Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Flight Delay wangle

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You going / did you go directly to the companies (easy jet / virgin)? Had a 4 hour or so delay from easyjet - I did a 3rd party claim and a direct one just to be safe and not heard back from either. It's been 30 days now which was the time they'd told me the claim would take (Max) - how quickly was your reply from them pls HT?

Directly. I initially filled out their online form. I had a reply a week or so later saying that as I was a no-show I wasn't eligible for a refund. I emailed back explaining my day-return flight was delayed to such a degree it rendered the entire trip useless.....then nothing for a few weeks. I'm a member of their frequent flyer Flight Club so I rang this and explained my situation. Again I got fobbed off with the no-show argument which I countered by saying I showed up at the airport (All my train tickets are on my phone so I could prove it). I asked to speak to someone senior and during the conversation quoted the "we're on your side" Flight Club mission statement back to them and asked how they felt this sat with my situation. They then offered to reimburse the total cost of my flight with vouchers; I was happy with this.

Good luck.

Edit: something to consider is they had messaged me saying the flight was delayed due to technical reason ie it was within their control.

Last edited:

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
From what I've been told, the next line down in your table will probably show it arriving at LGW very late from Montego Bay (presumably more expense for Virgin) before it flew VS15.

Yes, just checked it should have landed at 09:45 LGW but actually arrived at 15:00. So yes a triple expense!

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Thats PR - which Virgin (despite being an isolated carrier that missed the alliance boat and is now effectively run from Singapore) excel at. It's not a loophole, but it's simply good PR to be seen to be proactive about legislation that is not in their interests and penalises them for circumstances outside of their control.

No longer run from Singapore, they sold the shares to Delta

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
From what I've been told, the next line down in your table will probably show it arriving at LGW very late from Montego Bay (presumably more expense for Virgin) before it flew VS15.

That was down for technical issue, which is where this law falls down.

Cutting corners, rushing tech staff is already happening

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Directly. I initially filled out their online form. I had a reply a week or so later saying that as I was a no-show I wasn't eligible for a refund. I emailed back explaining my day-return flight was delayed to such a degree it rendered the entire trip useless.....then nothing for a few weeks. I'm a member of their frequent flyer Flight Club so I rang this and explained my situation. Again I got fobbed off with the no-show argument which I countered by saying I showed up at the airport (All my train tickets are on my phone so I could prove it). I asked to speak to someone senior and during the conversation quoted the "we're on your side" Flight Club mission statement back to them and asked how they felt this sat with my situation. They then offered to reimburse the total cost of my flight with vouchers; I was happy with this.

Good luck.

Edit: something to consider is they had messaged me saying the flight was delayed due to technical reason ie it was within their control.

Very helpful ta. I seem to remember seeing on the app that is was delayed for 'storms in Budapest' and also 'air traffic control' which I believe (if true) wouldn't mean we're eligible for refund. 7 hours at s fairly bland Alicante airport with a 5 yr old makes me think otherwise but we'll see...!

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
You going / did you go directly to the companies (easy jet / virgin)? Had a 4 hour or so delay from easyjet - I did a 3rd party claim and a direct one just to be safe and not heard back from either. It's been 30 days now which was the time they'd told me the claim would take (Max) - how quickly was your reply from them pls HT?

I would suggest a follow up 'nudge' email if its been more than 30 days. ie, you require a response within 14 days. Some airlines play hardball more than others despite having lost test cases in the courts. Norwegian for example, are terrible. They have a record/pattern of ignoring initial requests for delay compensation in the hope some people won't pursue and the problem will go away.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
You going / did you go directly to the companies (easy jet / virgin)? Had a 4 hour or so delay from easyjet - I did a 3rd party claim and a direct one just to be safe and not heard back from either. It's been 30 days now which was the time they'd told me the claim would take (Max)

Think you might have shot yourself in the foot there. Far from 'just to be safe', they probably think you're trying to scam them by effectively claiming for the same compo twice. And even if they don't think that, it's certainly clouded the waters for your claim which will now take longer to sort out. Why on earth would you go with 3rd party claim firm when the easyjet process is straightforward and the compo is paid out promptly - and in full - where the reason for the delay is clear cut and deemed to be within the airline's control.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Could you be arsed? This constant demand by people desperate to try and make a quick buck by demanding compensation for everything and anything just drives up the prices for everyone else. Did he get whiplash when they took off too?

