Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

**** Official middle-aged man's Craft Beer thread ****

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I went to the Staggeringly Good beer festival on HMS Warrior in Portsmouth a couple of weeks ago, incidentally a fantastic venue for drinking beer, and they had a secret bar, the prize for locating was Cloudwater DIPA London Ale on tap. 9+%, amazing stuff.

I'm going to finish the breakfast shift today and then heading off to Olympia for the Great British beer festival, and to be honest, I'm going looking for the Cloudwater bar as soon as I get there.

Winning! Great brewery huh? Me and my mates are so smitten with Cloudwater we are planning to visit the brewery at one of our away games. I'll post details on here; be cool to maybe organize a NSC Brewery tour or something.

Have fun and please report back.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
I'm up there tomorrow. Really looking forward to trying Tiny Rebel's Mojito Sour. Have heard a lot about Cloudwater's beers but yet to try so definitely will be visiting their stand.

Aristotle

Mar 18, 2008
Edinburgh
Am in Scotland for the next couple of weeks, where's the best places currently to sample your wares?

Where are you going to be? We're really focused in and around Edinburgh. A few ideas for you:

- We have two beers on at Underbelly's Festival venue at George Square for the next week or so (in the tipi bar)

- Other places that often have our beers on rotation - OX184, Holyrood 9A, The Southern, Innis & Gunn Beer Kitchen, Jeremiah's tap room, Empress of Broughton St, The Salvation (Leith)

- Places with bottles - Frederick st coffee house, No8 Lister Sq, Beer Hive, Beer Zoo, Cornelius, all the Vino shops, the Whisky Trail (and a bunch more in town and further a field)

Hope that helps, give me a shout if you need any more pointers!

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
Where are you going to be? We're really focused in and around Edinburgh. A few ideas for you:

- We have two beers on at Underbelly's Festival venue at George Square for the next week or so (in the tipi bar)

- Other places that often have our beers on rotation - OX184, Holyrood 9A, The Southern, Innis & Gunn Beer Kitchen, Jeremiah's tap room, Empress of Broughton St, The Salvation (Leith)

- Places with bottles - Frederick st coffee house, No8 Lister Sq, Beer Hive, Beer Zoo, Cornelius, all the Vino shops, the Whisky Trail (and a bunch more in town and further a field)

Hope that helps, give me a shout if you need any more pointers!
Great, thanks. Based near Stirling, but planning on getting into Edinburgh a couple of times.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Anyone know if it's true that the owner of The Wandering Goose in Worthing is spending some time at his majesty's pleasure?

Just been for a drink and they only had 3 taps on, no clean glasses and 'preferred' card payment. Only 1 member of staff working who said no beer had been ordered as the owner was 'away'

Jul 7, 2003
Anyone know if it's true that the owner of The Wandering Goose in Worthing is spending some time at his majesty's pleasure?

Just been for a drink and they only had 3 taps on, no clean glasses and 'preferred' card payment. Only 1 member of staff working who said no beer had been ordered as the owner was 'away'

I thought he had been holidaying at her majesty's pleasure for a while. Tax evasion in a previous business I was told. Goose has been going down hill for some time now. Few beers on tap, fridges with little variety and youngsters manning the bar who seem to think the music should be played so loud you can hear it on the pier.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I thought he had been holidaying at her majesty's pleasure for a while. Tax evasion in a previous business I was told. Goose has been going down hill for some time now. Few beers on tap, fridges with little variety and youngsters manning the bar who seem to think the music should be played so loud you can hear it on the pier.

Interesting, the lady that told me made it sound like it was recent. Agree re Goose, weird that the Libertine was the complete opposite. Every tap was on, 4 members of staff working but not very busy. Given same company you'd think someone would have sent 1 or 2 of them down to help.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Interesting, the lady that told me made it sound like it was recent. Agree re Goose, weird that the Libertine was the complete opposite. Every tap was on, 4 members of staff working but not very busy. Given same company you'd think someone would have sent 1 or 2 of them down to help.

Not too keen on the Libertine, poor choice of beer compared to The Goose .

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
For those that don’t know, Brewdog ran Collabfest this weekend. This was each Brewdog bar across Europe collaborated with a brewery in that town / city to make a beer which was then sold across every Brewdog bar and rated via Untappd app.

Full beer list at https://t.co/Rl9NegZEwF

I found myself with 90mins in Brighton waiting for the missus so had a few 1/3’s off collab fest to join in. Seemed to be a theme of sweet / fruity type beers. Brighton Brewdog collaborated with Brighton Bier to make a sweet brown sugary stout called Dutch Udder. Interesting concept and good fun. Anyone else join in?

The Floor Is Java was probably my favourite brewed between Liverpool bar and Black Lodge brewery and was a Black Treacle & Coffee IPA. Not to strong and was like a cold press coffee !

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
For those that don’t know, Brewdog ran Collabfest this weekend. This was each Brewdog bar across Europe collaborated with a brewery in that town / city to make a beer which was then sold across every Brewdog bar and rated via Untappd app.

I found myself with 90mins in Brighton waiting for the missus so had a few 1/3’s off collab fest to join in. Seemed to be a theme of sweet / fruity type beers. Brighton Brewdog collaborated with Brighton Bier to make a sweet brown sugary stout called Dutch Udder. Interesting concept and good fun. Anyone else join in?

The Floor Is Java was probably my favourite brewed between Liverpool bar and Black Lodge brewery and was a Black Treacle & Coffee IPA. Not to strong and was like a cold press coffee !

I was in there last night tried a fair few. Off the top of my head the following:-

Rock Lobster
A Guy Called Fudge
Higher Stste IPA
Nuclear Nuts
Passion Fur Berlin

All very good. Would have liked to have tried a few more but a small number of the guests had already gone.

Thecoffeecake

Oct 10, 2017
Philadelphia

Ha, I hope Dutch rudder means the same thing in England as it does here. If so, hats off.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I was in there last night tried a fair few. Off the top of my head the following:-

Rock Lobster
A Guy Called Fudge
Higher Stste IPA
Nuclear Nuts
Passion Fur Berlin

All very good. Would have liked to have tried a few more but a small number of the guests had already gone.

I tried about 12 over 3 days. The Brighton Bier one was very good, the Pina Collabra coconut IPA one was also very nice although couldn't directly taste the coconut. There was a NEIPA which was great and a few nice and fun sours as well. I made a lot of notes but don't have them to hand. It's a great idea which is gaining more traction with each year.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Bit of a deception there methinks. "The world’s best lager is brewed in Crawley."

Erm, no it isn't. The brand is owned by, commissioned by and imported by a Crawley-based company. But it's brewed at the Schweiger brewery - which is not in Sussex, but in Bavaria, just outside Munich.

Wouldn't Happen in Crawley.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here