Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goldstone Memories - 1971/72

Spencer Vignes

Oct 4, 2012
The official attendance for the Bournemouth v Albion game at Dean Court on 1 April 1972 was, get this, 22,540. I just have no idea how that many people could possibly cram into such a place. You do tend to think, looking back at seasons like this with colossal attendances such as the Villa v Bournemouth game and Albion v Rochdale, that incidents like Hillsborough were just waiting to happen. It really was a case of 'There by the grace of God go we' for many, many years.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
You're right, I should have. But, in my defence, I was only 10 at the time and hadn't yet passed my exams. Just to make amends, I'll write a book about Nottinghamshire Police corruption in the 70s and they're mishandling specifically of Albion fans.

Can anyone else remember some story about another Albion charter train bound for Nottingham which every time it went over 45 mph the lights went out and the power went off in the buffet car?
You know the more I think about this Nottingham theme, the more I reckon there might be something in this Ernest!

you hitched to Nottingham aged 10!? How did you get back home? Seriously interested

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
71/2 was all action after Christmas.

The home win against Rotherham was an epic for atmosphere. Beamish scored a last minute winner. The Villa game was fractious in the crowd. No segregation.

Spotland was like a slag heap literally, with corrugated iron fencing like a non-league ground. We've even sold a player that year, Lutton to West Ham. Went to Dean Court but I could not see our goal.
I seem to remember that the Villa were in the Chicken Run that day, well they were at 2pm. After that who knows, my memory is not that good.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I seem to remember that the Villa were in the Chicken Run that day, well they were at 2pm. After that who knows, my memory is not that good.

I only remember drunken Villa fans generally being arrogant, dour, picking arguments (mainly over Brighton fans jumping up an down), turning into punch-ups, and after being punched they got thrown out the ground. By the Police. Like a drunk in a pub mostly. This was before proper hooliganism so it stood out as most visiting clubs did not have many away supporters. A bit of a novelty then. It was an all ticket crowd but no segregation.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Dean court was a bit dodgy that day???

A long walk from the station. Boscombe, I think. Biggest game in the history of Bournemouth at the time. Tickets were in short supply.

A point behind in third place but a game in hand with 2 pts for a win. The last minute goals helped, especially against Rotherham at home and Rochdale away.

Ray Train nearly spoilt the party in the home game against Rochdale. .

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
That last game against Rochdale at the Goldstone was one heck of an evening. A gate of over 34,000. We needed a draw to go up. They needed a draw to stay up. The result- 1-1. On the pitch as soon as the final whistle blew and the players appeared in the West Stand for their adoration.
Then, it was off to the Windmill pub in Upper North Street, before heading for the Old Steine to completely wreck the gardens. How was I to know I'd be looking after them a few years' later!
However, the away game at Rochdale a few weeks earlier was one of the best ever. Brighton supporters completely took over Rochdale for the day. A gate of 4,000 consisting of 3,000 Albion fans. Gates smashed open before the game, so we all got in without paying. Straight across the pitch at half-time to take their end and be at the end we'd be kicking towards, and a 2-1 win. Looking back, I was quite the football hooligan!

Remember it well.
Was living in Bournemouth at the time and travelled along to Brighton in my old Austin A40,leaving plenty of time,in case of breakdown. Absolutely heaving at the Goldstone;reckon 2 or 3 thousand never got in. The right result for both teams..............surprise, surprise.
Happy days.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
Dean court was a bit dodgy that day???
I didn't go as being only 15/16 but a mate went and said fights before and after the game which resulted in a stampede back to the station.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
The official attendance for the Bournemouth v Albion game at Dean Court on 1 April 1972 was, get this, 22,540. I just have no idea how that many people could possibly cram into such a place. You do tend to think, looking back at seasons like this with colossal attendances such as the Villa v Bournemouth game and Albion v Rochdale, that incidents like Hillsborough were just waiting to happen. It really was a case of 'There by the grace of God go we' for many, many years.

Blimey, can't see how that number got into Dean Court.
I was squashed up in one of the corners.A really tense game and we were up against the division's superstar strikers, Ted McDougall and Phil Boyer. From memory it ended up all square at 1-1 with Bertie Lutton scoring our equaliser, I think.

Spencer Vignes

Oct 4, 2012
I had a bit of wonderlust when I was 10 but, alas, hitching to Nottingham in '78 was beyond my remit. I just meant that I hitched to a few games up north during the mid to late eighties and also while at Polytechnic in London between 1988 and 1991. It was quite easy back then; just catch an underground train to near the start of whatever main you needed (M11, A1, M1) and stick out your hand. Wearing an Albion scarf with the Seagull showing would almost guarantee you a lift with our fans, but more often that not it was someone with zero interest in football who picked you up. Hitching was great - I even went round Australia that way. Shame it seems to have died a death, in the UK at least.

rudolf hucker

Jul 26, 2009
Hove
Those were the best days of my life. Went to nearly every game home and away. Had to be on your toes at a lot of away grounds because of hooligan elephants but the excitement was indescribable. At that time there was not a camera on every street corner The Villa home game was the first time the long arm of the law managed to catch my collar at a game. Still look at the early 70s with great fondness.
Life is all a bit clinical now.

macky

Dec 28, 2004
He was a very good friend of mine, think it was hit and run on the A23 if i remember rightly. I went to his funeral.
just thought it was bomber not paddy wasn't paddy his brother ?

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Does anyone else who attended that Bournemouth away game that season remember a bloke who appeared from behind the top wall of the Brighton Beach End where we massed, proclaiming it's "Broyton". Not Brighton? He got dragged off of the wall, was given a good kicking and consequently what was left of him, carried out by Police and Ambulance Men. Ah, the memories of the Good Old Days!

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I had a bit of wonderlust when I was 10 but, alas, hitching to Nottingham in '78 was beyond my remit. I just meant that I hitched to a few games up north during the mid to late eighties and also while at Polytechnic in London between 1988 and 1991. It was quite easy back then; just catch an underground train to near the start of whatever main you needed (M11, A1, M1) and stick out your hand. Wearing an Albion scarf with the Seagull showing would almost guarantee you a lift with our fans, but more often that not it was someone with zero interest in football who picked you up. Hitching was great - I even went round Australia that way. Shame it seems to have died a death, in the UK at least.

think it's because it isn't easy to stop and pick up hikers now. I used to do it late 70s, early 80s, but when I think of the state of some of the vehicles/drivers (drunk/stoned) .......

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
We didn't get back from Rochdale until 4 o'clock Sunday afternoon. Hired van.

34,766 crowd with thousands locked out and you could hear a pin drop after Ray Train scored for them at home. Too packed on to clap the Albion goal. Couldn't move my arms.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
It was a CONSPIRACY by the POLICE to stop the FANS getting there as there was NO room in the ground at Forest for them, as a so called 'JOURNALIST' you should have KNOWN this

Was the Trent overflowing or was it just the rain?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here