Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fatboyslim's BHAFC celebration at Wildlife

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
poor old Norm.......he just keeps flogging the same dead horse.....surely there's a productive synapse left in there somewhere......he is left floundering in the wake of today's producers.... and no , i don't mead Dave "feckin" Gwetta.

and yet look at all those thousands of people really enjoying his live set and not posting snidey comments on the internet.......

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
and yet look at all those thousands of people really enjoying his live set and not posting snidey comments on the internet.......

Every generation enjoys hearing the music of their youth, look at the number of sixties bands still doing the rounds. The music of the late nineties, early 2000s must be moving towards Nostalgia. What was the average age of the fans at Wildlife?

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Every generation enjoys hearing the music of their youth, look at the number of sixties bands still doing the rounds. The music of the late nineties, early 2000s must be moving towards Nostalgia. What was the average age of the fans at Wildlife?

I'd say 95% of the people there were under 25.

FBS is a massively respected DJ, with some absolute classic tunes to his name. He was playing the closing set and a festival geared towards dance music that's basically in his adopted home town. That's why he drew a big crowd, not because of nostalgia.

:shrug:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

FBS is a massively respected DJ, with some absolute classic tunes to his name. He was playing the closing set and a festival geared towards dance music that's basically in his adopted home town. That's why he drew a big crowd, not because of nostalgia.

Hey, I am in no way criticising here. I love the nostalgia of the sixties, the era I grew up in. I just don't think Fatboy Slim is cutting edge in 2017 :shrug:

You are probably right, he is a Brighton legend and rightly so!

Tekanne

Feb 4, 2015

Being part of the 'scene' for a long time, FBS is definitely not regarded as a well respected DJ. Quite the opposite. He is paid A LOT (and I mean a lot) of money to put on a show, hence the big LED screens, f***ing awful EDM he plays and acting into a camera. I very much doubt he enjoys playing the music he does nowadays TBH, but that's his brand now, and he's very successful with it!

He has made some incredible music as well.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
poor old Norm.......he just keeps flogging the same dead horse.....surely there's a productive synapse left in there somewhere......he is left floundering in the wake of today's producers.... and no , i don't mead Dave "feckin" Gwetta.

Who do you mean then?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Well it's not Brandon Block, if that's any help :lolol:

:smile:

I'm genuinely curious if [MENTION=420]sydney[/MENTION] is comparing him to the current British, mainland European or the EDM lot over the pond. I am just curious though. My own take is I rarely care if music is current, creative, relevant, honest or whatever. Sometimes I like someone for their creativity sometimes I like someone purely because it's fun. Fatboy is definitely the latter. Do you always need to push the boundaries? No, you don't. If Fatboy didn't turn up with enough lasers, dry ice, air horns and smiley graphics then I'd complain.

Incidentally I'm seeing Fatboy next month and he is playing a 4 hour set which he has said is the longest he's played for 20 years. I'll let you know how I get on

#WrongSideOf40HaveNotDancedForThatLongIn20YearsMyself

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
:smile:

I'm genuinely curious if [MENTION=420]sydney[/MENTION] is comparing him to the current British, mainland European or the EDM lot over the pond. I am just curious though. My own take is I rarely care if music is current, creative, relevant, honest or whatever. Sometimes I like someone for their creativity sometimes I like someone purely because it's fun. Fatboy is definitely the latter. Do you always need to push the boundaries? No, you don't. If Fatboy didn't turn up with enough lasers, dry ice, air horns and smiley graphics then I'd complain.

I think with the dj dance music scene, there's always ones that come and go.
FBS is one that has continued to adapt with the times, no matter the age range.
Pete Tong and Dave Pearce are also of a similar ilk, changing to suit their audience.
All good to listen now, even though I'm probably biased from my R1 and Kiss FM listening days.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think with the dj dance music scene, there's always ones that come and go.
FBS is one that has continued to adapt with the times, no matter the age range.
Pete Tong and Dave Pearce are also of a similar ilk, changing to suit their audience.
All good to listen now, even though I'm probably biased from my R1 and Kiss FM listening days.

I'd agree Fatboy has certainly changed his sets over the past 5-6 years and they are more in line with EDM in sonic content and "DJ as performer" now. That said they're not strictly EDM so he has his own little niche where he can goof around. And he certainly has a new audience. I last saw him a couple of years back and the crowd was mainly 25 and below. Old timers were definitely in the minority and I guess the Eat, Sleep track got him a new crowd.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I'd agree Fatboy has certainly changed his sets over the past 5-6 years and they are more in line with EDM in sonic content and "DJ as performer" now. That said they're not strictly EDM so he has his own little niche where he can goof around. And he certainly has a new audience. I last saw him a couple of years back and the crowd was mainly 25 and below. Old timers were definitely in the minority.

Talking of old timers, I think [MENTION=25123]SIMMO SAYS[/MENTION] was a dj in his yoof.
He went under the name of DJ Plumb :cool:

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
At least he's moved on to CDs
The guy is hopeless at mixing, instead he just turns up the bass or cuts the treble on tracks.
Still a legend though and can entertain a crowd.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here