Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 'One-shot' penalties and deliberate handball.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
A Sky Sports report

One-shot' penalties, new handball rules, limited substitutions in injury-time - what laws should be changed in football?

The International FA Board (IFAB) - the body that determines the laws of football - is meeting this week to consider potential changes and debating whether or not to take proposals to their Annual Meeting in March.

Among the reported changes up for discussion are 'one-shot' penalties and clarification for handballs.

Potential changes

One-shot' penalties - the ball is 'dead' if it is saved or hits the post from a penalty

Handball - Players will be penalised for arm or hand movement towards the ball

Limited subs - Managers only able to make limited amount of changes, or none, in injury-time

Closer subs - Substitutes would walk off nearest touchline rather than to technical area

I can see some pro's and con's, but could be a good idea if it speeds the game up, instead of letting time wasters prosper!

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
My proposal:

Cut the Achilles tendons of persistant divers.

Before people accuse me of being unduly abusive, I'm obviously advocating carrying this out under local anaesthetic. Obvs.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
The one I would like is to more heavily penalise the 'taking one for the team' foul, often by pulling back or tripping a player on the break.

The referee has already decided it was a foul, and booked the player. The resultant free-kick should be allowed to be taken from anywhere outside the penalty area.

This would remove much of the advantage gained by making the cynical foul, giving the attacking side a decent chance to score from the resultant free kick.

Last edited:

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Completely and unreservedly agree with closer subs.

I'd add goalkicks to be taken from the side of the box the ball went out. I know Ryan does it but it hacks me right off watching a keeper rut up the pitch, pick the ball up, slowly walk the ball to the other side of the box, rut up the pitch, place the ball, pick it up again, do some more amateur groundskeeping and then finally take the f**king kick.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Any player on the floor holding their head should be taken off the pitch immediately and stay off for the remainder of the game to watch for concussion.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex

I'd add goalkicks to be taken from the side of the box the ball went out. I know Ryan does it but it hacks me right off watching a keeper rut up the pitch, pick the ball up, slowly walk the ball to the other side of the box, rut up the pitch, place the ball, pick it up again, do some more amateur groundskeeping and then finally take the f**king kick.

Law 1 covers this..A player who makes unauthorised marks on the field of play must be cautioned for unsporting behaviour. If the referee notices this being done during the match, the player is cautioned when the ball next goes out of play.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Law 1 covers this..A player who makes unauthorised marks on the field of play must be cautioned for unsporting behaviour. If the referee notices this being done during the match, the player is cautioned when the ball next goes out of play.

Interesting. I didn't know that.

I don't recall ever seeing a ref do anything about it though.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
One-shot' penalties - the ball is 'dead' if it is saved or hits the post from a penalty

Stops the stupid pushing and shoving on the edge of the box, and encroachment (which they never penalise anyway). but doesn't prevent the ridiculous delaying tactics, arguing with the ref, standing over the penalty spot, etc... which is the thing that really riles me.

Closer subs - Substitutes would walk off nearest touchline rather than to technical area

I can see problems with players in full playing kit wandering around the outside of the pitch... not sure this is a good idea.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
The problem i can see with that is when a player moves their arms up to try to cover their face as a shot is hit, the motion of their arms could be interpreted as moving them towards the ball, rather than trying to prevent them being struck in the face by the ball, so would / should that be given as handball?

Secondly, what if the arms is moving forward, and the attacker sees this and strikes the ball so that it hits that moving arm from very close by, (currently ball to hand with little or no reaction time) wouldn't that become an offense under this rule as something that should be penalised,even if there was no intention of hand ball by the defending player

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Self-pass rule to be adopted from hockey. A player does not have to pass or shoot from a free kick. Instead (as long as the ball is dead and not rolling), if he chooses to he can just start running / dribbling with the ball.

I see NO downsides to this, but plenty of upsides.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Stops the stupid pushing and shoving on the edge of the box, and encroachment (which they never penalise anyway). but doesn't prevent the ridiculous delaying tactics, arguing with the ref, standing over the penalty spot, etc... which is the thing that really riles me.

