• FA trying to make amends too late

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • Don't support it/don't care

Votes: 5 13.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dandyman

In London village.
The FA is marking the 25th anniversary of the Hillsborough disaster by delaying the kick-offs of all Premier League, Football League and Conference matches by seven minutes, with the same procedure being followed in both the FA Cup semi-finals at Wembley.

Arsenal's tie with Wigan Athletic will now kick off at the national stadium at 5.07pm on Saturday 12 April, while Hull City v Sheffield United will begin there at 4.07pm the following day. A minute's silence will be held at these games and at all league matches from Friday 11 to Monday 14 April in the final minute before the delayed kick-offs.

The FA Cup semi-final on 15 April 1989 between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest, when 96 fans lost their lives, was ended six minutes after kick-off because of the crush in Hillsborough's Leppings Lane End.

What thinks NSC? (multiple choice voting allowed)

Dandyman

In London village.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Of course I'll stand silent and contemplate for the minute, and show the 96 souls the respect they deserve. That doesn't mean I support that they are doing it at all though. I still find it odd that the anniversaries of Hillsborough are given such attention, and we hear nothing of Valley Parade, Hampden, Heysel.

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
Would prefer anything but silence, as that only gives hateful morons from the likes of Chelsea and the odd fan at other clubs, the chance to spoil it.

Applause would seem wrong, but how about a few choruses of "You'll Never Walk Alone"? Used to be great on the old North Stand, and would hopefully drown out the few morons.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Of course I'll stand silent and contemplate for the minute, and show the 96 souls the respect they deserve. That doesn't mean I support that they are doing it at all though. I still find it odd that the anniversaries of Hillsborough are given such attention, and we hear nothing of Valley Parade, Hampden, Heysel.

Bradford should probably get a little more attention, true. Heysel is usually after the season end. I may sound a little naive but Hampden?
Lets face it, Hillsborough is the biggest football tragedy in the UK, with over 20 years of cover ups by the police and government. We should always remember.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I don't think there will be any morons on this one.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

Good call.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

Probably because the innocent victims were portrayed by the police and sections of the government & press as architects of their own demise and their families & friends have suffered the exquisite anguish of a 25 year struggle to absolve them of any blame.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Sorry, meant Ibrox.
Surely it's up to the Scottish FA to decide what to do about Ibrox, although I do agree it should be remembered, and Bradford as well. I also think that what the FA has arranged for Hillsborough is appropriate, although I think I prefer
[MENTION=2194]Oxy McFloppie-Tish[/MENTION]'s suggestion of a few bars of 'You'll Never Walk Alone'.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Surely it's up to the Scottish FA to decide what to do about Ibrox, although I do agree it should be remembered, and Bradford as well. I also think that what the FA has arranged for Hillsborough is appropriate

The first Ibrox disaster (25 souls) was at a game v England, so still relevant to our FA (the bigger one was an old firm match).

I'm not saying that what the FA are doing is inappropriate. Just that it is repeatedly highlighted, whilst other, equally tragic events are all but forgotten. That's all.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here