Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] PL not to use VAR next season.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I would suggest I have a lot more experience of how this works than a know it all on a tin pot local radio station with no football experience at all.other than to be able to name driop.

What I said was true FIFA can with a little effort do what they want and you being a green supporter should realise the value of lobbying to achieve what you want.

PUFFED UP NOBODY-NO NOTHING ----- that's you by the way BG.
Don't ever forget I was the one that outed you years ago.
I notice your supporters like Beached Gut have died out or are too embarrassed to post on your behalf much.
:moo:

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
FIFA have decided that VAR decisions will be shown on the big screens with detailed analysis of what is going on during the World Cup.

Mad. Our penalty against spurs was given on opinion of ref which to me unless obvious mistake made is what he is there for. If VAR was available could have been referred just to get someone else opinion.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
FIFA have decided that VAR decisions will be shown on the big screens with detailed analysis of what is going on during the World Cup.

Not quite right. They’ve made very clear that no replays will be shown until AFTER the decision has been reached.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
PUFFED UP NOBODY-NO NOTHING ----- that's you by the way BG.
Don't ever forget I was the one that outed you years ago.
I notice your supporters like Beached Gut have died out or are too embarrassed to post on your behalf much.
:moo:

They've now deduced that the wobbly lines on VAR, are down to vibrations from aircraft taking off from Heathrow!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Not quite right. They’ve made very clear that no replays will be shown until AFTER the decision has been reached.

If that is so I must have misread it as I took it to mean to that they would show it as it happens as there is no point once the decision has been made.

You misread it.

FLORENCE, Italy (Reuters) - Spectators at World Cup matches will be able to see replays of incidents which are reviewed by the video assistant referee (VAR) on the stadium screen once a decision has been made, FIFA said on Wednesday.

FIFA, responding to criticism that fans are often in the dark over the use of the VAR system, said the crowd would also be informed when a decision was being reviewed and why a given decision had been reached, such as a disallowed goal or revoked penalty.

Soccer’s rule-making body IFAB approved the use of the VAR system in March and FIFA subsequently confirmed that it would be used at the World Cup in Russia.

The system is already being used on a trial basis in Serie A and the Bundesliga, among other competitions, although its use has led to confusion and there are worries that system is still not working smoothly enough for a big tournament.

“We know communications inside the stadium and outside is important..we are learning the experience of different leagues,” IFAB’s head of technology Sebastian Runge told reporters.

Runge said a system had been introduced to ensure that the crowd at World Cup matches knew what was happening.

A FIFA member of staff in the video operations room will inform the operator of the stadium screen plus broadcasters and commentators as soon as the referee is in communication with the VAR over a decision.

If the referee decides to review the incident, that would also be communicated and once the decision is made, it would be announced on the screen with the reason and the incident would be replayed.

“We are not showing any replays while the referee is making the decision, only afterwards,” Runge added.

“We don’t want the referee to be influenced by the crowd...if we showed what is happening on the screen before the decision, there would be some reaction and it could have an influence.”

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
You beat me to it.

We need some sort of technological help, whether it's a redesigned VAR, or something else.

On a slightly lighter note, Adrian Durham and Jim 'Sky Sports' White will be pleased. A successful video system would take away 90% of their material.

606 might have to talk about the football rather than referring decisions and Arsene Wenger.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Personally I am a supporter of technology being used to assist the Referee.

Still think they have some work to do on the system though.

Work in progress, innit.

Withdean

Nov 5, 2017
Watch a few NFL games. It’s so much quicker and lacks the farce it is now.

“Russian World cup decided by VAR. “
you read it here first.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
If that is so I must have misread it as I took it to mean to that they would show it as it happens as there is no point once the decision has been made.

Why is there no point to it after the decision? I can understand wanting to see it while the ref decides, I understand that seeing it while the ref decides gives the fans something to do while there is a break in play. Showing it after the decision is made, allows the fans to see why the decision was made and avoids the potential for fans to unduly influence the ref while he is making the decision. It may not be what some people consider ideal, but it is far from pointless.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I believe that once it goes to VAR he should make the final decision without consulting or discussing it anybody else. It has gone to him because either the on field ref has made a mistake or is unsure so why consult him

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I believe that once it goes to VAR he should make the final decision without consulting or discussing it anybody else. It has gone to him because either the on field ref has made a mistake or is unsure so why consult him

But that doesn't address the issue of showing the replay on the big screen.

The issue here is of showing the video on the big screens (so that everyone in the stadium can see the replay and any relevant info - lines to clarify offside etc). FIFA will how it after the decision has been made so the fans in attendance can see what the ref saw (I've already state my issue with that earlier in the thread) and how he came to his decision (or the VAR came to his decision, whoever makes it).

You said it is pointless to show the replay on the big screens after the decision has been made. That is a completely different issue to whether, in accordance with the current laws of the game, the referee makes the decision, or whether we invite inconsistency and complications by allowing the Video assistant to make the decision.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

That was to address the issue of supporters exerting pressure on the on field ref

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
No I dont and they wont if the VAR has the final say.

Nor will they exert pressure if the replay is shown after the decision regardless of whether it's the VAR or the referee making the decision. So why say it is pointless to show the replays on the big screen after a decision has been made?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here