Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kenneth Zohore

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
It's pretty obvious that leaving our transfer business this late in the window has well and truly smacked us in the face.
Cardiff don't want to sell, and know we are now desperate.

Have to disagree as this is what you'd expect all clubs to say protecting their interests but once the player can smell the money in the Premier League it usually only ends one way!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
In mid July, football writers revealed that (just) Hull and Albion were competing for Zohore.

I wonder what few would have landed him then?

Now Everton, Newcastle and Wolves get mentioned too.

Contrary to popular myth, it seems that there's hyperinflation of transfer fees towards 31 August. That might be a lesson learned for future windows.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
That ends the Zahore transfer to BHAFC idea then. Cardiff will never loan him out - why let go of the striker to propel a club to the PL riches, and only save his wages.

Which narrows our hunt down to Niasse, then of course there's Niasse and the guy who never plays for the Toffees ... Niasse. Meaning Everton may have us over a barrel, and that Parrish/Freedman can destroy that last hope in a second with a call to Everton saying yes, we'll pay the full asking price.

That would be devastating, especially to see the smirking Dougie.

Come on Albion, get deals done.

If Dougie and Prince Charming pay Everton's asking price for Niasse, I genuinely believe it will be us doing the smirking. My main Everton source suggests that they can't wait to get rid of him and would have been happy to loan him out until other clubs created what they hope will be a bidding war.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Is that the same Warnock who said he was retiring from football management after QPR sacked him?

It's not Warnock who has to pay Cardiff's bills either.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
In mid July, football writers revealed that (just) Hull and Albion were competing for Zohore.

Contrary to popular myth, it seems that there's hyperinflation of transfer fees towards 31 August. That might be a lesson learned for future windows.

You don't have to have the brain of an archbishop to realise this would be the case. It staggers me that anyone could have thought otherwise.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

Has anyone actually said prices would go down. The point I have regularly seen made is that more players become available as the end of the window gets nearer due to their clubs signing other players. The idea that the club think prices will go down seems to be something put forward by those wishing to criticise them

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Has anyone actually said prices would go down. The point I have regularly seen made is that more players become available as the end of the window gets nearer due to their clubs signing other players. The idea that the club think prices will go down seems to be something put forward by those wishing to criticise them

Yes. Plenty.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

Clubs like to buy new players before selling those who are no longer required, as not to be left with gaps in thier squads. If a club has a squad of more than 25 players, after buying replacements, at the close of the transfer window, those additional players without a squad number are a drain on the finances. So the nearer you get to the deadline, players without a squad number and who are no longer wanted will be open to offers, just to get them off the books. That is why so much business is done on deadline day, Agents hold out for better offers for thier clients and clubs are desperate to shift unrequired players who are on £30k+ a week.

As in any business negotiation, and in poker, you need to wait, hold your nerve and let the other guy fold first.

Obviously I doubt this is the case with Zohore, but it probably is with Niasse at Everton.

Last edited:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Here's the Warnock bit. Essentially Tan wanted to sell him to us after a £13.5m bid. Warnock wasn't having it.

warnock.png

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
£13.5m seems crazy money, even these days. He's had half a good season in the Championship, and has 1 in 5 this term.

Britt Assombalonga is of similar age and has a far better record at that level, and the Nottingham press reported that the fee for him was just over £10m with the rest made up of add-ons. Even makes Chris Wood look like good value IMO.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
£13.5m seems crazy money, even these days. He's had half a good season in the Championship, and has 1 in 5 this term.

Britt Assombalonga is of similar age and has a far better record at that level, and the Nottingham press reported that the fee for him was just over £10m with the rest made up of add-ons. Even makes Chris Wood look like good value IMO.

I'd agree

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here