Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rooney arrested for possible DUI

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
yeah judge ...that'll bloody learn him...:thumbsup: : thumbsup: ad infinitum...ffs 170 quid **** off.

The punishment is the community penalty. The £170 is prosecution cost which is asked for in every case once found or pleaded guilty. It's not means related although a decision not to award costs may be made if it's considered the defendant hasn't got the means to pay it (i.e. If they go straight inside).

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
yeah judge ...that'll bloody learn him...:thumbsup: : thumbsup: ad infinitum...ffs 170 quid **** off.

I guess the court took the view that any fine imposed would be largely insignificant to an individual of Rooney's wealth, therefore chose to impose a community punishment, which will in all probability cause him far more inconvenience. A two year ban is quite long for a first conviction too, although it's obviously aggravated by the high level of alcohol (over three times the limit).

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Any need for the seemingly excessive police presence at the court today? That fu@#wit broke the law and if he needed extra security then he should have paid for it not the fecking taxpayer. Don't care if he is a high profile sportsman or not.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
If the magistrate had the balls to give Rooney 6 points on his license, he would of had more points than Everton

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
e-fit-sketch.jpg

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
I like the way his legal representatives argued that he shouldn't have to do any community service, and Rooney's statement after the verdict says that he hopes that the community work will help to make up for the crime.

Right- the community work that you just argued that you shouldn't have to do.

Yes- I feel like you're hearts really in it Wayne!

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I guess the court took the view that any fine imposed would be largely insignificant to an individual of Rooney's wealth, therefore chose to impose a community punishment, which will in all probability cause him far more inconvenience. A two year ban is quite long for a first conviction too, although it's obviously aggravated by the high level of alcohol (over three times the limit).

fine him a million quid then.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne

The sentencing bench (in this case, as in most "high- profile" cases, a district judge) have very little discretion; there is a table which specifies what the length of disqualification and nature of punishment is, dependant entirely on the level of pissedness.
Once the level is decided, if it's low level and therefore a fine, only then is the defendants means taken into account.
Unfortunately, due to the fine levels having a statutory maximum, they are ineffective for the very wealthy (and, for entirely different reasons, the very poor).

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Arrives with his entourage ...... prick .

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
To be fair, he is doing his Community Service, and said he will be continuing it when his 100 hours are done.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-42397746

Rooney, who said he was about halfway through the community service, added: "I've really enjoyed doing it."

He said he had been working with adults with learning difficulties in a garden centre and had been "helping them with different things they're making over Christmas".

He added: "Honestly, I'm really enjoying it, working with these people, and I think it's a place now where I'll certainly keep in touch with when obviously my hours are over."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here