Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Kyle Edmund - Ozzie Open Semi Finalist!!

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Incredible to beat Grigor Dimitrov. I thought he'd stop his incredible run. His interviews seem down-to-earth and he's a YORKSHIREMAN. :) Honestly, he can go on and win the tournament now.

Good to see Rafa and Cilic slugging it out in a long quarter-final. Nadal's not getting any younger. Cilic's temperament can let him down at times.

Whatever happens from now on in, well done Kyle. :clap:

Andy who?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Cheered me up well done son.
Apparently Andy Murray has been helping him as he does for all British Tennis Players.

yeah but he once said something as a joke in an offhand comment so i now HATE HIM FOR ALL ETERNITY.

Sorry, just wanted to see what it felt like being one of "those" people.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Always had massive respect for Andy Murray and the way he's conducted himself off-court with all the pressure he's had for years, especially at Wimbledon. :thumbsup:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
So he is half Welsh half Zimbabwean and grew up in Yorkshire (not that that is relevant) hope he does well

his mum is a saffa isnt she?

we need to keep finding saffies to fill our sporting teams...I wonder if any of them can play up front?

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Rafa retires hurt. Cilic in the semi.

I wondered what happened when it disappeared from my tablet screen in the fifth set.

If he can get under Cilic's skin early on then I think Kyle can win it. The Croat's temperament has always been a bit suspect in huge matches. Maybe being favourite will add to that tension? Hopefully so.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
If he wins the semi he becomes Britains number 1 tennis player above Andy.

Which of course is a nonsense. Yes he has done incredibly well in this tournament, and not wishing to demean him in any way whatsoever, we do need to remind ourselves that this is just one competition,. Prior to Australia he hadn't achieved very much at all..

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Which of course is a nonsense. Yes he has done incredibly well in this tournament, and not wishing to demean him in any way whatsoever, we do need to remind ourselves that this is just one competition,. Prior to Australia he hadn't achieved very much at all..

Time will tell, but he does seem to have changed his attitude recently. He's changed his coach and now train in Bermuda, so maybe he's coming of age - albeit a bit late. Then, Konta did much the same. I'll reserve judgement but he could make a very decent career, regardless of this comp.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

He's very young though. Only 2 of the 48 players currently above him in the world rankings are younger than his 23. A lot of hard work and massively-improved serve have been the catalyst for this, and I'm sure we'll see a lot more of him, likely to be seeded for Wimbledon. He definitely has a shot against Cilic

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
his mum is a saffa isnt she?

we need to keep finding saffies to fill our sporting teams...I wonder if any of them can play up front?

Yep.

Father born in Wales, but moved to Zimbabwe as a child.

Mother from South Africa.

Born in South Africa but moved to Yorkshire aged 3.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Very tame point here but I helped went along to a kids tennis tournament last summer as my wife is a teacher at one of the schools involved. Firstly it was brilliant to see the kids enjoying the sport without horrific parents shouting as in youth football.

Anyway, it was in Eastbourne and Kyle Edmund popped over from the other court to hand out the medals and give some words of encouragement.

Those kids 7-10 year olds must be utterly awestruck now that the guy they met is doing so well.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Very tame point here but I helped went along to a kids tennis tournament last summer as my wife is a teacher at one of the schools involved. Firstly it was brilliant to see the kids enjoying the sport without horrific parents shouting as in youth football.

Anyway, it was in Eastbourne and Kyle Edmund popped over from the other court to hand out the medals and give some words of encouragement.

Those kids 7-10 year olds must be utterly awestruck now that the guy they met is doing so well.

What was his accent like?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Apart from being a Davis Cup champion, along with Andy Murray.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yep.

Father born in Wales, but moved to Zimbabwe as a child.

Mother from South Africa.

Born in South Africa but moved to Yorkshire aged 3.

So he's never been English.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here