losing, I think it was the FA cup game in 93.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Very much so, yes.

It lashed down for the entire first half, stopped at half-time, and then started again when the players came out again.

I was there with @Papa Lazarou and his Dad.

I believe we won 3-0 with Junior McDougald getting at least one.

It also lashed it down during the FA Cup match. I think we may have scored in the first minute.

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
If it was the game when it absolutely lashed it down, then that was a 3-0 victory for us.
I was in the seats that day, and it absolutely lashed it down all day, only stopping at the final whistle.
It was a funny feeling seeing us win then walking back to the station in th dry.

KLUNK

Mar 30, 2010
East Sussex
Thanks guys. Appears it pissed it down in both those games! Eliminates one game though. Gun to the head, I think it's the 3/0 win. Long time ago now, happy memories, despite the dark period which followed..

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
That cup game was the wettest i've ever been at football even wetter tban i was at withdean when we lost 2-0 to sheff weds in fact i was lots.wetter my clothes where all wet right through to the skin.

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
I remember that game. Soaked to the bone!
Seemed to remember Stuart Tuck playing left back - we were standing on the left corner of the terrace.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I'm sure we played them in the JP Trophy or whatever it was back then, silky Dave Cameron was playing (badly). I don't remember the score but know I went in the back of a mini bus with [MENTION=21293]5mins-from-amex[/MENTION]

Edit. This game must have been 99-00

Jul 7, 2003
Drove down to that 3-0 game - managed to just keep BBC Sussex (or whatever it was called back then) on the radio and they kept saying that the game was unlikely to go ahead. Parked up in the car park at Dean Court and got their local radio coverage. I think it was only about 2:45 that they finally confirmed the game would go ahead.

Junior's goal was textbook flooded pitch play - long hoof forward over the defence that stuck in a puddle and made use of his pace to run past them to score.

I'm sure we played them in the JP Trophy or whatever it was back then, silky Dave Cameron was playing (badly). I don't remember the score but know I went in the back of a mini bus with [MENTION=21293]5mins-from-amex[/MENTION]

Edit. This game must have been 99-00

That must have been our record score. How come I don't remember it?

Jan 30, 2008
yes ,it kicked off at half time with Brighton climbing over the fences then forcing a gate open, SOGGY TRIP BACK TO BRIGHTON ON THE TRAIN
regards
DR

Jan 30, 2008
that cup game was the wettest i've ever been at football even wetter tban i was at withdean when we lost 2-0 to sheff weds in fact i was lots.wetter my clothes where all wet right through to the skin.
rain drops keep falling on my head :lolol:
regards
DR

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Yes definitely Feb 95.A comprehensive thrashing of Bournemouth 3.0 in heavy rain and the muddiest pitch I've ever seen.
McDougald scored 1 and Minton got the other 2

mooey

Mar 30, 2012
I went to the fa cup game but I thought it was jan 94 andy kenndy scored and I think kurt nogan got one that was my first away game and it pissed it down it might have been the end of 93.also got a penalty fair 10quid fine which seemed like a lot of money loved it though.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
At the 3-0 after the second or third goal, we jumped up to celebrate and the advertising hoarding fell over with my mate leaning on it. You can see him on the highlights in his cagoule scrambling in the mud as Minton (I think) runs away to celebrate.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here