Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Restaurant 2017

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
So, went to Silo last night and whilst I was a little disappointed with my main I really enjoyed the experience. The morning after I'm now wondering if the two absolutely belting starters I had played a part; it was impossible for the main to better them. Overall I love what they do and it was a lovely evening.

Start was peas and a really pungent local cheese warmed up to have the texture and consistency of melting ice cream . Bit of mint in there I think and some olive oll. Next starter was a hunk of blood sausage and black currents and a red wine reduction. Big hitting trilogy of flavours and the sausage was crisped on the ends to give some balance to the textures. My main was sliced mushroom and a compressed potato block with bone marrow gravy. Taken on its own it might have worked but after the two starters it struggled to keep its head up. The lady chose Huss with a kind of pesto and this was much better and more in tune with the upward trajectory we were on. Im more of a cheese person but the desserts were bang on the money with lots going on in texture, tastes, and temperature. I was disappointed they didn't have any Sussex fizz on the wine list so had to have French fizzy apéritifs instead. Had a very nice locally brewed APA and decided to take a plunge with a bottle of natural "orange wine." Started off nice and I liked the slight sour/tartness but became a struggle towards the end. I simply ordered too much.

The venue was nice, staff fun and the cherry on the top was them playing Floating Points' Elaenia album; having this in the background was a nice touch. I ended up chatting to the waiter about their/his new album. They also gave us a loaf of bread which we gave to a young couple we got talking to in The Evening Star afterwards.

Great food, great beer, great music-great evening.

CinCin on Saturday then our Premier League debut.

I went with another WSU season ticket holder and our partners two or three weeks back. We ordered the entire menu option (for two), so we had the same dishes as you, more or less. Agree on those two starters (although our black pudding came with red- and not blackcurrants: seasonality, I presume), but we also had broccoli with dashi, which was also stunning. Also agree on the mushroom, potato dish -- which was the most disappointing, while still decent -- although it was boosted by the bone marrow. I'd rave more about the huss, which was perfectly executed, as I would about the bread, the butter and the ferments. We also had that orange wine too, which worked better when shared between four. They also do a delightful Bacchus. They've selected natural wines well.
Overall, they have a clear identity but, most importantly, they project that identity in the best possible light, which indicates that their understanding of ingredients and cooking are top notch. Projecting an identity in the best possible light is how I'd describe St John too, and I'm coming round to the view that Fergus et al have had one of the most important influences on the UK restaurant scene of any chef/restaurant.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Where's good in London for steak? I used to be a Hawksmoor regular and never let me down, not been for a while but is there better? Usually go Seven Dials.

I am a big Goodmans fan from my time in Canary Wharf as prefer USDA beef, but it's for a Saturday and Mayfair is too far, city branch doesn't open at weekends.

Try Temper in Soho, been there a couple of times and as smokehouses go, it's in a league of its own.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I went with another WSU season ticket holder and our partners two or three weeks back. We ordered the entire menu option (for two), so we had the same dishes as you, more or less. Agree on those two starters (although our black pudding came with red- and not blackcurrants: seasonality, I presume), but we also had broccoli with dashi, which was also stunning. Also agree on the mushroom, potato dish -- which was the most disappointing, while still decent -- although it was boosted by the bone marrow. I'd rave more about the huss, which was perfectly executed, as I would about the bread, the butter and the ferments. We also had that orange wine too, which worked better when shared between four. They also do a delightful Bacchus. They've selected natural wines well.
Overall, they have a clear identity but, most importantly, they project that identity in the best possible light, which indicates that their understanding of ingredients and cooking are top notch. Projecting an identity in the best possible light is how I'd describe St John too, and I'm coming round to the view that Fergus et al have had one of the most important influences on the UK restaurant scene of any chef/restaurant.

Interesting response, thanks. Seems we have very similar thoughts on Silo.

I also went to Cin Cin pre-match. I took in both specials which was a small board of Prosecco washed cheeses for the starter and a main of dragonteeth pasta stuffed with N'duja on chilli, mint, broad beans, peas and mascarpone. Fresh, light and well executed and perfect for lunch.

I hit Bardsleys on Friday night during a Brighton craft tour.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Interesting response, thanks. Seems we have very similar thoughts on Silo.

I also went to Cin Cin pre-match. I took in both specials which was a small board of Prosecco washed cheeses for the starter and a main of dragonteeth pasta stuffed with N'duja on chilli, mint, broad beans, peas and mascarpone. Fresh, light and well executed and perfect for lunch.

I hit Bardsleys on Friday night during a Brighton craft tour.

Where did you go craft wise?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Where did you go craft wise?

The Evening Star
The Pond
The William IV
Brewdog
The Richmond
The Albert
The Mitre
The Yellow Book

Although I went to the Albert and The Mitre for cask ale.

Don Parasol

Jan 29, 2017

Spot on - I couldn't agree more. I went the other day with a large group and thought it was excellent. It's maybe my 5th visit and it's been impressive every time. The starters were outstanding - the pea, cheese and broad beans was superb. Unsurprisingly they overshadowed the potato and mushroom main, which was the weakest dish, but the desserts were faultless and a real pleasure (the sea buckthorn dish, and the goat's milk ice cream one). Douglas is supremely talented and experiments a lot and consequently not every dish is perfect... but what he's able to do with ingredients - especially unexpected ones repeatedly surprises me.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I notice Troll's Hash House has closed and been replaced by something else. That didn't last long. What's the story there?

