Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I'm obviously cursed with the inability to have an original thought. Do you fancy a highly paid position as a script-writer?

I wouldn't go that far but mainly/only sourcing material from one clearly partisan news source suggests claims to be seeking a centre ground/ consensus pov may be flawed.

I am always open to new offers, especially the ones containing the phrase 'highly paid'. :D

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I wouldn't go that far but mainly/only sourcing material from one clearly partisan news source suggests claims to be seeking a centre ground/ consensus pov may be flawed.

I am always open to new offers, especially the ones containing the phrase 'highly paid'. :D

Well the 'centre ground' claim is laced with a liberal (sic) dash of irony as of course Brexit is an issue which polarises (as we all know better then most). My main ambition is to edge the debate towards reasoned argument but we all fall victim to the temptation to wind-up and 'respond in kind' on occasion, including me.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Well the 'centre ground' claim is laced with a liberal (sic) dash of irony as of course Brexit is an issue which polarises (as we all know better then most). My main ambition is to edge the debate towards reasoned argument but we all fall victim to the temptation to wind-up and 'respond in kind' on occasion, including me.

As you have previously highlighted the positions of most people wasting time on this thread are irreconcilable. For reasoned argument to have a chance I would expect people to consider the possibility they may be wrong and at the very least wait for the democratic will of the majority to be enacted before righting it off as a disaster.

Wind-ups, shocking admission. I hope I never succumb ...

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
As you have previously highlighted the positions of most people wasting time on this thread are irreconcilable. For reasoned argument to have a chance I would expect people to consider the possibility they may be wrong and at the very least wait for the democratic will of the majority to be enacted before righting it off as a disaster.

I have considered and am confident you and the extreme Brexit proposals from you and a few others such as the man of the people JR-M are wrongheaded and that you all need to take a long holiday somewhere hot and party very hard

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I have considered and am confident you and the extreme Brexit proposals from you and a few others such as the man of the people JR-M are wrongheaded and that you all need to take a long holiday somewhere hot and party very hard

As you have come to such a considered judgement could you identify (direct quotes would be helpful) what my 'extreme Brexit proposals' are?

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

I have a little theme tune for you to be played as the background music while out country slides down the very steep hill that awaits us after Brexit :)

Oh Lord it's hard to be humble
When you're perfect in every way
I can't wait to look in the mirror
Cause I get better looking each day
To know me is to love me
I must be a hell of a man
Oh Lord It's hard to be humble,
But I'm doing the best that I can

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009

You are right. As long as you believe that a freely taken democratic decision cannot overtake any previous such decision, even when those taking it feel they have reasons to change their view, then I am afraid we are irreconcilable.

Never mind. We shall just have to rub along together, you on one side of the debate and all us loons on the other.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
You are right. As long as you believe that a freely taken democratic decision cannot overtake any previous such decision, even when those taking it feel they have reasons to change their view, then I am afraid we are irreconcilable.

Never mind. We shall just have to rub along together, you on one side of the debate and all us loons on the other.

Yes I believed the outcome of the referendum should be enacted no matter the result, as promised by the UK government. A democratic decision further endorsed by parliament and a General Election. All following a fine long-standing democratic principle of enacting the will of the people. Once enacted people have the democratic choice to vote to reverse the decision at some point in the future if they so wish.

I realise others do think to ignore the democratic voice of the electorate when you don't like the result and keep asking the question in the hope you eventually get the answer you want (including using a process you have no faith in) obviously immediately superseding all previous votes is reasonable.

I'll think you'll find it's all of us who respect democratic outcomes on my side of the debate with just a few loons on the other.

http://www.bmgresearch.co.uk/bmg-po...trol-still-resonates-majority-british-voters/

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

So let me get this straight - your contribution to 'reasoned debate' is that you're right and anyone who disagrees with your opinion is wrong-headed and needs to take a long holiday?

Righto!

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Yes I believed the outcome of the referendum should be enacted no matter the result, as promised by the UK government. A democratic decision further endorsed by parliament and a General Election. All following a fine long-standing democratic principle of enacting the will of the people. Once enacted people have the democratic choice to vote to reverse the decision at some point in the future if they so wish.

I realise others do think to ignore the democratic voice of the electorate when you don't like the result and keep asking the question in the hope you eventually get the answer you want (including using a process you have no faith in) obviously immediately superseding all previous votes is reasonable.

I'll think you'll find it's all of us who respect democratic outcomes on my side of the debate with just a few loons on the other.

http://www.bmgresearch.co.uk/bmg-po...trol-still-resonates-majority-british-voters/

I'm sorry but your middle para is just a rehash of ancient and largely inaccurate leaver-myths, garnished on this occasion with another example of misusing the verb 'ignore'.

Before the referendum I said in conversation with you that I thought Leave would win. If there was a second (and obviously conclusive) referendum on the terms and implications when known, I think that, as things stand right now, Leave would probably win again.

So there was really no point in your posting your link, just as there is really no point in your astonishingly lofty pronouncements that yours is the only true way.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I'm sorry but your middle para is just a rehash of ancient and largely inaccurate leaver-myths, garnished on this occasion with another example of misusing the verb 'ignore'.

Before the referendum I said in conversation with you that I thought Leave would win. If there was a second (and obviously conclusive) referendum on the terms and implications when known, I think that, as things stand right now, Leave would probably win again.

So there was really no point in your posting your link, just as there is really no point in your astonishingly lofty pronouncements that yours is the only true way.

No need to be sorry I think I accurately characterise the second referendum case, just wish people would be more honest about it.

As the public and the major political parties have signalled they don't want/won't hold another referendum .. we will never know.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
So let me get this straight - your contribution to 'reasoned debate' is that you're right and anyone who disagrees with your opinion is wrong-headed and needs to take a long holiday?

A perfect description of your current comrade in arms.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
No need to be sorry I think I accurately characterise the second referendum case, just wish people would be more honest about it.

I wasn't really sorry, I was just being polite. And that was the nearest I come to being dishonest. Please accept the integrity of other people's opinions, even if you don't agree with them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here