When I pay good money for a service I expect it to be delivered as agreed - doesn't matter if it's a meal, a train journey, a flight or even a product from a supermarket. If the supplier doesn't deliver then I expect compensation of some kind. I guess if an Amex match was abandoned on say 60 minutes you would expect free entry to the re- arranged match - i.e. compensation ?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Think you might have shot yourself in the foot there. Far from 'just to be safe', they probably think you're trying to scam them by effectively claiming for the same compo twice. And even if they don't think that, it's certainly clouded the waters for your claim which will now take longer to sort out. Why on earth would you go with 3rd party claim firm when the easyjet process is straightforward and the compo is paid out promptly - and in full - where the reason for the delay is clear cut and deemed to be within the airline's control.

Didn't know you could do it directly and happened we to see 3rd party advert... No chance that will shoot myself in foot - always worth blagging whatever you can - I'm not sure either claim has officially started anyway it seems... Although if it's air traffic control I don't think I'll be getting anything - hence at least the 3rd party will push and push if there is a chance...

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Didn't know you could do it directly and happened we to see 3rd party advert... No chance that will shoot myself in foot - always worth blagging whatever you can - I'm not sure either claim has officially started anyway it seems... Although if it's air traffic control I don't think I'll be getting anything - hence at least the 3rd party will push and push if there is a chance...

You DO realise that the 3rd party will only pass on to Easyjet the exact same details that you yourself passed on to Easyjet directly? And that Easyjet wil have a well-established process for weeding out multiple claims for the same delay. Oh, well, good luck anyways, let us know how it goes.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
You DO realise that the 3rd party will only pass on to Easyjet the exact same details that you yourself passed on to Easyjet directly? And that Easyjet wil have a well-established process for weeding out multiple claims for the same delay. Oh, well, good luck anyways, let us know how it goes.

But as I said, they may push harder or know certain questions to ask / buttons to push if easyjet are reluctant whereas I wouldn't....

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
But as I said, they may push harder or know certain questions to ask / buttons to push if easyjet are reluctant whereas I wouldn't....

Gonna leave it now, and let you get on with it. All I'd say is that I and many of my friends have been subject to easyjet direct processing of delay claims. They are bound by European law to provide you with delay compensation, subject to the various get-outs clauses that you can double-check for yourself, and subject to those get-out clauses, they will promptly pay up the full amount as per regulations. There is rarely, if ever, a need to insert a middleman claims company into the process. If they're successful, all they'll do is skim off a percentage of the compo you would have got if you'd gone direct to the airline. Fair enough if you were never aware of those European regulations but maybe tuck that info away for future use? Like I say, good luck with your claim :thumbsup:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Flying back to Gatwick from Orlando tomorrow , hope I don't encounter any delays

So's my Mrs and her family. Best of luck!

1. Do either of these groups have a kid with a volt yellow Albion kit with 'Fred' printed on the back?
2. [MENTION=167]Willow[/MENTION] - do you have glasses and an Albion backpack?
2. [MENTION=21578]Worthingite[/MENTION] - does your Mrs have a son who took an old-ish home shirt (Donatello printed on the back) with him?

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
1. Do either of these groups have a kid with a volt yellow Albion kit with 'Fred' printed on the back?
2. [MENTION=21578]Worthingite[/MENTION] - does your Mrs have a son who took an old-ish home shirt (Donatello printed on the back) with him?

No, she's 27, so that would concern me!!!!

She has seen two different sets of visible Albion supporters whilst over there though. One set in the magic kingdom, the other in the rainforest cafe

willow147

Mar 16, 2011
Romney Marsh, Kent
I do have glasses but not the backpack.

I've only worn my black away shirt around the hotel (Animal Kingdom Lodge) swimming pool, certainly wouldn't wear it around any of the parks, I'm a bit old for that now.

Not seen any signs of any other fellow supporters but sadly did see a palace shirt with Zaha printed on the back.

The low point of the trip though is my wife booked a table for our family to eat at 'The Crystal Palace' in Magic Kingdom, I'll never forgive her for that.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The low point of the trip though is my wife booked a table for our family to eat at 'The Crystal Palace' in Magic Kingdom, I'll never forgive her for that.

We went twice. It's a first morning tradition for us, and we went again on our last night at WDW.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here