Jul 7, 2003
I notice Troll's Hash House has closed and been replaced by something else. That didn't last long. What's the story there?

I think he only had it on a short term lease. Burger shack is still in place though and he is also selling burgers at events and at Florence Road Saturday market.

He is still looking to try something different but hasn't found anything that works as well as his burgers yet. He is also switching back to bigger single patties rather than two small ones which will hopefully get him back to the top. I found the small patties didn't give the great flavour he used to provide.

On the subject of burgers, a group of us tried the Dizzy Gull burgers at Brighton Beer Dispensary last week. Was very tasty meat served medium with a good balance of flavours in the topping and came with good chips. Portion didn't look too big on the plate but the burger was very filling. Pork cheek tacos also looked very good in there.

Finally, with Sing Li still shut I have used the newish chippy just around the corner on Terminus Road after the last two games. The chips are quite good and you get a very generous sized portion for £1.60. Battered sausage is also not bad as these places go.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Finally, with Sing Li still shut I have used the newish chippy just around the corner on Terminus Road after the last two games. The chips are quite good and you get a very generous sized portion for £1.60. Battered sausage is also not bad as these places go.

Have considered that place and will no doubt give it a try after the Barnet game.

Jul 7, 2003
Finally visited The Woods in Worthing yesterday lunchtime with the family. The place was busy but and we grabbed the last spare table. Service was good and friendly. As for the food, a bit of a mixed bag.

The portions are large and you get a decent portion of fries for your money - needed as they are not included with your main course. The Dirdy Bird is a huge beast of a meal but very good - chicken fillets with bacon and maple syrup in a waffle (or bun). Really enjoyed this but unless you have a huge appetite, one to share. The burgers are 3oz burgers and not great. They don't have much flavour, are too thin and lack seasoning. They would be better of cooking one good 6oz burger so you can taste the meat.

One complaint from my group was the cheese on both the burgers and the fancy fries. It was okay to start with but as is congealed, it became harder to eat and didn't taste very nice.

Drinks were reasonable, the cola iced tea was nice and different. Value wasn't bad.

Overall, not bad but could do with a few tweaks.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I've been back to the Little Fish Market

Still my favourite place in town. I won't bang on but the Halibut, Gem Lettuce and Sea Herbs was a direct hit.

Also two excellent ways with Mackerel (one pate and one miso glazed) and a banging poached oyster with elderfolwer ice and jersey cream.

It's not cheap (55 quid each for the food for 5 courses including an amuse bouche and a bread course which are not on the menu) but it is good.

9/10

Don Parasol

Jan 29, 2017
I've been back to the Little Fish Market

Still my favourite place in town. I won't bang on but the Halibut, Gem Lettuce and Sea Herbs was a direct hit.

Also two excellent ways with Mackerel (one pate and one miso glazed) and a banging poached oyster with elderfolwer ice and jersey cream.

It's not cheap (55 quid each for the food for 5 courses including an amuse bouche and a bread course which are not on the menu) but it is good.

9/10

Also my favourite place in town, and has been getting slowly better over time. I wouldn't be surprised in September if the Little Fish Market get's the city's first Michelin star, I really hope so anyway. Etch is the other that I think has a chance.

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
Finally visited The Woods in Worthing yesterday lunchtime with the family. The place was busy but and we grabbed the last spare table. Service was good and friendly. As for the food, a bit of a mixed bag.

The portions are large and you get a decent portion of fries for your money - needed as they are not included with your main course. The Dirdy Bird is a huge beast of a meal but very good - chicken fillets with bacon and maple syrup in a waffle (or bun). Really enjoyed this but unless you have a huge appetite, one to share. The burgers are 3oz burgers and not great. They don't have much flavour, are too thin and lack seasoning. They would be better of cooking one good 6oz burger so you can taste the meat.

One complaint from my group was the cheese on both the burgers and the fancy fries. It was okay to start with but as is congealed, it became harder to eat and didn't taste very nice.

Drinks were reasonable, the cola iced tea was nice and different. Value wasn't bad.

Overall, not bad but could do with a few tweaks.

I've been there a couple of times and am always very impressed.

Fantastic cocktails and the vegetarian burger option of battered halloumi in a bun with roasted peppers, pesto, sriracha mayo and salsa is incredible.

A friend ordered their new "secret menu" dessert consisting of four large doughnuts each stuffed with an Oreo and peanut butter, served with chocolate dipping sauce. Seriously good but also pretty sickening and definitely meant for sharing!

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I think he only had it on a short term lease. Burger shack is still in place though and he is also selling burgers at events and at Florence Road Saturday market.

He is still looking to try something different but hasn't found anything that works as well as his burgers yet. He is also switching back to bigger single patties rather than two small ones which will hopefully get him back to the top. I found the small patties didn't give the great flavour he used to provide.

On the subject of burgers, a group of us tried the Dizzy Gull burgers at Brighton Beer Dispensary last week. Was very tasty meat served medium with a good balance of flavours in the topping and came with good chips. Portion didn't look too big on the plate but the burger was very filling. Pork cheek tacos also looked very good in there.

That did make me laugh, you kept the sincerity of a worthy review about a portion of chips and a battered sausage from a local chippy, fair play.

Biffer

Jul 13, 2003
Anyone know why LangeLees has recently closed , to be replaced by a Korean place ?. I did like a LangeLees breakfast on a Saturday.
LangeLees has been up for sale for quite a while. No surprise to see it's gone. Great place but surely wrong location.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here