I can see problems with players in full playing kit wandering around the outside of the pitch... not sure this is a good idea.

After the penalty is given, keeper has 10 seconds to get in position - second whistle after those 10 seconds and striker can take the kick, with a max of a further 20 seconds. Anyone else in the box after the first 10 seconds is carded.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

Limited subs - Managers only able to make limited amount of changes, or none, in injury-time

Penalties - Stupid idea, we would never have had the exhilaration at Stoke last season, as the ball would have been dead as soon as Ryan block the penalty.

Handball - Isn't this what referees are already doing anyway

Limited Subs - Pointless and what happens if a player is actually injured. So the law is changed to stop substitutions in stoppage time, what do the law makers think will be the knock on effect, nothing? They must be clueless if they think this,. I would fully expect 85th minute sub 1 87th minute sub 2 89th minute sub 3

Closer subs - Good in principle, but no doubt rather than making sure the player to be substituted is close to the far touchline, the player to be taken off will ensure they are close to the centre spot, and then ensure that they walk even slower than previously. Also if they do remove themselves from play by walking off by the nearest touchline, are they then not potentially causing issues with offside as they slowly walk around the pitch.

Just leave the laws as they currently are

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

I've played in goal for about 20 years - maybe 500 or so games, and have always been aware of the rule. I know because in EVERY* one of those matches, within two minutes of the start of each half, I've marked out my area - two scuffed lines, in line with each post - one on the six yard line, and one in line with the penalty spot (don't need them on the edge of the box, as the intersections of the 'D' do the job). Helps massively with keeping your bearings / knowing exactly where your posts are, behind you.

In those 500 games, ONE ref, has spotted it, and given me a talking to, and threatened to book me if I did it again.

(One other ref actually did spot the lines half way through a game, and asked me if I'd made them. :shrug: no idea how that happened mate :whistle: )

*including the REMF game at the Amex. Apologies to the ground-staff...

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

You may have to off back to the 70s or 80s and i have seen keepers carded for making the pitch. Seem to recall Graham Moseley (?) was once for marking the centre of the goal on the six yard line, and I'm sure the likes of Shilton and Clemence were also.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

Good point.

How about faster subs? Once your number is up on the board you've got 10 seconds to get to the touchline. Instant booking for not getting there in time. Absolutely no reason, unless coming off injured, that a player who's been pelting around a pitch for 70 minutes suddenly cannot run.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
BTW, I like the IFAB a lot.

For those that don't know, it's made up of five parties:

The FA
The Scottish Football Association
The Football Association of Wales
Northern Ireland's Irish Football Association
FIFA

The first four each have one vote and FIFA has four votes. Any given change can only be made if 6 votes are received. As such, FIFA can't change the rules of football without our (collective) say so.

So, football is still our ball and we choose how people play with it!

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

That used to the be the law, but it was changed to speed up the game

I've played in goal for about 20 years - maybe 500 or so games, and have always been aware of the rule. I know because in EVERY* one of those matches, within two minutes of the start of each half, I've marked out my area - two scuffed lines, in line with each post - one on the six yard line, and one in line with the penalty spot (don't need them on the edge of the box, as the intersections of the 'D' do the job). Helps massively with keeping your bearings / knowing exactly where your posts are, behind you.

In those 500 games, ONE ref, has spotted it, and given me a talking to, and threatened to book me if I did it again.

(One other ref actually did spot the lines half way through a game, and asked me if I'd made them. :shrug: no idea how that happened mate :whistle: )

*including the REMF game at the Amex. Apologies to the ground-staff...

Yep, played in goal for quite a few years Saturday afternoons and always did exactly the same thing, not once did a Ref speak to me.

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck

This. It's drives me loopy too.

I think the change came in at the same time as the 'no picking up the ball from backpasses rule' which was supposed to lead to the game speeding up, but all it's done is given 'keepers a different opportunity to time-waste.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here