Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton need returns from big buys

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
It’s not a coincidence we camped in the opposition half when CH finally decided to give Locadia and Andone a few minutes give them 30 minutes and we probably would of won. Our managers bottle has completely gone sad to see after the waves of attack in the championship.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Compare it to last year when we had Gross Propper and Ryan who'd come in and settled into the starting eleven

Some rose-tinted glasses on display: there were plenty of people on here slagging off all three of them after the games against City and Leicester.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It’s not a coincidence we camped in the opposition half when CH finally decided to give Locadia and Andone a few minutes give them 30 minutes and we probably would of won. Our managers bottle has completely gone sad to see after the waves of attack in the championship.

Nothing to do with them having settled for the point and completely sitting back after they equalised then.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
I echo previous comments that the game tomorrow is the perfect time to start Andone. Been really impressed so far with the little I've seen, he shows real fight and pace, not had the chance to see his finishing ability yet as can't recall a chance he's had in his fleeting appearances.

With Huddersfield likely to be pressing us high, the last thing we need is no pace upfront as an outlet. Really hoping CH gives him a chance..

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
The PL is a tough league and if CH has no need to “throw” players in for the sake of it, I think it’s OK to ease them in gradually. I think through December and January due to the number of games, you will see more squad rotation and these players will be given their chance.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Some rose-tinted glasses on display: there were plenty of people on here slagging off all three of them after the games against City and Leicester.

You're missing the point, last year we had three signings who came straight into the team and improved it, and were very quickly in the first choice eleven. That was going to be harder to do this year given the comparative strengths of the squads but none of the signings we made in the summer has forced their way to being an automatic choice and quite frankly none of them look close to doing so.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
You're missing the point, last year we had three signings who came straight into the team and improved it, and were very quickly in the first choice eleven.

Because they were replacing Championship players not PL ones (and, in Ryan's case, stepping into vacancy). The new set of players would clearly have a tougher task.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
You're missing the point, last year we had three signings who came straight into the team and improved it, and were very quickly in the first choice eleven. That was going to be harder to do this year given the comparative strengths of the squads but none of the signings we made in the summer has forced their way to being an automatic choice and quite frankly none of them look close to doing so.

Just thinking back to last season was everyone convinced of the strengths of Propper and Gross by this point? Maybe Gross, but recall many grumbles about Propper.

I think with the staccato nature of the beginning third of the season (due to international breaks alongside getting fitness levels up to PL requirements), it is tricky for new players to get any kind of momentum to their performances and therefore the consistency required to gain recognition.

Hoping for better things from some of these guys if they get a run in the team - hopefully at least Bernardo and Andone. Ali J when he's back from injury as well.

Not convinced by Bissouma, but can see he has potential if tamed a little, and gets some more physical strength.

Codner pharmaceuticals

Jun 17, 2009
Border Country
It’s not about having marquee players and getting a return from them. It’s improving our depth and median quality which we have done - and I suspect will continue to do.

We’ll leave it to the Croydon Clowns to blow everything on “big” signings and then expect everything from them.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
It’s not about having marquee players and getting a return from them. It’s improving our depth and median quality which we have done - and I suspect will continue to do.

We’ll leave it to the Croydon Clowns to blow everything on “big” signings and then expect everything from them.

No one has said that, it is being said the players brought in this summer have yet to make any real impact so far. Hopefully not because they’re all not good enough, time will tell.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Not sure the article is particularly insightful - new recruits have played a minor part this year. I think Balogun may have made an impact despite not playing very much because I think Duffy has improved this season.. I still feel our squad is stronger and therefore more resilient than last season despite the lack of impact right now, and the fact that the team has done OK points wise means CH can push them to perform rather than wait for them. The tantalising possibility of the impact they can have is still there.. don't agree with the hint of desperation that I read in the article : if the next 13 games deliver similar return to the first 13, I will be pretty happy I think..

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Bissouma - promising but inexperienced
Balogun - looked excellent, agree with [MENTION=25249]Milano[/MENTION]
Andone - promising, needs a proper run in the team at some point
Locadia - jury still out for me
Montoya - solid but we look better when Bruno is playing
Bernardo - thought he looked very good last week
Ali J - not seen the best of him yet

None of the above have had a solid run of games to be able to fully prove their worth IMO

Your final sentence is the only important one, none of us will ever know how good, (or otherwise), these new signings are, until/unless they are given a proper run in the tam. How can anyone say Andone, Balogun etc. show the most promise when they have barely even kicked a ball for the first team?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We've got the squad, and no doubt we improved the squad very expensively over the summer. However, what is needed now is to improve the team, not the squad and our record signings have not done that, not yet anyway.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Your final sentence is the only important one, none of us will ever know how good, (or otherwise), these new signings are, until/unless they are given a proper run in the tam. How can anyone say Andone, Balogun etc. show the most promise when they have barely even kicked a ball for the first team?

It's relative for me - Andone clearly has pace and strength, makes good runs and is able to hold the ball up Murray-style, so good signs. Balogun had an excellent game when he was in for Dunk, Bernardo similarly last week (accepting he was lost when he stepped in at right back). They're just views on limited evidence so far, will no doubt be adjusted as they get more game time.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Both players and manager are to blame. And somewhere along the line it’s got to be Theresa Mays fault too. Tories OUT!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here